Arendal Sound 1723 Subwoofer 2S Review

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
"One of these days I would love to do a formal blind test among listeners to see if they can distinguish the difference between the two designs where the frequency response is the same. I have a feeling it would end up in a statistical tie."
Awesome idea James! We used to do something similar with guitars. The artists would request that the musicians add "sparkle" or a little "sauce" to the sound. So the guitar players would install toggle switches on their guitars that did absolutely nothing. But the artist just SEEING them "toggle up/down" resulted in them proclaiming it "sounded better". There are some good YouTube videos that talk about it with some of the most premier musicians around. Hilarious. We are ALL susceptible to confirmation bias. Look forward to your video! Cheers.

S

stevestrike

Enthusiast
Regarding your point about same SPL per frequency with all other metrics being equal, yes, ported and sealed would sound the same. One of these days I would love to do a formal blind test among listeners to see if they can distinguish the difference between the two designs where the frequency response is the same. I have a feeling it would end up in a statistical tie.
That's actually a great idea. I just finished watching the entire ~90 minute Audioholics youtube video "Sealed vs Ported Subwoofers: Which is Better?" Was kinda funny that Matt, the one advocating for sealed, got called out for using ported subs in his own setup?

I believe you (or someone) mentioned that people perceive ported subs as slower/looser/etc because the response curve is flatter and you get that lower freq. energy that isn't present in the sealed version--meaning the midbass 'punch' can shine through more with sealed. However, I assume you could get similar results with judicious use of EQ to mimic a typical sealed sub's natural roll off?

I tried the Arendal 2s. Used them as end tables along my sofa. Didn't get the response I desired and sent them back. (Open space and they were "free standing".) Once I went smaller and against the wall for the benefits of boundary gain, I got the response I desired without rattling everything in my room. It's one thing to have those infrasonic and sub sonic frequencies in a "studio/theater", it's quite another to have that in a living environment where EVERYTHING rattles every time I watch a movie. It's super annoying.
Curious if your 2S were the white ones? Because I noticed there are two of them available in their outlet right now. I was actually planning on going the 'end table' route if I got the Arendal, so you may have saved me from that mistake. (and I completely agree with you about having the entire living room rattle!)

In the end, I've got the floor space to do pretty much anything I want within reason. I am fortunate to have the rare "WDGAF" factor. It's a big open room, but I just don't listen at loud levels, maybe -15. So a pair of sealed SB3000 or even SB16's. Of course, with a pair I've got to try to integrate them so maybe just go single PB-3000/1V/X15 and be done with it.

Great hobby.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
That's actually a great idea. I just finished watching the entire ~90 minute Audioholics youtube video "Sealed vs Ported Subwoofers: Which is Better?" Was kinda funny that Matt, the one advocating for sealed, got called out for using ported subs in his own setup?

I believe you (or someone) mentioned that people perceive ported subs as slower/looser/etc because the response curve is flatter and you get that lower freq. energy that isn't present in the sealed version--meaning the midbass 'punch' can shine through more with sealed. However, I assume you could get similar results with judicious use of EQ to mimic a typical sealed sub's natural roll off?

Curious if your 2S were the white ones? Because I noticed there are two of them available in their outlet right now. I was actually planning on going the 'end table' route if I got the Arendal, so you may have saved me from that mistake. (and I completely agree with you about having the entire living room rattle!)

In the end, I've got the floor space to do pretty much anything I want within reason. I am fortunate to have the rare "WDGAF" factor. It's a big open room, but I just don't listen at loud levels, maybe -15. So a pair of sealed SB3000 or even SB16's. Of course, with a pair I've got to try to integrate them so maybe just go single PB-3000/1V/X15 and be done with it.

Great hobby.
They were very powerful and worked as "end tables", just didn't work in my space. The build quality is second to none. The packaging was ridiculous and the amp plate must be like 50 lbs. They also look really great and you wouldn't notice them except for the grills. I do have a significant other who cared much about aesthetics who doesn't understand, like at all, why I don't just use TV speakers. I say; "same reason you drive a Lexus not a Toyota!" (I have the Toyota but soon, Perlistens! Lol. Joke is on her!)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think that is largely correct. I think that deeper frequencies have more perceptual 'weight' and therefore sound 'slower' or 'heavier' so some people erroneously think there are time-domain problems. Also, room gain can give too much boost to subs with an anechoically flat response down to deep frequencies which makes them sound very bottom-heavy.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
I think that is largely correct. I think that deeper frequencies have more perceptual 'weight' and therefore sound 'slower' or 'heavier' so some people erroneously think there are time-domain problems. Also, room gain can give too much boost to subs with an anechoically flat response down to deep frequencies which makes them sound very bottom-heavy.
Time-domain and frequency-domain receives a great deal of focus in professional listening environments. Trying to get the phase correct when miking the top and bottom head of a snare drum or trying to capture horn players as they naturally move their instruments in a room with multiple microphones takes so much effort. We don't mess around with our playback systems. We rely on a quality integrator and very careful measurements. Home theater is fun to mess around with but I just got sick of the hassle and will just call on Matt when ready for my Perlistens. Moving those Arendal's around nearly killed my back! James - YOU ARE A STUD to do this as often as you do! (But would love to see Gene's RBHs hoisted 10' in the air in your garage!)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think it really depends on the design. Far too many commercial designers play the my F3 is lower than yours game. So extended bass high Qt alignments are far too common. In addition you do have to watch group delay in the design of ported subs, and you can get it excessive, if you are not careful. High Q and high group delay, will make a ported sub ooze bass like treakle!

I certainly have heard commercial subs that I am pretty sure are not competently designed. I think some listeners like that "gooey" bass though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Arendel 1723 2S is $2400, but Dual ULS-15 MK2 are $1778. Granted, the HSU don't have the fit and finish or on-board processing that the 1723 comes with, but the HSU should have more than double the output of the 2S below 40Hz. Is that a fair statement?

So I guess my question is given a $1,800-2,400 budget, how important is getting dual subs? If it's very important, then the HSU seems like a good choice. But if a single, sealed sub works just as well then the 1723 2S offers more features and more luxury, which I am good with as well.

I've been looking a subs, and CEA-2010 data, and watching review videos for weeks now. I was set to purchase a 1723 2S when someone brought up the SB16 Ultra and I'm super confused again. Arendal, HSU, SVS, and to a lesser-extent Rythmik and Paradigm (the X15 piques my interest).

I honestly can't tell if the "sealed vs. ported" debate has any actual merit to it, or if it's just another thing audio geeks like to fight about on the internet. I was always taught that sealed subs gave better/faster response with more chest thump and kick for music. Now I read that ported (can) offer better effciency, more SPL, and a better/flatter response curve.

Physically, I assume that SPL is SPL at a given frequency, so that all else being equal (group delay, distortion, etc..) a sealed and ported sub would sound (and feel) exactly the same while playing material that was in a standard 20-80Hz range. Is that crazy? Apologies for the long rant and @shadyJ I really appreciate the reviews you write. I think I've literally read all of them, and some of them 2-3 times.
Minor corrections: Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 SHIPPED would cost $2070 whereas the Arendal 2S is listed at $2400, but includes shipping.
I agree with James that measuring a dual-opposed sub isn't easy and probably in-room it COULD provide higher output than a single ULS-15 mk2, however, as things now, unless I am reading this incorrectly a single ULS-15 mk2 sub is both smaller AND it beats twice more expensive Arendal sub as both measured by James using the same method. Yes, HSU isn't as pretty nor sophisticated, but in general, very few subs could beat HSU for Value/performance.
As for your claim of getting double performance from dual HSU subs - this, unfortunately, isn't quite true.
If you place both of them on top of each other, you THEORETICALLY should get 6db higher output vs. a single sub.
If you place them in other locations, like opposing corners, to help even room modes and deliver better bass, you'd get only 3db extra.
Now, a bit of physics lesson:
3db is doubling of power
6db is a doubling of sound pressure level (SPL)
10 dB is considered to be, to humans, with a nonlinear sense of amplitude, a doubling of apparent loudness.

TL;DR: Two subs aren't the same as doubling the bass

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you place both of them on top of each other, you THEORETICALLY should get 6db higher output vs. a single sub.
If you place them in other locations, like opposing corners, to help even room modes and deliver better bass, you'd get only 3db extra.
Now, a bit of physics lesson:
3db is doubling of power
6db is a doubling of sound pressure level (SPL)
10 dB is considered to be, to humans, with a nonlinear sense of amplitude, a doubling of apparent loudness.

TL;DR: Two subs aren't the same as doubling the bass
Perceptual increase of amplitude is frequency-dependent, so it does not take 10dB to register as a doubling of loudness in low frequencies. This can be seen in how the lines in equal loudness contours bunch up in lower frequencies. So a gain of 3dB is actually very significant in low bass. Gene and Matt go into this in a very enlightening Livestream.

S

stevestrike

Enthusiast
Just finished that livestream--very interesting! And I ordered the 2S for room, so now the hurry up and wait begins.

For anyone who ends up here after reading shadyJ's review, I can say that I looked (very) closely at subs from SVS/Rhythmik/ML/PSA/REL/Paradigm/ELAC/Klipsh, and even DIY. It is truly amazing that we have this many great options to choose from! There's no doubt I could be happy with any of them since they all seem to make very fine subwoofers, however...

HSU & Monoprice have the price/performance thing going for them, but hitting that price point leaves the design, look, feel and tech wanting.

Rhythmik: Here's a clue, hire a professional web developer. The website looks like it was built buy a guy who read book about websites back in 2006. This is supposed to be a serious company I'm going to spend thousands of dollars with? While they get great reviews for sound quality, they aren't cheap and first contact doesn't inspire confidence that they'll be around when I need support or warranty work.

After great sound, my wish list (App/ease of adjustment, room correction/PEQ, good-looking, long warranty, sealed over ported, and wireless connection) indicated SVS and Arendal as the top options for me to choose from. The 1723 subs make a strong showing over the other brands in a few key areas:
  • Look & design is cleaner than most, and the narrow tower can fit in against a wall more easily. Bonus points for not just one, but two different black AND two different white finishes available--can you say WAF?
  • The tech on these subs is great--the driver technology, 7 band PEQ on the amp, color LCD that can flip, full app control with EQ presents, Dual inputs RCA & XLR with asisgnable presets/EQ, for each.
  • 10/5 year warranty with a solid 60-day in-home trial, combined with the fact that both professional reviewers and online user reviews seem to be overwhlemingly positive--positive about the 1723 subs, Arendal's entire speaker lineup, and about the company as a whole. The seem to be engaged with their products and customer community (which is not to say that the other brands are not) and that is always a good thing.
About the only downside I can think of to add to shadyJ's list would be there is no wireless option and no room correction. The ML, Paradigm, ELAC, and likely others have some room correction which would be nice, but is not a deal breaker with the PEQ you get on the amp.

Anyway, I heard this thing slams and I've got a date with The Equalizer 3 soon, so I'm really looking forward to trying this sub out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis