Audio Advice from My AH Peeps!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Welp - I received my speakers and... they're the wrong color. :mad:
1577467116749.png

That is what I get for trying to circumvent the system, I guess. I contacted the seller in Italy (the reason they were so cheap) to see what we could do about refunds, exchanges, etc. They were willing to do an exchange, but considering the time to do so (probably close to two months) and the expense (theirs) I decided to keep them. They did offer something like 50€ for my troubles, but I told them to keep it. Unless the Focal Chora 806 are completely and totally awesome speakers that will shame transducers thrice their cost (which I doubt) they will be used as placeholders until I can afford, say, the Kanta or somesuch. But who knows- they may surprise me...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What color is that? Cream? Looks good though. I hope they sound great. I bet they do. Hurry up and plug em in. Rah. :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah - it is these in lieu of the darker wood/slate:
1577468795829.png

I will be hooking them and my new receiver up tonight and yes, I am very excited!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Damn they look great. Why wait? Ah yes dreaded work. :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The speakers as they are set up currently:
1577641467336.png

I am getting the dedicated stands on Monday.So far they sound pretty good - I am waiting for them to break in physically (speakers) and aurally (ears).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That reindeer is sure enjoying some good sounds. :p Looking forward to the stand pics.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I got the stands and, due to the way the speakers are designed, found they are absolutely necessary:
1577814078339.png

Perhaps a review is forthcoming...

I'm still figuring out the capabilities of my Pioneer VSX-LX503 and am going to run MCACC maybe this weekend. I need to dive deeper into the menus because I cannot - at this point - disable the crossover to the sub (there is no 2.0 configuration - 2.1 is the minimum and 50 Hz is the lowest crossover). It sounds great as it stands, I would just like to be able to play without being tethered so...

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I got the stands and, due to the way the speakers are designed, found they are absolutely necessary:
View attachment 33044
Perhaps a review is forthcoming...

I'm still figuring out the capabilities of my Pioneer VSX-LX503 and am going to run MCACC maybe this weekend. I need to dive deeper into the menus because I cannot - at this point - disable the crossover to the sub (there is no 2.0 configuration - 2.1 is the minimum and 50 Hz is the lowest crossover). It sounds great as it stands, I would just like to be able to play without being tethered so...
I'm jealous of your setup it's just stunning. Just enjoy and don't fuss too much. Rah.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I'm jealous of your setup it's just stunning. Just enjoy and don't fuss too much. Rah.
Why thank you! It looks like you are having a lot of fun as well! My turntable has been sitting in a box for 10 months or so - time to break it out (and the rolling papers!).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I did peep out some records on the right but forgot to ask where the TT is. By the way the cream matches the living room, so maybe it was a blessing.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, it is in the Amazon box above the LPs. It's a Pro-Ject RM 1.3 Third Man Records edition:
1577816086896.png

I've really been liking your finds of late - that Norah Jones SACD is sweet! About the only used SACDs I've been able to find (at a good price) locally are classical...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I did peep out some records on the right but forgot to ask where the TT is. By the way the cream matches the living room, so maybe it was a blessing.
I'll have to admit the color is growing on me - I think you are right!

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Yeah, it is in the Amazon box above the LPs. It's a Pro-Ject RM 1.3 Third Man Records edition:
View attachment 33046

I've really been liking your finds of late - that Norah Jones SACD is sweet! About the only used SACDs I've been able to find (at a good price) locally are classical...
I see why you are eyeing the yellow Kantas... to match the turntable?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I see why you are eyeing the yellow Kantas... to match the turntable?
That is definitely part of the reasoning, primary being sound quality. I am glad to see speaker companies (and other electronics designers) creating more attractive gear than the ubiquitous "black box". Bang & Olufsen have been doing it forever but their reputation for SQ has been suspect (by some - others swear by them). So, it is exciting when a revered manufacturer like Focal incorporates "lifestyle" into their higher end products. I have an appointment next week for a prolonged demo of the Kanta. I am just worried that I will want them sooner than is fiscally responsible!

BTW, the Choras are sounding really nice!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That is definitely part of the reasoning, primary being sound quality. I am glad to see speaker companies (and other electronics designers) creating more attractive gear than the ubiquitous "black box". Bang & Olufsen have been doing it forever but their reputation for SQ has been suspect (by some - others swear by them). So, it is exciting when a revered manufacturer like Focal incorporates "lifestyle" into their higher end products. I have an appointment next week for a prolonged demo of the Kanta. I am just worried that I will want them sooner than is fiscally responsible!

BTW, the Choras are sounding really nice!
Ha... if the Kantas sound anything near as good as the Sopras I saw at CAS this past year, you're gonna be trying to figure out how to liberate them from their current home! :p

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Ha... if the Kantas sound anything near as good as the Sopras I saw at CAS this past year, you're gonna be trying to figure out how to liberate them from their current home! :p
This dealer has the Sopras too - I definitely DO NOT want to listen to them! This is the place where I heard the GamuT RS7i and they ruined my system for me...:(

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
(Of course... at $15K and $20K for the two tower versions of the Sopra... liberation is the only chance for most of us!)
:cool:

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yup. The GamuT speakers I listened to were $40K. I seriously hatched a few harebrained schemes that included sale of body parts and/or offspring...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This dealer has the Sopras too - I definitely DO NOT want to listen to them! This is the place where I heard the GamuT RS7i and they ruined my system for me...:(
LMFAO!

I would hope that the Sopras wouldn't ruin the Kantas for you. Though I haven't heard them, I can't help but feel that the performance aspect between the two offerings is minimal. The Kanta Towers new at $10K and $13K are probably just fine!

I still hope to hear the new Monitor Audio Gold line, which in the review I read placed their performance in comparison to the Platinums at roughly 75-85%... not a very significant difference considering the costs. Still, I think for most, that whenever MA refreshes the Silver lineup, those will be stunningly formidable speakers. I wish they were more widely know here.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
LMFAO!

I would hope that the Sopras wouldn't ruin the Kantas for you. Though I haven't heard them, I can't help but feel that the performance aspect between the two offerings is minimal. The Kanta Towers new at $10K and $13K are probably just fine!

I still hope to hear the new Monitor Audio Gold line, which in the review I read placed their performance in comparison to the Platinums at roughly 75-85%... not a very significant difference considering the costs. Still, I think for most, that whenever MA refreshes the Silver lineup, those will be stunningly formidable speakers. I wish they were more widely know here.
I do not know why I never bought any of the MA line as every one I have heard (mostly a couple generations of the Silver series) has been really impressive. I am sure the Kanta is just a level of refinement lesser than the Sopra, but I don't want to take that chance. It is pretty cool that said manufacturers are offering better and better examples of their "lower" performing lines. KEF did it with their new R series: the R11 is, in reality, not very far removed from the Reference (Johan Coorg from KEF would disagree and always argues in favor of the Reference and Blade).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis