Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmm, I just looked at PSB's published specs and I can't say I'm impressed with the -3dB point at the bottom end - 27Hz. I guess they were aiming for output - 114dB @ 100Hz.
I'm sure it'll get clobbered from a bottom end perspective but what I like about their subs is their linearity; making them very easy to integrate with the rest of the speakers.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Just a comment not a recommendation, PSB specs seem to be conservative the 6i specs says -3 @ 29Hz and -10 @ 27Hz. Tom Nousaine tested the 6i and got 96dB @ 20Hz. So it wouldn't surprise me if the SS10 goes lower than the specs stated. As 3db said it make lose in the bottom end but from I have heard and read the 6i stays pretty flat so I wouldn't expect any less from the SS10.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmmm, I just looked at PSB's published specs and I can't say I'm impressed with the -3dB point at the bottom end - 27Hz. I guess they were aiming for output - 114dB @ 100Hz.
that model has been discontinued and we will be testing a new one to be announced at CEDIA. Don't obsess over -3dB points of subs. There are so many subs out their claiming -3dB points below 20Hz which may be true at 90dB but once you crank them you have mega compression. They also trade SPL for extension which is usually not a good idea.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
that model has been discontinued and we will be testing a new one to be announced at CEDIA. Don't obsess over -3dB points of subs. There are so many subs out their claiming -3dB points below 20Hz which may be true at 90dB but once you crank them you have mega compression. They also trade SPL for extension which is usually not a good idea.
You'll have it in time to test? Very cool.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Is there an updated list on what is going to be tested?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Is there an updated list on what is going to be tested?
good question, no offense and not to be a drag here but I think the name of this should be changed.... It doesn't seem to be ramping up to the "Ultimate Subwoofer Test" by the looks of the subs that are being discussed here at this point... seems the direction has changed a bit.

Just an opinion

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Just a comment not a recommendation, PSB specs seem to be conservative the 6i specs says -3 @ 29Hz and -10 @ 27Hz. Tom Nousaine tested the 6i and got 96dB @ 20Hz. So it wouldn't surprise me if the SS10 goes lower than the specs stated. As 3db said it make lose in the bottom end but from I have heard and read the 6i stays pretty flat so I wouldn't expect any less from the SS10.
that's not very good for a 12" sub like the 6i...if you ask me!

Like Warp suggests, unless your testing the best subs available then it's just another subwoofer thread...

Matt34

Matt34

Like Warp suggests, unless your testing the best subs available then it's just another subwoofer thread...
I'm sure they'll narrow it down to a specific range [price or otherwise].

T

t3steve

Junior Audioholic
Kinda looks like a test what is easy to get subwoofer test

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
good question, no offense and not to be a drag here but I think the name of this should be changed.... It doesn't seem to be ramping up to the "Ultimate Subwoofer Test" by the looks of the subs that are being discussed here at this point... seems the direction has changed a bit.
It's still the Ultimate Subwoofer test in terms of the amount of detail we will put forth into the reviews.

I have 5 products lined up. It was relatively easy to find companies not afraid to submit their products in a comparison like this. I just had a few whiners at first which almost put a wrench in it.

The 5 brands will be:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik
  • PSB
  • Klipsch
  • Funkywaves

Virtually all of the products in this comparison are brand new, not yet released for the companies so we will have the exclusive. This is shaping up nicely!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions as we are now working with 3 new companies b/c of them !!!

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai

I threw that out there just to say that PSB's specs are conservative, I not saying that Gene should consider testing this again just that the SS10 specs are most likely on the conservative side. here is Nousaine's numbers on the 6i. Consider that PSB didn't suggest that it would go that low but it did, of course the best offerings from SVS, HSU, and Epik which have been mentioned will blow it out of the water on the low end. Glad to see PSB throw there hat in the ring, look forward to seeing the results.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It's still the Ultimate Subwoofer test in terms of the amount of detail we will put forth into the reviews.

I have 5 products lined up. It was relatively easy to find companies not afraid to submit their products in a comparison like this. I just had a few whiners at first which almost put a wrench in it.

The 5 brands will be:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik
  • PSB
  • Klipsch
  • Funkywaves

Virtually all of the products in this comparison are brand new, not yet released for the companies so we will have the exclusive. This is shaping up nicely!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions as we are now working with 3 new companies b/c of them !!!
Looking forward to this. I have never heard of Funky Waves until a few days ago. Their products look exceptional and have been viewing their website since! Always nice to see the unexpected entering into the equation.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's nice to see Funkywaves in the mix, good call. It'll be interesting to see what Klipsch brings, as most of their subs are pretty mediocre, except for their THX one. I'm sure their palladium one is good too, but at $4k, who cares. I'd love to see Klipsch finally start making subs that are as good as their speakers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Indeed this is great news...I'm thrilled you extented him(Nathan) this offer and elated he excepted. I only wish at the time I was buying my sub, I had a bigger budget, that's all I'm going to say:).

Thanks again...Bill:)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
+1
I know Nathan at funky waves has a no holds barred attitude towards the Ultimate Subwoofer.
I'll predict his sub will blow away the competition !!

Thanks FunkyWaves for participating. :D

Do we know which sub he'll be sending ?
Please let it be an LMS revision !!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

The 5 brands will be:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik
  • PSB
  • Klipsch
  • Funkywaves

That is gonna be great, but the one thing which is disappointing is that there is no well known reference point. It would be great if a Hsu, Epik, SVS, or JL Audio was in the mix so we could see how the "semi-obscure" models stand up relative to an "established product".

Do you think Paul could work in a 6th if we could find someone in his area of California who was willing to drop off a sub for a few days?

Alternately, is Hsu anywhere in the vicinity?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic

The 5 brands will be:
  • RBH Sound
  • Rythmik
  • PSB
  • Klipsch
  • Funkywaves

I was planning on buying two SVS subs in the near future, I know shipping alone would have killed me to get them here, but now I'm not going to.

I'm going to purchase two from one of the companies that are playing in this test, shows they believe in there products and will go out of their way for customer service.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That is gonna be great, but the one thing which is disappointing is that there is no well known reference point. It would be great if a Hsu, Epik, SVS, or JL Audio was in the mix so we could see how the "semi-obscure" models stand up relative to an "established product".

Do you think Paul could work in a 6th if we could find someone in his area of California who was willing to drop off a sub for a few days?

Alternately, is Hsu anywhere in the vicinity?
Some of the brands here have been making subs far longer than the existence of the companies you list as a "known" reference. JL Audio subs are too pricey for this shootout. The most expensive subs here are well under $3k. A 6th sub would make this endeavor too complex. You can rest assured by the end of our exhaustive analysis of these models, you will get a much better sense of what performs and what doesn't.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I like to thank all the companies that threw their hats in the ring. This is going to be an interesting shootout seeing as all of these companies produce solid products. Thanks Gene for including PSB.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis