Ascend CMT-340: Anything comparable or better...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
THX Reference is very loud and I'm sure your wife wouldn't allow it. I'd not get caught up in the prospect. You can't go wrong here.

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
THX Reference is very loud and I'm sure your wife wouldn't allow it. I'd not get caught up in the prospect. You can't go wrong here.
I really dont have the time/tools to build diy. She wouldnt care as long as the system looks good. Now I feel as though I have a target to hit in THX ref. :)

With that said, I doubt I will find anything in my price range that will both hit THX reference AND sound good without building, and I've been looking :)

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Might want to look into the new speakers for Chase home theater and his collaboration with Jon Lane for the audio insider. They have a high output theater speaker that goes for about $350 each. Similar to Chase's old Pro-10. You might have to dig around the forum to find photos and info on the speakers or give them a call.
Product Announcements - Chase Home Theater

D

dwaleke

Enthusiast
That's never gonna sell at the asking price, lol, 75% of msrp. He might actually get a sale if he dropped it to like $500 shipped or something.
Speakers have been sold. Thank you for promoting them here. :)

To the OP. Ascends are nice speakers. I am intrigued by the JBL 5 series, but I have never been a fan of speakers with horn tweeters.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome! Can't wait to hear what you think about them!
I will give you a hint >> instead of the speaker coming at you and trying to slap you in the face,
something like a Klipsch Reference - the JBL Studio draws you into the stage with smooth sound,
with good detailed sound and definition. >> Now instead of me trying to break them in - they are
breaking me in. Welcome back JBL

Fish for the ultimate THX system if you want - however, I would seriously consider the Studio.
They will get Loud

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
I'm glad you enjoy them!

If I went with the JBL's I would likely go for the 580's as I don't think I would be happy with the 570's. As such, the overall cost was a touch more than I wanted to spend. I ended up purchasing the CMT-340 SE's, 170's for side surrounds, 340 center, and a FV15HP.

Perhaps when Summer rolls around I will pick up a set of the 530's for music listening along with a nice amp to push them.

Thanks for everyone's help!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well enjoy them - at least I did not recommend a $5000 system - enjoy your system.

Now do not tell anybody, that if I hid the JBL behind a covering - they would not believe
that it had a 5-1/4 inch woofer. > I have owned bigger bookshelves, that can not match
the bass.

Have Fun

Last edited:
brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
I very much appreciate and value the help you've given me. Hopefully one day I am able to be as helpful to someone here as you've been with me.

K

Kheloram

Enthusiast
I very much appreciate and value the help you've given me. Hopefully one day I am able to be as helpful to someone here as you've been with me.
Hello, I am in the same situation 2 years after and wanting to pull the plug on the
CMT-340 SE's, 340 center, and a LV12 sub. How do you like your system over the years and do you recommend for me?

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I'm surprised no one mentioned the PSB Imagine line of speakers as a possibly alternative. I've been pretty happy with my older T45/B15/S50 lines. The bookshelf models really need a sub for full range, of course, but they're pretty neutral, clean sounding speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis