Ascend CMT-340: Anything comparable or better...

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
The JBL 500s are using compression drivers for the tweeter, those should be able to get pretty loud. I wouldn't think the Ascend's dome tweeter would have as much dynamic range. On the other hand the Ascend's are using larger woofers which aren't being tasked to play as deeply as the JBLs. Either speaker should be able to get loud enough for you unless you are after THX Reference levels.
THX reference levels would be nice! :) I very well could be wrong but I doubt the X4000 is up to the task unless I can find some really efficient speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Amazon has sold 4 pairs of the Studio 530 bookshelves since yesterday - I just bought
a pair, price lowered to $369 a pair - will be here Tomorrow. I will post my impressions
they look sharp to me. :)

Last edited:
brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
Amazon has sold 4 pairs of the Studio 530 bookshelves since yesturday - I just bought the
last pair - will be here Tuesday. I will post my impressions - they look sharp to me. Also,
got them for $372 a pair. :)

They are still available at Harman Audio and Sound Distributers

Edit:
Well, now they are on Amazon form AcousticSoundDesign for $369 :cool:
If I were to buy the 570 towers and 520 center, would I have to buy the 530 as a surround? Upon looking at the pictures I don't see a way to wall mount those. Would using the CMT-170's as a surround with accompanying Omni mounts be a viable alternative?

Oh nice, you got them to speed up the shipping time eh :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If I were to buy the 570 towers and 520 center, would I have to buy the 530 as a surround? Upon looking at the pictures I don't see a way to wall mount those. Would using the CMT-170's as a surround with accompanying Omni mounts be a viable alternative?
While matching the timbre as best as possible for the front stage is important, for the surrounds, it is not as important.

That said, when you have great timbre match all the way around, you will not want to go back to anything less.

Maybe something like this would work well for the 530:
Amazon.com: VideoSecu One Pair of Side Clamping Speaker Mounting Bracket with Tilt and Swivel for Large Surrounding Sound Speakers MS56B 3LH: Computers & Accessories

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Oh nice, you got them to speed up the shipping time eh :)
I cancelled from Amazon - and bought from AcousticSoundDesign - through Amazon
which did not charge tax :confused: and I put that towards a quicker shipment - I want to
toy with them this week-end.

I would look at the VideoSecu mounts that cschang linked for the 530 speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
THX reference levels would be nice! :) I very well could be wrong but I doubt the X4000 is up to the task unless I can find some really efficient speakers.
If you really want a THX Reference system, the onus will almost always be on the speakers. The speakers which would need a huge amount of energy to be played that loud probably could not take that energy for more than a moment without destroying the drivers. So your X4000 is not the bottleneck to THX Reference levels, your speakers will be. I would be looking at 95+dB sensitive speakers for a solid THX system, unless your listening position is relatively close to the speakers.

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
If you really want a THX Reference system, the onus will almost always be on the speakers. The speakers which would need a huge amount of energy to be played that loud probably could not take that energy for more than a moment without destroying the drivers. So your X4000 is not the bottleneck to THX Reference levels, your speakers will be. I would be looking at 95+dB sensitive speakers for a solid THX system, unless your listening position is relatively close to the speakers.
Listening position is between 8-9 feet away, depending on if I am reclining in my rocker at the time ;-)

THX reference levels would be a huge bonus but not absolutely necessary. If only I had the budget for some JTR's...

I had looked at the Klipsch RF-62's, though I read somewhere that until you get into their heritage line the sensitivity ratings are inflated and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Aside from building my own, or expanding my budget by a large sum, are there any options available that you may know of that have a high enough sensitivity?

Of course, I suppose I could always add on an amplifier later on provided the speakers I get can handle it. But the I imagine you run into distortion issues.

Feels like I am running around in circles here if that makes any sense. lol

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
IMO...THX reference listening level is something that is over emphasized until you actually understand what it means or sounds like in your own listening space.

Reference levels were spec'd for large theaters, not living rooms. Reference level in those two environments sound very different due to the proximity of the speakers and walls to the listener. Tomlinson Holman (the TH in THX) has even posted as such in forums. If I had the time, I'd dig it up. He said, IIRC, that in his home theater, he reduced the level by 5db or so and it sounded more like a theater....something like that.

That isn't to say that some folks don't like it loud...because many do, but IMO, it is not because it is "reference" level (although many will tell you that), it is just because they like it loud. :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Feels like I am running around in circles here if that makes any sense. lol
:) It happens!

I really think you should listen to some speakers....because you can really go into paralysis by reading opinions. I mean look...zieg recommended the JBLs, the only one that did (although they do look interesting), and you are thinking about them. There are so many threads that will do that to you. :)

But if you enjoy the process...that is what matters.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The OP has been looking since February of 2013 - time to slow the spinning down.
Time to audition something.:)
Oh...I missed that.

Yes...get off the merry-go-round and start listening. :)

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
:) It happens!

I really think you should listen to some speakers....because you can really go into paralysis by reading opinions. I mean look...zieg recommended the JBLs, the only one that did (although they do look interesting), and you are thinking about them. There are so many threads that will do that to you. :)

But if you enjoy the process...that is what matters.
Outside of Best Buy I really have no way other than ordering multiple sets of speakers to listen to everything I would like to listen to. A proposition the wife would undoubtedly frown upon.

Likely I will be happy with most anything suggested here, I honestly think the process itself is just as enjoyable as listening to speakers. Being an IT guy, I appreciate spec sheets, graphs and logs.

As long as what I get can play loudly and accurately, without distortion or compression, I will be happy.

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
The OP has been looking since February of 2013 - time to slow the spinning down.
Time to audition something.:)
I stopped looking for quite some time after my initial foray into researching a system. After getting a new roof put on the house and an upgraded exhaust/headers/tune on my AMG I was a little short on disposable funds. :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Outside of Best Buy I really have no way other than ordering multiple sets of speakers to listen to everything I would like to listen to. A proposition the wife would undoubtedly frown upon.

Likely I will be happy with most anything suggested here, I honestly think the process itself is just as enjoyable as listening to speakers. Being an IT guy, I appreciate spec sheets, graphs and logs.

As long as what I get can play loudly and accurately, without distortion or compression, I will be happy.
Understood....I'm also an IT guy.

The most interesting thing about the specs and graphs....what's usually available in that regard rarely tells the whole story, or even the majority of it. That is the "ear" opener when you start listening to speakers in different environments. Add opinions...and then you really have your hands full! :)

Narrow it down to 2-3 pairs, and do what you can to get a listen. Some guys have had success involving the wife in the process...YMMV. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I stopped looking for quite some time after my initial foray into researching a system. After getting a new roof put on the house and an upgraded exhaust/headers/tune on my AMG I was a little short on disposable funds. :)
The best way to analyze a speaker is in a home - I never put all my eggs in
one basket - I have been doing this a long time - I gather some in-sight by
looking at various writings and reviews, and forum members comments >>
however they/it, can not speak for your ears, or guarantee anything.

Try to make a decision before July 2014 :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Aside from building my own, or expanding my budget by a large sum, are there any options available that you may know of that have a high enough sensitivity?
I don't really know of any that doesn't double your budget at the very least, sorry. There are some decent pro-audio speakers that might get you there for not too much, like the QSC K series. I know you don't want to build, but some SEOS or Pi kits would get you well beyond THX Reference with no problem and not be hugely more expensive expensive then what you are spending now. To be honest, that is what I wish I would have done when I first set out building my home theater. I still might do that.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Where are you located?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis