• Thread starter slipperybidness
  • Start date
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well, what cars do you have in mind? :D

I used to be interested only in Lexus, but I have changed. :D
First Audyssey and now Range Rover.

[video=youtube;rKwwcCpa2Ag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwcCpa2Ag[/video] :)

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First Audyssey and now Range Rover.

[video=youtube;rKwwcCpa2Ag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwcCpa2Ag[/video] :)

- Rich
Ha, Ha. :D

Actually, I BYPASS Audyssey & just use Dynamic EQ, remember? :D

The Range Rover is kind of like the B&W 802D2 to me: they both look awesome to me aesthetically. :D

The Lexus LX is kind of like the Revel Salon2 to me: they are both great overall, but not quite aesthetically pleasing to me. :D

I know, I know..... more pain.... :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Lexus LX is kind of like the Revel Salon2 to me: they are both great overall, but not quite aesthetically pleasing to me.
The Salon2 is like a Lexus LX? What a horrible thought! I think of the Salon2 more like a Porsche 911 GT3, myself.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm right there with you on the HT stuff.

As soon as I get my Range Rover, I will be right there with you on the cars, buddy. ;)

Just maintain all the timeless classics. :D
We dumped our 2011 RR sport last year. Too many freaking issues....2 fuel pumps, transmission and rear differential noise which appears to be happening a lot.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
We dumped our 2011 RR sport last year. Too many freaking issues....2 fuel pumps, transmission and rear differential noise which appears to be happening a lot.
Where I live the RR is one of the preferred rides of the top 5%, so I know a lot of people that drive them, and your experience is commonplace, if not typical. RR owners often have the chance to get to know their dealers *very* well. And their gas stations too...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where I live the RR is one of the preferred rides of the top 5%, so I know a lot of people that drive them, and your experience is commonplace, if not typical. RR owners often have the chance to get to know their dealers *very* well. And their gas stations too...
It will not be my collector toy car, not main car. ;)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Really?

Oh crap.

I knew their reliability records are not the best, but neither are most European automobiles. I assumed people just didn't take care of their vehicles.

Well, back to the drawing board. :D
Don't lump all European cars in the RR category. Mercedes is very good (though they have taken to making very ugly cars lately), Porsche is better than average nowadays, which didn't used to be the case, but then there's BMW, Audi, and VW. It varies by model, but these last three do have reputations for being dealer-prone. IMO, BMW is probably the best of the three, but I'm sure someone will now pop up to remind me of Nikasil V8s and S54 spun bearings, or perhaps the E36/E46 rear shock mounts that broke, whatever. If a Range Rover turns your crank I'd still recommend one, only because I always recommend that people follow their passions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't lump all European cars in the RR category. Mercedes is very good (though they have taken to making very ugly cars lately), Porsche is better than average nowadays, which didn't used to be the case, but then there's BMW, Audi, and VW. It varies by model, but these last three do have reputations for being dealer-prone. IMO, BMW is probably the best of the three, but I'm sure someone will now pop up to remind me of Nikasil V8s and S54 spun bearings, or perhaps the E36/E46 rear shock mounts that broke, whatever. If a Range Rover turns your crank I'd still recommend one, only because I always recommend that people follow their passions.
Mercedes & B&W have one of the worst reliability records according to JD Powers & Consumer Reports. With the exception of maybe Porsche, I don't see any of the European cars above average for reliability.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It will not be my collector toy car, not main car.
That's a good thing :D
I meant to say "It will be my collector toy car, not my main workhorse car". :D

I just love the way they look. So I will just buy a used 5YO RR with a clean Car Fax history. Not ALL RR are unreliable. Some are very reliable. So the 5 YR Car Fax history will help. It will be like buying the 802D2. :eek: :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Mercedes & B&W have one of the worst reliability records according to JD Powers & Consumer Reports. With the exception of maybe Porsche, I don't see any of the European cars above average for reliability.
B&W? Nice typo... :)

Would you listen to CR for audio advice? If not, why would you listen to them for vehicle advice? I don't even give them credibility when choosing peanut butter.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
You should get a current generation range rover rather than an older one. All aluminum structure is 900 lbs lighter than the previous gen :D

RichB

RichB

It occurred to me that the ATI amp looks like some of the hardware Honeywell made in the 80's that was ruggedized for the Navy.

The signature amp quite nicely matches the aesthetics of a stealth bomber. :p

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
B&W? Nice typo... :)

Would you listen to CR for audio advice? If not, why would you listen to them for vehicle advice? I don't even give them credibility when choosing peanut butter.
Damn, audio on my mind. B&W vs. BMW. :eek:

JD Powers.

CR is just a secondary source. Doesn't hurt.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You should get a current generation range rover rather than an older one. All aluminum structure is 900 lbs lighter than the previous gen :D
Oh, yeah, the 2013 4th Generation?

I'll probably wait a few years anyway.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Aren't the newer non-ford Jags supposed to be pretty reliable? I heard that somewhere...Top Gear maybe?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Aren't the newer non-ford Jags supposed to be pretty reliable? I heard that somewhere...Top Gear maybe?
Not from what I've seen.

Just like all makes, some will be reliable if you are lucky, but some will be bad.

RichB

RichB

Just in case folks are not paying close attention:
Most of the discussion here is about cars not amps.

To be clear, ATI amps are highly reliable :)

- Rich

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis