Audioholics, weigh in.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So the absence of smilies makes my posts harsh? Hmmmmm. I was expressing my opinions guys, not trying to be harsh. :):):)
Hi Johnd,

I was not saying that at all. Sorry if you took it that way I was not singleing anyone out.

Now I've gotta go back and read your posts again...:p

SBF1

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
No apologies necesary sbf1.

Good message with your child. But I was really offended by your new sig. What, do you hate me? Why do you keep picking on me? ;)

Seriously though, good sig. I could certainly adopt that trait, even if just now and then. I start enough fires without even trying.:rolleyes:

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
...began listing laws that I had broke.

1.) No helmet.
2.) Riding on the sidewalk (to which I pointed out they were too, and also blocking it).

He then asked where I was going (work) and when I got off (around 7, was 1:15 when I got the ticket). He was going for a riding in the dark without a light violation, but it is still light out when I leave work.

SheepStar
Clint said it best earlier. This is purely about revenue generation. If they really wanted to educate the public, they'd be issuing warnings and not citations. The fact that they were looking for other indiscretions points to them looking for ways to raise the fine. I'm sure that they would've rung Sheepstar up for another item if a driver's license or government issued ID wasn't produced.

It's especially disheartening to read that is sounds like they were looking to ticket Sheepstar for an offense that had not yet occured!. I do believe that "intent to ride a bike without a light after sunset" is not written in the law any where. That would be a ticket I would fight to the bitter end. Anyone seen "Minority Report?" Guilty before committing the act.

A helmet does not guarantee that someone will survive a collision on a bike. It only reduces the chance for injury on the skull. The biggest problem with a helmet is that it cannot reduce the internal collision of the brain smacking against the skull of your head.

If you remember back to the days of learning to drive a car when we had to sit through all the really bad movies "Blood on the Road 15"...the narrators of the films spoke of three collisions in every accident.
1) Vehicle to Vehicle
2) Exterior of the body to the seatbelt
3) Internal organs slamming against the skeleton.

The third collision is where many of the head trauma cases fall into. Helmets can't protect against those.
Helmet laws are designed to bring in money. They're not necessary.

Helmet Laws in Canada
The Vehicular Cyclist
Helmet FAQ from The Vehicular Cyclist
British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act

btw - according to British Columbia's Motor Vehicle Act it is illegal for two cyclists to ride side-by-side while on the road. I bet the two cops do that all day long.
You also can't ride no-handed or side-saddle.

I will say for myself that I am much more conscious of my surroundings when I don't wear protective gear. The only time I have ever fallen while on my rollerblades is when I've worn protective gear. Got going too fast and couldn't stop. This is something that I would not have let happen if I weren't wearing it.

-pat

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I will say for myself that I am much more conscious of my surroundings when I don't wear protective gear. The only time I have ever fallen while on my rollerblades is when I've worn protective gear. Got going too fast and couldn't stop. This is something that I would not have let happen if I weren't wearing it.
Same argument as Sheep about your skills keeping you safe at all times.

I am a long time skater - started when I was 12. Do you know what the number 1 injury is in skating? It is sprained or broken wrists because one's natural inclination is to extend your arms to catch yourself when you fall. I bet you don't wear wrist guards because you are really concentrating when you are not wearing any protective gear.

I could use the same argument that I am super stable and an excellent skater so no need for protective gear because I can always prevent any kind of mishap. That is bunk.

I've been going on Adult Nights INDOORS which is a lot safer than outside. One time I was cooling down and barely moving and an inexperienced skater came out of nowhere and swiped my feet right out from under me. I didn't have any chance at all of correcting for that. Contrast that to a case where I am moving at full speed and turn quickly to avoid someone that can barely stand and it causes me to clip my own feet. In that instant I can jump straight up, separate my feet, and spin on the landing - my 'skills' save my butt. Those are not the kinds of things that concern me. It is the accidents that are beyond your control, usually caused by someone else, as in my simple example.

I guess you've never EVER run over a tiny pebble that you didn't see and nearly lost your balance. Anyone that skates outdoors without wearing, at a minimum, a helmet and wrist guards is just asking for trouble. But there is no law that says you must wear protective gear for skating.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
lol. next thing you know, they'll make us wear helmets while driving too.

god save us.

majorloser

majorloser

I think they should have shot Sheep with the Tazer and busted him for resisting arrest. :cool:

(But then again, maybe that's why I'm the only member of my family that's not a cop :rolleyes: )

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I could use the same argument that I am super stable and an excellent skater so no need for protective gear because I can always prevent any kind of mishap. That is bunk.
MDS - you inferred too much. I never said that I can always prevent any kind of mishap. I simply implied that when I do wear protective gear I tend to take more risks and to be less conscious of my surroundings. 99% of accidents can probably be avoided by just paying attention. All protective gear that we wear for biking and skating gives a false sense of security and invulnerability.

The tasered bull reminded me of these little bad billies...
Video

-pat

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
All protective gear that we wear for biking and skating gives a false sense of security and invulnerability.
That I will agree with for sure but I still stay mishaps can happen and better safe than sorry.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I think sheep should have gotten a warning ticket..........he said he was clean and had a good record. I am personally for helmet laws, seatbelt laws, and air bags. There are many that say "don't save me from myself". How about this. If you are set on not wearing a helmet, then if you DO crack your skull open on the pavement, you must pay the cost of medical treatment.......as I think if you are dead set on exercising your personal freedoms, you should be willing to back it up on all fronts.
This is my arguement. Void the medical care.

Wow, I have some catching up to do in this thread.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ha, I've started another controversial thread!

Keep talking, I want to hear what you have to say.

SheepStar

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Wait till Hillary gets in office! Mandate everything, regulate everything, she's even going to tell you what color underwear you must wear.
Brown!

SheepStar

Is the brown underwear to hide all the "skid marks?" :D

-pat

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, and on an unrelated note, my home theater will soon be a dedicated room. My brother is moving out so I'm moving my computer, bed, and dresser into that room, and leaving only the stereo.

16x12 of pure movie bliss!

SheepStar

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
good for you sheep. since you have the extra speakers (btw, where did the primus go?) you should go for 7.1 now.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
good for you sheep. since you have the extra speakers (btw, where did the primus go?) you should go for 7.1 now.
Primus speakers were never mine. I was holding them for someone. I'm going to say 5.1. 7.1 will come when the format war is over, and Blu ray is the winner. :rolleyes: Plus, I need a HDTV still..

SheepStar

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I had a Mini-Bike back in the early 70's and hurt myself a lot on it, between whacking tree branches (with my face usually), burning the inside of my leg when I dumped it after hitting some huge ruts made by off roaders the day before, and when I just plain screwed up and fell off.

One day, a friend and I were riding, both of us wearing helmets, and we were doing what we always did pretty much, riding up and down a gravel road, and going up and down a steep hill. I went down the hill, going about 40 by the time I hit the bottom, and suddenly, I was in the air, head at the bottom. I don't remember the hit at all, just remember the horrible pain in my legs (from the gravel) and my chin hurting like hell. The wind was knocked out of me too. My friend pulls up and I say something like "What happened?". He smiles, because he thought I was dead.

My chin hurt because the strap had snapped in two. I had a huge welt under it from the buckle snapping me. The helmet was still on my head, but was cracked into three pieces from the impact right at the top dead center. After a couple of minutes, my neck started cramping up. I have arthritis in my neck now, and this 'wreck" probably had something to do with it.

What caused it was the return spring for the rear disc brake had snapped in two, and the brake went to full lockup and I went airborne. After that day, I had two springs on it as a back up, and replaced both every 3 or 4 months. I still had friends who rode without helmets, even after I showed them my old broken helmet. Morons

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Wait till Hillary gets in office! Mandate everything, regulate everything, she's even going to tell you what color underwear you must wear.
Brown!

SheepStar

Is the brown underwear to hide all the "skid marks?" :D

-pat
Now that's just plain nasty!!:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis