Audioholics...Please review Obsessive Compulsive Audiophile's A1 Evo Audyssey Optimization Tool!

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
You’ll have to remeasure after uploading to the AVR to see what the effect is.
True, but the real test lies in between your ears.

Listen and experience, then look at what was done via graphs.

I don't get the resistance from people just experiencing the change and then diving deep to see the changes.

N

navid0308

Audiophyte
You’ll have to remeasure after uploading to the AVR to see what the effect is. The creators of the automatic adjustment tool should have given such an example, in my opinion.
I don’t think I’ve seen any room correction software take measurements post calibration to show you the results.

many, including myself, have taken before and after measurements. It definitely doesn’t look as nice and smooth as audyssey but it actually sounds a lot better. I would say the approach is more “correct”, evo uses EQ to knock down modal peaks and brute force searches all delay options for best subwoofer integration.

one neat trick evo does in certain cases is lfe+main - since evo doesn’t boost, it uses lfe+main and rolls off the mains in a variable fashion so the mains only fill in the dips of the sub response. It’ll make you question what you know, believe me. If you can’t get past the prejudice of using large/lfe+main, evo also provides options to optimize in a more traditional manner.

As previously mentioned, thousands use it, a lot of comparisons have been made with Dirac and a lot of folks ended up preferring it over Dirac. If you’re skeptical, that’s fine, but try it, it’s free and has been through enough revisions that if it was gonna blow up avrs, it would’ve done so by now.

E

EB1000

Audiophyte
I heard about this but TBH, I prefer Audyssey PC and using manual biquads to refine bass response and shelve fullrange correction below the point where Audyssey diverged from normal speaker response. I then use shelving filters to tilt treble to taste depending on room acoustics. This process usually takes me a 2-3 hours but the results are consistently excellent. Not sure I want to mess with installing unsanctioned ver of Audyssey into a $7500 prepro.

I will ask Marantz about this.
Seriously? I have a feeling that D&M has asked Gene not to promote A1 EVO to prevent further financial damages they've already sustained when many users discovered that the free A1 EVO outperforms D&M's useless MultiEQ-X. A1 EVO is 100% safe because there is nothing it can do that cannot be undone by a factory reset...

This sounds like a lousy excuse because Gene could always use an older/cheaper AVR to test EVO w/o "endangering" his $7500 AVP...

This is why I can't really trust most of Audioholics' manufacturer-provided gear-based reviews because chances are that they're more of biased paid promotions rather than objective reviews.

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
Seriously? I have a feeling that D&M has asked Gene not to promote A1 EVO to prevent further financial damages they've already sustained when many users discovered that the free A1 EVO outperforms D&M's useless MultiEQ-X. A1 EVO is 100% safe because there is nothing it can do that cannot be undone by a factory reset...

This sounds like a lousy excuse because Gene could always use an older/cheaper AVR to test EVO w/o "endangering" his $7500 AVP...

This is why I can't really trust most of Audioholics' manufacturer-provided gear-based reviews because chances are that they're more of biased paid promotions rather than objective reviews.
It's going to get worse.
Reviewers will be held liable now with a passage of a new law that goes into effect in October.
Now it's give me product, tell me what to say and keep it moving.

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
Audyssey One script was a big motivation for me to sell my Anthem 1140 and get the Denon A1H. Knowing I had a reliable method to optimize my setup was a big plus

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
Audyssey One script was a big motivation for me to sell my Anthem 1140 and get the Denon A1H. Knowing I had a reliable method to optimize my setup was a big plus
EVO script actually helped me save a ton of money as well. I have a 6700 and was contemplating upgrading to a higher end processor and when I found his script, he breathed new life into the AVR.
People like Gene should just try it, critique if they feel it could do some more and then let the audio masses know.
Not hide behind a manufacturers skirt.

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
EVO script actually helped me save a ton of money as well. I have a 6700 and was contemplating upgrading to a higher end processor and when I found his script, he breathed new life into the AVR.
People like Gene should just try it, critique if they feel it could do some more and then let the audio masses know.
Not hide behind a manufacturers skirt.
If they don't want to review it then ironically this obsessive demanding isn't going to help.

I actually went from Denon 6500 to the Anthem and didn't hear any improvement, hence going to the A1h

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
If they don't want to review it then ironically this obsessive demanding isn't going to help.
I actually went from Denon 6500 to the Anthem and didn't hear any improvement, hence going to the A1h
Let me get this straight, you upgraded to an Anthem, calibrated your system.
Then after using it, you weren't impressed.
Returned it and purchased the A1H.
At what point did you feel that going to the Denon and using the OCA script was going to be better.
Did you try it first on the 6500 or it was just a blind faith in the script.

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
Let me get this straight, you upgraded to an Anthem, calibrated your system.
Then after using it, you weren't impressed.
Returned it and purchased the A1H.
At what point did you feel that going to the Denon and using the OCA script was going to be better.
Did you try it first on the 6500 or it was just a blind faith in the script.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
True, but the real test lies in between your ears.

Listen and experience, then look at what was done via graphs.

I don't get the resistance from people just experiencing the change and then diving deep to see the changes.
My BS Level Meter just hit 10.

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
Thank you.
The last comment I read was Gene down biting the Anthem.
He lauds Audyssey X because he enjoys calibrating on the PC.
So the next logical step is EVO on his PC.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I don’t think I’ve seen any room correction software take measurements post calibration to show you the results.
The creators of the tool could measure and show the result, say, as part of that YouTube clip.

T

The Commish

Enthusiast
Just the usual audiophoolery making claims with nothing to back it up, and responds like you when asked about measurements. We’ve seen this many times here.
I understand that point.
So that's why we ask your God Gene to check it out. Because then people with your mindset would then decide to give it respect and try for themselves.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis