Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Actually I am in agreement about distortion in subs has little relevance if its not audible. This is why I don't typically measure distortion for subs. I listen when doing sweep tests for mechanical noise or audible distortion and back it down below that threshold when doing SPL vs Frequency tests. But oh well :rolleyes:
Poor choice of wording on my part. With distortion measurements in the picture, most people will conclude more distortion = poor performance.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
What happened to testing the Empire? Seems to be the new "sub of choice" in its price range?

jmav

Audiophyte
If I read this post completely well, HSU ULS-15 was left out and when asked about why, the question was consistently eluded. Something wrong with ULS-15?

It is just funny after 2 years those very few ULS-15 reviews and that the only decent one seems to have some test flaws... "the reviewers didn't use AP technique to remove the reflections " -Gordon McGregor

How good is the ULS-15? no snake-oil explanations please!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If I read this post completely well, HSU ULS-15 was left out and when asked about why, the question was consistently eluded. Something wrong with ULS-15?

It is just funny after 2 years those very few ULS-15 reviews and that the only decent one seems to have some test flaws... "the reviewers didn't use AP technique to remove the reflections " -Gordon McGregor

How good is the ULS-15? no snake-oil explanations please!
First the manufactures have to be willing to participate. The ULS plays nice and low, do you happen to know the response of the unit upper and lower?

jmav

Audiophyte
...The ULS plays nice and low...
That is snake-oil (something I learned from this site). :) By the way, you forget to say that is berry-likely-sweet :D

Let the "Supreme Overlord" tell us first why it is not included. I want to se measurments... and why not, subjective listenning along with them... and what about a faceoff?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
That is snake-oil (something I learned from this site). :) By the way, you forget to say that is berry-likely-sweet :D

Let the "Supreme Overlord" tell us first why it is not included. I want to se measurments... and why not, subjective listenning along with them... and what about a faceoff?
FU. 2 posts and I reply with a Normal response. Get lost troll.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I doubt Hsu was asked to participate. Their ULS-15 is not quite the same as the other subs anyway, it's more of a compact sub, and probably won't have the output of the others. Still, it would have been interesting to see how it compared, it does have a lot of output for a sealed 15".

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

i think the Supreme Overlord can take requests for subwoofers to include in this faceoff, but i don't think he takes orders.

unless you were gonna buy one and sending it in?
http://hsuresearch.com/products/uls15.html

thank you for your donation.

or are you gonna be trouble?

jmav

Audiophyte
i think the Supreme Overlord can take requests for subwoofers to include in this faceoff, but i don't think he takes orders.

unless you were gonna buy one and sending it in?

thank you for your donation.

or are you gonna be trouble?
No intentions to give orders. Keep in mind that the only one here that can really say why ULS-15 is not included is the Supreme Overlord. So what would you expect? ...that he say why is not included after some users suggested to include it, right?

Read my first post again... it is not so clear why is not included and we have no professional review of it... so what is left for us to decide, snake-oil reviews? You know this is not the way Audioholics works!!

.... and here shadyJ is just like me....looking for a professional review / comparison.

Don't you find strange that even Audioholics have no formal review of it? Who is having a trouble/problem, HSU or Audioholics? :confused:

Cordially,

The Audiophyte

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Enough with the sarcasms.

Honestly it seems like HSU dropped off the face of the map for the last few years. I believe I did contact them to participate but not sure I received a response. If they have a sub that is under $3k and under 5ft^3 that they would like to submit, I'd be happy to include it. HSU makes some very nice products and have received very positive reviews from us in the past. They are a nice bunch of people and I enjoyed working with them in the past and hope to do so again in the future.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think Hsu is interested in making a single "killer" sub, they have been headed in a more modular approach to subs for awhile, what with the turbo, mid-bass module, and their promotion of the ULS as a multiple sub system ie the dual drive and quad drive. That philosophy may continue if they re-release their TN1220 like they have been talking about for a little while now, as that definitely had a modular aspect to it. It's too bad that they get overlooked for some of the monster subs out there, like the PB13, Submersive, etc. Multiple sub systems have some real and major advantages over single subs, even at an equal price, it's just a more sensible solution for so many more situations.

jinjuku

jinjuku

No intentions to give orders. Keep in mind that the only one here that can really say why ULS-15 is not included is the Supreme Overlord. So what would you expect? ...that he say why is not included after some users suggested to include it, right?

Read my first post again... it is not so clear why is not included and we have no professional review of it... so what is left for us to decide, snake-oil reviews? You know this is not the way Audioholics works!!

.... and here shadyJ is just like me....looking for a professional review / comparison.

Don't you find strange that even Audioholics have no formal review of it? Who is having a trouble/problem, HSU or Audioholics? :confused:

Cordially,

The Audiophyte
Are you normally this dense? Please don't take this as a personal attack. It is not.

What don't you understand about the fact they they are only reviewing subs submitted to them by the manufacturer?

Please answer that ONE question. It has been clear from the onset that AH doesn't purchase product for review. The manufacturer needs to be willing to provide it 'no strings attached'.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I doubt Hsu was asked to participate. Their ULS-15 is not quite the same as the other subs anyway, it's more of a compact sub, and probably won't have the output of the others. Still, it would have been interesting to see how it compared, it does have a lot of output for a sealed 15".
Please, no speculation as to why the ULS-15 is not in the mix.

You would have been better off asking:

Did AH approach HSU about any of their subs for the comparison? See one is conjecture (not ok) the other one is more of a fact finding mission as to why there is a possible omission.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Please, no speculation as to why the ULS-15 is not in the mix.

You would have been better off asking:

Did AH approach HSU about any of their subs for the comparison? See one is conjecture (not ok) the other one is more of a fact finding mission as to why there is a possible omission.
It looks like the ULS was ruled out in this post by Gene, so that was not so much conjecture.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It looks like the ULS was ruled out in this post by Gene, so that was not so much conjecture.
LOL, then why the hell are you guys belly aching? It's been explained why. Seriously where do people like this come from?

This isn't the "Lets pit one sub against four subs" shoot out. Let it rest already.

The title of the thread is Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout. That is a SINGLE high end sub shootout. The ULS-15 doesn't meet that criteria. Jeez...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not belly-aching, I simply explained why the ULS wasn't included. It does not bother me that it's not in. Relax.

To get this thread back on track, is Elemental Designs still in? Did they say what sub they are sending? It was not mentioned in this thread. My guess is the A7s-650. If so, I think that would be an extremely competitive subwoofer. I don't know of any professional review of it yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about it from owners.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Update on Subwoofer Shootout

I requested products to be shipped to Paul in October. If all goes well this shootout should be published late Nov, early Dec.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Since the original list was released...other names were bantered about...is there a finalized list of the competing subwoofers....:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So far we have:
  • RBH Sound 1010-SEN
  • Rythmik FV15HP
  • Earthquake MKVI-15BLK
  • Funkywaves FW12.X_SA1000_Brindle
  • SV Sound PB12-Plus

I requested samples from:
  • Salk
  • Elemental Designs
  • Paradigm

So if they want to be included, products must be in hand by mid October.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis