• Thread starter slipperybidness
  • Start date
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Just in case folks are not paying close attention:
Most of the discussion here is about cars not amps.

To be clear, ATI amps are highly reliable :)

- Rich
Yeah, that's ADTG's fault. He compared a Salon2 to a Lexus, and I just couldn't leave that remark be. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just in case folks are not paying close attention:
Most of the discussion here is about cars not amps.

To be clear, ATI amps are highly reliable :)

- Rich
Which is why I'd love to have one. No need just yet though. Yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that's ADTG's fault. He compared a Salon2 to a Lexus, and I just couldn't leave that remark be. :)
I would compare Salons & ATI to Lexus because they are extremely reliable and quiet. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But seriously, I just don't get this 6000 series. $8K for the AT6007 amp w/ the same 7 YR warranty and the same 300 WPC as the AT3007 amp. :eek:

At least offer a 20 YR warranty or something.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
But seriously, I just don't get this 6000 series. $8K for the AT6007 amp w/ the same 7 YR warranty and the same 300 WPC as the AT3007 amp. :eek:

Thicker and fancier metalwork costs a lot.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Maybe there are some "cosmic" electronic components being utilized that drive up the cost..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thicker and fancier metalwork costs a lot.
Maybe there are some "cosmic" electronic components being utilized that drive up the cost..
I am sure ATI did something with it.

But the AT3000 is already so great. SNR -123dB, Crosstalk -100dB, THD 0.03%, FR +/-0.03%, etc.

You can get the AT3007 for $4200. A lot less if you know the dealer. ;)

Paying an extra $4K for the AT6007, which is the same power output?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

But the AT3000 is already so great. SNR -123dB, Crosstalk -100dB, THD 0.03%, FR +/-0.03%, etc.

Makes you wonder if these are the very same amps being sold by Mark Livingston hence the price.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I would compare Salons & ATI to Lexus because they are extremely reliable and quiet. :D
I'm extremely happy with my 2006 Infiniti G35. Only 60k, and it has been a dream to own. Very reliable. And relatively low <!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->Maintenance<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]--> cost. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall

The price jump is a bit startling. And even ATI would likely tell you there are diminishing returns.
That said, there may be subtle improvements especially at low power and bass output when driving real loads.
Those two 20 amp cords must be for something :)

i wish it was a 1 to 2k premium though.

- Rich

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
ATI makes a nice product, but I like "cheap" amps, I have compared my emo xpa2's to a lot of other units and they sound great... I $2 a watt is the maximum an ab amp should cost... $4000 for 800w is a lot of money, I can machine some handles for an XPR2 and still be way under $2000 at 600w per channel {or so the website says}...

RichB

RichB

ATI makes a nice product, but I like "cheap" amps, I have compared my emo xpa2's to a lot of other units and they sound great... I $2 a watt is the maximum an ab amp should cost... $4000 for 800w is a lot of money, I can machine some handles for an XPR2 and still be way under $2000 at 600w per channel {or so the website says}...
It is hard to argue with that.
I can't wee how this sells in volume.

- Rich

E

English210

Audioholic
I can't agree....Lexus/Infiniti/Acura, as tarted-up Toyota/Nissan/Honda's, are more like refrigerators than emotion-inducing audio gear. They are reliable appliances that do their job with a minimum of fuss, but don't stir the soul. Generally, of course...
European cars, with their foibles and expense, are far more representative of this little hobby/crack-habit of ours. We tend to overlook faults as 'character', or if we can't, it's our excuse to break out the checkbook in our quest for that next elusive hit.

I work with older Jags and RR's, and own an '06 BMW that replaced an '02 Acura. The Acura was almost faultless for 215K miles (if you ignore the little issue with transmissions), and I don't expect that with the BMW, but I am more likely to 'volunteer' for the runs to the store in the BMW than I ever was in the Acura...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't agree....Lexus/Infiniti/Acura, as tarted-up Toyota/Nissan/Honda's, are more like refrigerators than emotion-inducing audio gear. They are reliable appliances that do their job with a minimum of fuss, but don't stir the soul. Generally, of course...
European cars, with their foibles and expense, are far more representative of this little hobby/crack-habit of ours. We tend to overlook faults as 'character', or if we can't, it's our excuse to break out the checkbook in our quest for that next elusive hit.

I work with older Jags and RR's, and own an '06 BMW that replaced an '02 Acura. The Acura was almost faultless for 215K miles (if you ignore the little issue with transmissions), and I don't expect that with the BMW, but I am more likely to 'volunteer' for the runs to the store in the BMW than I ever was in the Acura...
I do want a Range Rover for gallivanting. :eek: My workhorse would be Toyota. :D

E

English210

Audioholic
I do want a Range Rover for gallivanting. :eek: My workhorse would be Toyota. :D
Good plan. Surprisingly, my DD is a '98 XJ8 with 180K on it. But I also know how to work on it, so that helps :D

On topic, I would LOVE an ATI 5 or 7 channel for my theater. I like the idea of buying from the people who are the OE supplier to other manufacturers. Just can't swing it yet...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good plan. Surprisingly, my DD is a '98 XJ8 with 180K on it. But I also know how to work on it, so that helps :D

On topic, I would LOVE an ATI 5 or 7 channel for my theater. I like the idea of buying from the people who are the OE supplier to other manufacturers. Just can't swing it yet...
I do enjoy my four ATI amps. :D

Luckily I was able to buy all 4 ATI @ 50% off from Classic Audio Parts.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Well, these are, simply put, as good an amplifier as Morris Kessler knows how to make at this time, hence his decision to stamp his signature on them :)

Will we hear any difference vs. the AT3000 Series or Emotiva's Reference or even X Series for that matter? The vast majority of the time, likely not. But I appreciate the dedication to reducing all possible forms of noise and distortion to the point of virtual elimination.

Creating an an amp design that uses a single input stage but then uses balanced circuitry from input all the way to output, while remaining stable into extremely low impedance loads, that's, in many respects, very inefficient and costly; but it's also the absolute quietest design possible. Anthem doesn't bother trying to keep the entire amplification circuitry balanced from input to output; they're more concerned with being fully stable into all impedance a right down to a short circuit. Well these ATI Signature amps are aiming to do the same thing, but maintaining that fully balanced circuitry the entire way through. That requires more than double the electrical current (due to heat losses), hence the dual 20 amp inlets!

So these AT6000 amps really are "no holds barred". These are about being able to drive ANY speaker with essentially zero noise, no distortion, and never a trace of current sag. Is that necessary? Heck no! Buy reasonably designed speakers and this sort of output capability will never even approach being necessary. But these are about Morris Kessler saying, "whatever you've got? Bring it. These amps will power it, and they won't make so much as a peep until the signal says to."

Some nut job out there undoubtedly wants to drive a full range ribbon that dips below 1 ohm. These'll do it. You just need to require your house, too, is all :D

RichB

RichB

The
Interesting that it doesn't seem to say "B stock", nor does it seem to be discounted, but the 2 Channel Signature ATI is now availble on CAP.
http://www.classicaudioparts.com/index.php/featured/ati-at6002-signature-two-channel-x-300-watt-amplifier.html
I saw that.
Two reviews have been posted both excellent:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/power-amplifiers-reviews/ati-at6002-multi-channel-power-amplifier-review/all-pages.html
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/ati-at6005-amplifier

Still, at the price of the 6002 channel, I would be able to get two A21's (Street price) and treat them as Bi-amped mono-blocks.

- Rich

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
I'm right there with you on the HT stuff.

As soon as I get my Range Rover, I will be right there with you on the cars, buddy. ;)

Just maintain all the timeless classics. :D

Ooo. lol Too funny. My wife and I are planning a trip to Serbia next year to visit my in-laws, leave the kids there for 2 weeks, go to Germany, and pick up my M4. Drive it all throughout and then ship it home. ;-) Then and only then, will I be done with cars too. I'm kind of done with audio for now....;-)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis