Ascend CMT-340: Anything comparable or better...

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for everyones input, you've given me alot to research as well as some solid advice. Ill post my impressions when I have some equipment here to listen to.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I sold a seet of 170s and a 340 center on ebay for $500 a while back, he should get a little more than 500..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all the replies, and Happy New Years!

Total budget for L/C/R, surrounds, and sub is between $2500-$3000, though I would like to stay as close to the $2500 mark as possible. It appears I can get a pair of stands, CMT-340 L/R/C, CMT-170 surrounds, and a Rythmik FV15HP for touch under $2500 shipped.

The main purpose of the system is for HT, I would say 70%/30% HT/Music.

Distance from the front three and 65" plasma is about 8 FT.
Happy new Year Brabus, I going to say at your budget stick with your current selections, what is if you don't mind the finish of the 340s & 170s
FV15HP is an amazing sub - easily on par with more expensive SVS PB13Ultra

brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
The finish isn't the greatest, but I suppose in a couple years when I get the itch to upgrade I'll look at something with a nicer appearance. As long as they sound good, that's what really matters to me. Fortunately the wife is pretty flexible, as long as they are black lol.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The finish isn't the greatest, but I suppose in a couple years when I get the itch to upgrade I'll look at something with a nicer appearance. As long as they sound good, that's what really matters to me. Fortunately the wife is pretty flexible, as long as they are black lol.
Like I stated, the decision comes down to you - and I am confident Ascend is a good option

However, for more exploration look at this sale - the word on the Studio 5 series is really good
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 570 Dual 5.25-Inch Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Each): Electronics

W

wilejoe

Junior Audioholic
Happy New Years everyone
Heard nothing but good things about Ascend products.
And they're made in the USA

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I sold a seet of 170s and a 340 center on ebay for $500 a while back, he should get a little more than 500..
Except people pay more on ebay because of international shipping, buyer protection, more scammers, and greater number of bidders.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
1/3 off, very nice sale. I wonder how well Studio center channel works with those. It looks like a unique center design, makes me curious.
Some people are even using it with the 590 towers and they seem quite happy - while you can not
buy into every so-called 5 star review (eat the fish and spit out the bones), the reviews seem to be
consistent. I really believe there is something here with this series - and no real complaints of ear
fatigue. I for sure, am curious. They seem to be real popular with music and movies.

When JBL is on - they are on - and hard to knock off.

I have a strange feeling that the 530 bookshelves, will give my Boston E60 and Snell K7 a fit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I do like what JBL do for their pro audio lines, but most of their JBL branded home speakers (not to confuse with Harman owned Revel brand) have been mostly disappointing.
Even Infinity Primus - ex-ToGo AH forum recommendation has been bested by rivals in comprarable price ranges

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I do like what JBL do for their pro audio lines, but most of their JBL branded home speakers (not to confuse with Harman owned Revel brand) have been mostly disappointing.
Even Infinity Primus - ex-ToGo AH forum recommendation has been bested by rivals in comprarable price ranges
I'm not sure why that is honestly, but I have found the same with home jbl. Of course the pro surrounds and lsr series are amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have owned some home JBL speakers and they can fall short - however, not
all of them - and I for sure will not speculate that the Studio 5 will be sour.
They for sure, seem to have a much better build quality over their lower cheapy
stuff. And they are not using stamp frame baskets on their woofers like Infinity.

If I did not feel that they have something nice here - then I would have never
recommended someone look into them >> I for sure am interested, and that
review from AVHub with the measurements, are nice on the 590.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DLlj23QiYw

Last edited:
brabus

brabus

Audioholic Intern
After seeing those videos and reading part of that review on the JBL's I am intrigued. I noticed that with the 570's versus the 590's that they are less efficient, and are also less efficient than the Ascend's. Should that be a cause for concern? Would it stand to reason that the FR graphs would be similar across the Studio 5 line? I wish there was more information out there about these speakers. I will have to do some digging around tomorrow, perhaps I can find some other reviews as well.

Thanks for pointing these out, it is giving me something to think about.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
After seeing those videos and reading part of that review on the JBL's I am intrigued. I noticed that with the 570's versus the 590's that they are less efficient, and are also less efficient than the Ascend's. Should that be a cause for concern? Would it stand to reason that the FR graphs would be similar across the Studio 5 line? I wish there was more information out there about these speakers. I will have to do some digging around tomorrow, perhaps I can find some other reviews as well.

Thanks for pointing these out, it is giving me something to think about.
For me, I am not overly concerned about 2 db sensitivity in one speaker vs another brand.
The JBL are still said to be easy to drive and can get Loud - the subwoofer will take off
some stress down low.

As far as measurements between the studio series - it is hard to say - however, Greg
Timbers is a good designer, and I am not really concerned about that. The key is the
overall sound performance. No one has complained about an un-balanced sound or, a
poor midrange.

They look to be built well from the inside out - towers, bookshelf and center.

These are some subjective reviews of the bookshelf 530 speaker
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/product-reviews/B00622STI0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CIAG3K0qU9V/p_109ST530B/JBL-Studio-530-Black.html#customer-reviews-tab

Subjective on the towers
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-570-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/product-reviews/B0068HAAVS/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Subjective on the 520 center
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-520CBK-Channel-Speaker/product-reviews/B00622SUHK/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

As was suggested in post #38 >> if you are having trouble deciding, then get a pair of the JBL 530 and a pair of
the Ascend 170 and test them out >> or, a pair of the 570 towers and Ascend 340 speakers, and test them out.
Send the loser back - then finish building your system.

You may feel different than this owner
http://dagogo.com/forum/speakers/a-speaker-caught-my-eye

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If you are intrigued by them, find a place that will give you a listen, or an online dealer that has a good return policy.

In fact, the best thing to do is compare them in your own space. If you can swing a pair of the CMT-340SE's, and willing to deal with the return shipping, and the same with the JBL's, then you should absolutely do so and listen to them in your own home.

Surprised no one has suggested that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
In fact, the best thing to do is compare them in your own space. If you can swing a pair of the CMT-340SE's, and willing to deal with the return shipping, and the same with the JBL's, then you should absolutely do so and listen to them in your own home.

Surprised no one has suggested that.
I was getting ready to do that - just not finished yet. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I noticed that with the 570's versus the 590's that they are less efficient, and are also less efficient than the Ascend's. Should that be a cause for concern?
The JBL 500s are using compression drivers for the tweeter, those should be able to get pretty loud. I wouldn't think the Ascend's dome tweeter would have as much dynamic range. On the other hand the Ascend's are using larger woofers which aren't being tasked to play as deeply as the JBLs. Either speaker should be able to get loud enough for you unless you are after THX Reference levels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis