Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene:

The only reason I feel bass reflex and sealed subs should be compared separately is that the intended application for each type of acoustic alignment is generally quite different.

Our sealed line-up is designed for use in small to mid-size rooms where a significant amount of room gain (transfer function) is present. We optimized the anechoic roll-off profile of the SB12-NSD and SB13-Plus (the first two of the SB line to launch) to take advantage of this room gain, and the result is generally a flat in-room response (starting below the modal/pressure transition frequency) to very deep frequencies.

OTOH, our vented line-up was designed for a flat (critically damped) anechoic FR to the system corner frequency, and will work well in larger rooms where less room gain is present and more sheer SPL capability is needed from the subwoofer at the deepest frequencies.

Of course that doesn't mean one of our bass reflex subs can't be used in a smaller room - they can. We included a room gain compensation menu option in the new DSP amps for Plus and Ultra models which is adjustable for both slope and frequency.

The room gain comp option isn't available on the NSD amp, but the near universal presence of auto-EQ systems on AVRs (particularly Audyssey MultEQ which does a good job with the sub channel) will usually scrub off any rising low-end response (resulting from room gain) from our bass reflex NSD models.

So in summary our sealed and reflex subs are intended for different applications and measure quite differently anechoically by design. If you are going to mix/match acoustic alignments in your comparisons, then I would recommend that Audioholics develop some type of weighted scoring system which takes into account the size vs. low-end performance trade-off generally seen when comparing a relatively small sealed sub to a much larger reflex sub. If all that counts in the scoring is SPL vs. frequency, then the reflex model will almost always score higher.

Regardless, the PB12-Plus is about 5.7 ft^3 external, which is a bit larger than your most recently stated size limit (I thought I read 6 ft^3 earlier in the thread). If there is an opening for another sub, and you want to stretch the size limit a bit, LMK - but that is strictly your call.

If you do want to test the PB12-Plus please note it has three tunes - 20 Hz reflex, 16 Hz reflex, and Sealed and I recommend testing for all three. It has a nice roll-off profile in sealed mode and measures really well in smaller rooms which have room gain. Max SPL in the deeper frequency ranges in sealed mode is naturally lower than the reflex modes, but that is generally not a concern in small rooms. Point being, it's a flexible subwoofer which can be used in a variety of settings and applications depending on the needs of the customer.
Thanks Ed. I will speak to Paul about how to best address the issues you brought up. I will let you know about including the PB12Plus as well. I have two other contenders to consider.

Also I am not fully sure when the PSB product can ship so I may in fact take you up on your offer to get Paul all of the products around the same timeframe. I don't want to drag this out for months, so....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Paul just said he is willing to take on a 6th sub. So Ed if you want to include the PB12plus in our shootout, the spot is yours!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
If PSB can't fulfill your timeline will another sub be added or is this now, a closed deal? Woohoo...I am so happy with your selection of subs before I bought my sub... 2 of subs I was interested in where the pb12 plus and a Rythmik(however both were kinda over budget)...now I get to see how they stack up....:cool:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Paul just said he is willing to take on a 6th sub. So Ed if you want to include the PB12plus in our shootout, the spot is yours!
lost track of the 5th one ...

what's the updated list of subs? :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
PSB prefers we do a dedicated review next year when the product is shipping.

Here is a current list:

• RBH Sound 1010-SEN with ext 500 watt amp
  • Rythmik FV15HP
  • Earthquake MKVI-15BLK
  • Funkywave FW12.X_SA1000_Brindle with ext 1000 watt amp
  • SV Sound PB12-Plus

I also asked Jim if he wants to enter Salk for the 6th sub. Otherwise I have a few other candidates to ask.

UPDATE: Elemental Designs also said they want in so there may be a 7th sub!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
when is the target completion of the review? :)

how long is Paul going to need until the results are in?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Here is a current list:

• Rythmik FV15HP
  • Earthquake MKVI-15BLK
  • SV Sound PB12-Plus

I also asked Jim if he wants to enter Salk for the 6th sub. Otherwise I have a few other candidates to ask.
Neat...the fw12.x is the same design enclosure I have...mine has been altered a bit from his original design. I'm sure Paul will be impressed with this version more so than mine lol.

I was going to do an in depth review of my sub, but now I don't need too..jk:eek:.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

Here is a current list:

• Rythmik FV15HP
  • Earthquake MKVI-15BLK
  • SV Sound PB12-Plus

Looking good.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
It will be a fun read and quite alot of work for the tester/reviewer. Hope he'll have some assistance.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I'm bummed out just a bit but hey, thats the way it goes sometimes. :)

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
I vote for Seaton Sound subs like the SubMersive!

Maybe one day you guys can do the Terraform XL and the Sub 2 against each other.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Here is a current list:

• Rythmik FV15HP
  • Earthquake MKVI-15BLK
  • SV Sound PB12-Plus

Outstanding!!!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Any word on adding a Submersive or has the panel of subs been finalized?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Will this test be done by mid November?

The reason I ask is I could see one and probably TWO very nice items for Christmas.:D

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I'm curious if Axiom gave a reason for declining the shootout?

N

nickbardom

Enthusiast
I'm curious if Axiom gave a reason for declining the shootout?
I have the same question. I was about to purchase 4 EP800. Two for each room and now I will not order them anymore. If Axiom declined, it is because their EP800 is not that good.

O

obsi

Enthusiast
UPDATE: Elemental Designs also said they want in so there may be a 7th sub![/QUOTE]

Hi Gene, I'm new here. Just curious, which sub is Elemental Designs throwing into the mix? I'm so sad that Axiom won't participate, been looking forward to it.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Gene, I'm new here. Just curious, which sub is Elemental Designs throwing into the mix? I'm so sad that Axiom won't participate, been looking forward to it.
hey! nice to see you here.

your guy has picked up the stuff btw :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis