Ascend Acoustic Ribbon Towers

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Is it me, or does the way the cutouts are make it a little confusing as to which way is up? I had them oriented correctly when I picked them up to put them on and actually flipped them because it didn't look right to me.

I'll never confuse it again tho, that's for sure. The image is welded into my brain now, lol.
I did it more than once, that’s why I put a sticker on the inside of the grill clearly labeled UP.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yikes! You can speed up the healing by playing it loud for a long time. You know, in the name of health. Poor design, a badge on the grill would help to know which end is up. Or, just design it so it doesn’t matter which end is up. Are they trying to give audiophiles heart attacks?

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Goddamnit! I put the f**kin grilles on upside down last night!

View attachment 36833

The other one isn't as bad as this one. It's slowly bouncing back. Did I just do permanent damage? Grrrr!
You should post this directly in the Ascend Acoustics forums. I’ll back you up because I agree that this should be addressed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You should post this directly in the Ascend Acoustics forums. I’ll back you up because I agree that this should be addressed.
I think I just may do that. This is something I don't think a speaker owner should have to worry about. I've owned lots of speakers and never ran into this issue before.
Yikes! You can speed up the healing by playing it loud for a long time. You know, in the name of health. Poor design, a badge on the grill would help to know which end is up. Or, just design it so it doesn’t matter which end is up. Are they trying to give audiophiles heart attacks?
Already there! Fortunately they look like they're gonna bounce back 100%. What sucks is I put them on last night before bed so they sat like that all night. I never put my grilles on either. Like, never. I only did it because I've never had magnetic grilles before and think they're cool.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I never put my grilles on either.
If it ain't broke...

...don't start now! :p :D :cool:

FWIW, the BMR Grilles are similarly designed... smaller, simpler, but with some milling to fit the ScanSpeak Driver as that goes edge to edge on the Baffle. Admittedly, I might only have put them on once for 5 minutes after I had them set up. I don't think I ever unwrapped the 2 front Grilles for the 3s, only the back Grilles for the Upper Cabinet.
*blushes
*...unappologetically
;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I had Klipsch Forte II’s years ago and thought the magnetic grilles were amazing things. Shouldn’t they all be at this point?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose that's pretty impressive as to the grill's magnet strength? Then again if you just leave 'em on.... :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If it ain't broke...

...don't start now! :p :D :cool:

FWIW, the BMR Grilles are similarly designed... smaller, simpler, but with some milling to fit the ScanSpeak Driver as that goes edge to edge on the Baffle. Admittedly, I might only have put them on once for 5 minutes after I had them set up. I don't think I ever unwrapped the 2 front Grilles for the 3s, only the back Grilles for the Upper Cabinet.
*blushes
*...unappologetically
;)
It for sure was just the cool factor for me. I almost didn't but saw them leaning in the corner and just had to play. Took 'em off first thing this morning.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It for sure was just the cool factor for me. I almost didn't but saw them leaning in the corner and just had to play. Took 'em off first thing this morning.
It's all fun and games until somebody dents a surround! ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Really? You don't see that thing? Well, as long as you don't see it, I guess we'll call it good. :p

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
That would absolutely be an issue. In such cases, if you are able to, treat the walled surface with acoustic absorption. That should make the left side behave more like the right side and provide a more even sound between the two speakers.
@shadyJ u think one 2’ square panel from Gik at first reflection point with the center at tweeter height a good start? Or would I want more vertical space treated?

@Pogre glad your crisis was averted!! I’ve not put my grills back on since getting mine, but my 3 month old is going to be toddling around in a blink, I’ll need them then. so I’ll definitely remember to be careful with em!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ u think one 2’ square panel from Gik at first reflection point with the center at tweeter height a good start? Or would I want more vertical space treated?

@Pogre glad your crisis was averted!! I’ve not put my grills back on since getting mine, but my 3 month old is going to be toddling around in a blink, I’ll need them then. so I’ll definitely remember to be careful with em!
I'm not an acoustician, but I would think that should help. Make sure the absorber is a broadband absorber. Might be worth dropping GIK an email asking for a suggestion about what panel would work best for your purposes. The vertical space isn't your problem; the asymmetry on the horizontal plane is the problem. I wouldn't worry about the vertical plane.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Pogre has 'discovered' a new, foolproof, fully-audiophile-certified way to break in speakers literally overnight.

I bet they sound magically delicious now that they've been broken in with this new method.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Well, that's one way to "loosen up' the surrounds on your woofers. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis