as if COVID wasn't bad enough ............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
You only get as far as you are willing to walk. Stopping where you are stopping, not engaging in looking for other viewpoints, tells me you have an agenda and not a possible pursuit of a greater truth in mind.
I promised myself that I wouldn’t comment further on this but I can’t seem to keep my big trap shut. :)

Regarding Fox News. Guilty. My smarmy response to you didn’t help. I'm still trying to wrap my head around your 'greater truth'.

Repeatedly stories like this in various news outlets over the last 20 years though keep popping up and aren’t helping me to change my perception of them.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-news-staffers-erupt-over-150024491.html

There is no doubt where Fox's sympathies lie politically, which I disagree with occasionally, just like I disagree with CNN or others. Like most of us here, we are all pre-disposed to our own long-held beliefs, until proven otherwise, and the great thing about our country is we are still allowed to voice those beliefs without fear. I don't believe any of us has a monopoly on a ‘correct opinion’ or 'greater truth', including myself.

But the facts, and yes the truth, is a different story altogether. If this happened once or twice a year, where a news organization gets their facts wrong, you could chalk it up to a rush to judgement to break a story but Fox News seems to be a serial offender in this regard is my perception, since it's inception.

All the major televised news organizations in the US have a ‘bent’ to their reporting. CNN and PBS are center to left, NBC is a little more left of center and Fox is more right to the center from where I’m sitting. You may disagree and that’s fine.

That’s why I prefer to read the news fresh off the AP or Reuters wire services, before the facts are massaged by the other news organizations to their respective audiences. And I base my facts/opinions accordingly while cross-checking the information whenever possible.

As Sgt. Joe Friday (Jack Webb on Dragnet) was mis-attributed to say ... it was actually from Dan Akyrod/Tom Hanks movie ... "Just the fact's, ma'am".
https://www.metv.com/stories/sgt-joe-friday-never-actually-said-just-the-facts-maam-on-dragnet

Sadly though after the evening news on TV is over, it’s Op-Ed time with disastrous results for our country. This isn’t accidental. It’s by design to polarize us to watch them exclusively. Hannity, Cuomo, Maddow, Carlson, Lemon, Ingraham, et all, aren’t reporting the news impartially, no matter how much they protest to the contrary. They’re talking heads; no more, no less.

And the faster we recognize that ‘fact’, the better off we’ll all be.

Off the soapbox and back to changing the cross-over on my sub-woofer settings, to see if I can squeeze another millimeter of SQ from my gear.

Peace

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The Nazi treatment of Jews and the institution of slavery differ in degree, not in kind.

The Nazis used the law to "legalize" their mistreatment of Jews, who were also used for forced labour. I can only assume black slaves didn't have much to steal...so, there is one difference.

Thanks for the links. I will take a gander.
Only those who were seen as 'healthy enough' went to the labor camps- many of the others went immediately from the trains to the gas chambers. The ones who had to wait to be gassed or shot were intentionally starved, heinous medical experiments were done on many and they also dug large pits where they would fall in after being shot. Those who hadn't been killed yet dug the pits, moved the bodies to make room for more and filled the pits, sometimes seeing and moving the bodies of family members and people they knew. The treatment of slaves is nothing like what the Jews endured and persecution of Jews has gone on for far longer than the often-quoted "400 years" of Black slavery. I'm not minimalizing anything, but the degree of inhumanity during WWII was far more comprehensive.

If you haven't watched videos from the concentration camps, do that if you have a strong stomach. If not, just read about it. Watching the videos isn't easy.

highfigh

highfigh

I agree its complicated and in some ways impossible to without any doubt trace every instance of this. I agree many people who created generational wealth did it by working really hard, but at that same time if a person of color had had access to the same programs they would also have been creating that same wealth.

either way its a cluster ....
Haven't we seen Blacks who came from nothing and were very successful? Look at the former slaves who became iconic- W.E.B. DuBois, Booker T Washington, Frederick Douglas.... some became statesmen very soon after slavery ended. Opportunities have been squandered, IMO. Schools haven't denied education to Blacks but gang life and bad families have given far too many some "reason" to stop going to school. I used quotes because, IMO, quitting school doesn't actually involve 'reason' unless it's because someone is ill, needs to care for a family member or work to support the family. If someone quits school to become more involved in a gang and criminal activity, they can't be looking very far into their own future.

Denzel Washington and others have spoken about opportunity vs outcome.

I searched using 'Former slaves who became icons' and found some interesting links.

highfigh

highfigh

The vast majority of the protesters are peaceful.

You forgot to write that they are also atheist Muslims of color, or something.
Muslims hold Allah above all- they aren't atheist.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Only those who were seen as 'healthy enough' went to the labor camps- many of the others went immediately from the trains to the gas chambers. The ones who had to wait to be gassed or shot were intentionally starved, heinous medical experiments were done on many and they also dug large pits where they would fall in after being shot. Those who hadn't been killed yet dug the pits, moved the bodies to make room for more and filled the pits, sometimes seeing and moving the bodies of family members and people they knew. The treatment of slaves is nothing like what the Jews endured and persecution of Jews has gone on for far longer than the often-quoted "400 years" of Black slavery. I'm not minimalizing anything, but the degree of inhumanity during WWII was far more comprehensive.

If you haven't watched videos from the concentration camps, do that if you have a strong stomach. If not, just read about it. Watching the videos isn't easy.
Yep, I'm well aware of how the Jews were treated. I read a lot of history. The killing of slaves wasn't exactly uncommon. One example:

There were certainly difference in treatment, but again, in degree not in kind.

highfigh

highfigh

The damage is into the tens of millions of dollars level. Minority ownership or BLM posters haven't spared their businesses from destruction.

As for theater, now Fed goons are throwing fuel on the fire. Some might say their actions are unconstitutional. I can't help but imagine that Portland cop from the video arresting one of the unidentified feds..."You are under arrest for violating the Posse Comitatus act. You have the right to remain silent; anything you say can and will be used against you..." I would bet his rapid response unit would give the fed border patrol goons in their unmarked minivans a solid whoopin.

Yes, I'm on my third beer.
Nationwide, the damage is closer to billions, not millions. Also, any of the protesters and rioters who caused damage and have insurance policies are in for a rude awakening because the insurance industry isn't going to eat the cost of any damage they will cover- EVRYONE'S insurance is going to be more expensive. I really hope they hate this- they need to realize that it's not necessary to ruin peoples' lives in order to make their point.

highfigh

highfigh

Yep, I'm well aware of how the Jews were treated. I read a lot of history. The killing of slaves wasn't exactly uncommon. One example:

There were certainly difference in treatment, but again, in degree not in kind.
You want to compare killing 130 slaves in one incident to Nazi Germany exterminating 6 million Jews during WWII? Six million slaves weren't killed in six years but the reason they (both) were killed was the same- they were seen as 'inferior races'.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You want to compare killing 130 slaves in one incident to Nazi Germany exterminating 6 million Jews during WWII? Six million slaves weren't killed in six years but the reason they (both) were killed was the same- they were seen as 'inferior races'.
I see that we have a difference of opinion on the meaning of " difference in degree, not in kind".

I posted one example of slave killings. I could post more if you like. You mentioned medical experiments conducted on Jews by the Nazis. How about this:

Of course, that was after the days of slavery, but I expect that would not be of much comfort to the victims and/or their families. Look, we have different opinions on this that I don't think we will resolve. Best we not beat the dead horse any further.

highfigh

highfigh

Still don't get it, but then you're a hard-core Trump supporter and being dumb goes with the territory.
Your insults are typical of what I expect from you.

To quote your post, "I was just making a feeble joke at your expense :D"- that's the understatement of the millennium.

It used to be the Communist bogeyman that is now Marxist.

You do realize that Marxism predates Communism as it has been practiced, right?

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/posts/1404781/react?reaction_id=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis