Arendial Sound 1723 2s vs SVS PB 16 Ultra?

F

FT251

Audiophyte
I have narrowed my search to these two subs. They are very close in price. I cannot find any reviews on the 1723 2s, I can find one on the 1723 2V but i am not interested in on that big or a vented sub for my use. Is there a review or information about it anywhere. How do these two compare as they are within $300 of each other.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
James would be rightfully angry at me for comparing two different subs measured by different people using likely different methods, but since I know nothing bout Arendal subs (before your post) and a HEAVY dose of salt is required to accept their published CEA2010 measurement here: https://arendalsound.com/product/1723-subwoofer-2s/
but comparing to James measurement here:
My conclusion is SVS's sub digs MUCH deeper and does it very cleanly. That said Arendal starts to flex its muscles somewhere above 50hz, where SVS behavior is more held back (likely by DSP/filters). I have no idea about its distortion numbers/results.
I think the winner here is fairly obvious and it's .... a drumroll.... https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html

F

FT251

Audiophyte
Thanks, I made a mistake and meant the SVS SB16 Ultra, the PB is too big. Sorry for the confusion. My mistake.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, I made a mistake and meant the SVS SB16 Ultra, the PB is too big. Sorry for the confusion. My mistake.
basically, the same results and conclusion, except SB16 difference below 50hz aren't as powerful as pb16ultra.
I still recommend going with dual ULS15 subs :) for much better value and better bass across more seats in the room.
further reading:

F

FT251

Audiophyte
Thanks for the interesting suggestion. I don’t think I would get away with two 18 inch cubes in our shared living space. Not sure where the second one would even fit , even in an opposing wall or corner. Thanks for the suggestion. i do like the DSP EQ ability on the SVS and 17232S though. Maybe Audioholics will soon eval the Arendial 1723 2s soon!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the interesting suggestion. I don’t think I would get away with two 18 inch cubes in our shared living space. Not sure where the second one would even fit , even in an opposing wall or corner. Thanks for the suggestion. i do like the DSP EQ ability on the SVS and 17232S though. Maybe Audioholics will soon eval the Arendial 1723 2s soon!
Currently reviewing the 1723 2V. No plans to review the 2S though. I think Arendal's numbers are pretty accurate, and maybe even under-reporting output due to the design. I would guess that the SB16 has a bit more output at 25-40Hz, with the 1723 2S having a bit more output at 50Hz and above. Both are fine subs no doubt. There is app control coming for the 1723 subs soon.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just a side note where' you're correct HSU is about 18" cube, 1723-2S is actually bigger, and as for placement - if floor space is at a premium, you could always just stack both HSUs on top of each other.
Some more ideas on subs placements here:

D

Dinger928

Audiophyte
Currently reviewing the 1723 2V. No plans to review the 2S though. I think Arendal's numbers are pretty accurate, and maybe even under-reporting output due to the design. I would guess that the SB16 has a bit more output at 25-40Hz, with the 1723 2S having a bit more output at 50Hz and above. Both are fine subs no doubt. There is app control coming for the 1723 subs soon.

No plans to review the 2S though
@shadyJ Now that you have reviewed almost the entire Arendal sub line, do you have plans to complete it and finally review the 1723 2S?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis