Are these Old Speakers Dying, if So Can you Recommend a modern Equivalent.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Floorstanding old 1990 Sony SS-U501 Speakers, you can see them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202221328292

The bottom woofer is just for show, foam only, OK, I realize these are not considered great speakers but I've stuck with them because even with a low grade $200 Sony MHC-GX450, it sounds good to me, clearly I am no audiophile but if these speakers are going I would like to learn what could be a modern equivalent in terms of power and clean sound.

It is 8 ohms at 270 watts, does that mean 270 is the peak, I think the woofer is 12", not certain modern speakers are even made in that size but if I have to replace them, what could be a sub $500 replacement and sub $1000 replacement?

Finally the original question, are they dying, this is happening to one speaker, you get like a sort of echo, faint but noticeable on dialogue for tv/movies and fm radio announcers etc. But here is the odd thing, I take the speaker cover off, manipulate the foam with my hands and the echo interference is gone, in the past month this echo effect has only happened twice and each time I just move the foam, goes away, magic, coincidence, some build up of what??? I don't know, luck, who knows, this whole thread is a longshot because I realize that many factors could be causing such interference including possibly a neighbor's wifi, but I'm just throwing it out there in hopes somebody else has dealt with this.

Also part of the foam covering has broken away and I don't know if that is influencing things but this echo effect is so isolated, I'm not even certain an echo is the right word, kind of like each word is elongated at the end in a hiss type fashion.

Thanks for your time and help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are your particular speakers or just a photo like yours?

Don't know what you mean by bottom woofer is just for show, foam only. An audiophile is merely someone enthusiastic about hi-fi audio reproduction....if you're here you could easily be an audiophile :) It's good to have more experience and knowledge of course....and you've come to a good place I think.

So by foam are you referring to a speaker's surround like in this article https://www.speakerworks.com/speaker-repair-kits-s/65.htm ? You could be having issues with the voice coil, when you press on the speaker cone are you getting any roughness/scraping as the cone goes back and forth?

Hard to know what a speaker's wattage rating means, often just a max power before meltdown, so not terribly useful except as a guideline as a limit. Many modern speakers don't come with large woofers, but some do. You can also supplement speakers with subwoofers.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Those are your particular speakers or just a photo like yours?

Don't know what you mean by bottom woofer is just for show, foam only. An audiophile is merely someone enthusiastic about hi-fi audio reproduction....if you're here you could easily be an audiophile :) It's good to have more experience and knowledge of course....and you've come to a good place I think.

So by foam are you referring to a speaker's surround like in this article https://www.speakerworks.com/speaker-repair-kits-s/65.htm ? You could be having issues with the voice coil, when you press on the speaker cone are you getting any roughness/scraping as the cone goes back and forth?

Hard to know what a speaker's wattage rating means, often just a max power before meltdown, so not terribly useful except as a guideline as a limit. Many modern speakers don't come with large woofers, but some do. You can also supplement speakers with subwoofers.
This is what I'm referencing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SS-U431AV-SS-U491AV-SS-U501-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Repair-Kit-2A12B-m130/282527675170?hash=item41c7f63322:g:~RQAAOSwFGNWTivu:sc:USPSFirstClass!10007!US!-1

That is a picture of the same speaker I own (not my actual speakers), the bottom is just an empty grill with foam covering, I removed it completely, have not noticed a sound difference.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those look like they came with one of those "rack systems" from back in the 80s. They won't be worth putting too much $$ into to fix, unless you're truly in love with them.

If you like bass on the hearty side, look for some Cerwin Vega AT-15 or D-9's, or Klipsch KLF 20's or 30's on the used market. Any of those you can score for under $1000 in good condition.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is what I'm referencing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SS-U431AV-SS-U491AV-SS-U501-Speaker-Foam-Surround-Repair-Kit-2A12B-m130/282527675170?hash=item41c7f63322:g:~RQAAOSwFGNWTivu:sc:USPSFirstClass!10007!US!-1

That is a picture of the same speaker I own (not my actual speakers), the bottom is just an empty grill with foam covering, I removed it completely, have not noticed a sound difference.
Pictures of your own speaker(s) would be more helpful I think.....that link is to a foam surround repair kit. Not sure what an empty grill with foam covering means. Is a driver missing?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those look like they came with one of those "rack systems" from back in the 80s. They won't be worth putting too much $$ into to fix, unless you're truly in love with them.

If you like bass on the hearty side, look for some Cerwin Vega AT-15 or D-9's, or Klipsch KLF 20's or 30's on the used market. Any of those you can score for under $1000 in good condition.
I got a pair of D-9’s up in my studio(need foams). Loved em back in the day.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Are you saying you tore the cloth off of the bottom part of the grill or that you pulled the whole driver out, or..?

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Pictures of your own speaker(s) would be more helpful I think.....that link is to a foam surround repair kit. Not sure what an empty grill with foam covering means. Is a driver missing?
In the original post the first link are the actual speakers, someone is selling their own on ebay. The bottom is just an empty grill with foam over it to look as though it is a functioning speaker, it is just there in case you wanted to actually add another 12" woofer.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Are you saying you tore the cloth off of the bottom part of the grill or that you pulled the whole driver out, or..?
The lower speaker is just an empty grill or shell to hold a speaker but no speaker is present with the foam cover, like a dummy speaker to appear as if two woofers are present, in case if you wanted to add one, I don't know why they were made this way.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic

Thanks, originally I bought them with a rack set with this as the main: 1990 Sony TA-AX401 Integrated Amp

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It is 8 ohms at 270 watts, does that mean 270 is the peak, I think the woofer is 12", not certain modern speakers are even made in that size but if I have to replace them, what could be a sub $500 replacement and sub $1000 replacement?
I would say it is time to graduate from the Sony

I would look at DCM speakers that are being cleared out at real good prices, and they will have some bass

DCM TFE100 speakers -- clearance price -- sold each
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCM-MTX-Audio-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Bi-Amp-Home-Theater-Floor-Standing-Tower-Speaker/183943136723?hash=item2ad3dd85d3:g:lPkAAOSwzAhdg65S

Better picture of them here
http://www.dcmspeakers.com/products/cabinet/tfe100.htm

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The lower speaker is just an empty grill or shell to hold a speaker but no speaker is present with the foam cover, like a dummy speaker to appear as if two woofers are present, in case if you wanted to add one, I don't know why they were made this way.
A passive driver..? I'm still confused, however it sounds like you're due for some new speakers either way so I'll let it go, lol.

Kevin makes a pretty good suggestion as to a modern equivalent with Cerwin Vega. They make those party style speakers with big woofers. There are other ways you can go tho if you're open to suggestions and we have an idea of what you have for a budget.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
A passive driver..? I'm still confused, however it sounds like you're due for some new speakers either way so I'll let it go, lol.

Kevin makes a pretty good suggestion as to a modern equivalent with Cerwin Vega. They make those party style speakers with big woofers. There are other ways you can go tho if you're open to suggestions and we have an idea of what you have for a budget.
Yes, I would like to read your other suggestions, Crutchfield recommended these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA5B/Polk-Audio-RTi-A5-Black.html

If you have an opinion on the Polk's as well as your suggestions, thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have room in your budget and would consider it, I think a pair of decent bookshelf speakers and a sub or 2 would bring you a whole new experience and sound really nice.

Otherwise I've been hearing good things about those tower speakers Zieg posted. That's a good price for a nice speaker that should blow your old ones out of the water.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the original post the first link are the actual speakers, someone is selling their own on ebay. The bottom is just an empty grill with foam over it to look as though it is a functioning speaker, it is just there in case you wanted to actually add another 12" woofer.
Gotcha, didn't scroll down for the seller's description until now, assumed you weren't the seller but rather an owner using them for pics. Looking around I see that model may indeed have had a passive radiator (which helps radiate the bass, similar to a ported/vented box). I'm not experienced with Polk much, agree with others a pair of modern bookshelf speakers with a sub would be an improvement (maybe even without the sub)....if something similar in terms of a large woofer as was mentioned maybe Cerwin Vega. I'd suggest listening to a variety of speakers before trying to make a decision if possible.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It’s very unlikely a speaker usually does not die just needs re foamed , new surrounds or adjustments to crossover . It’s cheap to replace drivers that don’t work on parts Express, expensive if you buy ultra high end stuff though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
It’s very unlikely a speaker usually does not die just needs re foamed , new surrounds or adjustments to crossover . It’s cheap to replace drivers that don’t work on parts Express, expensive if you buy ultra high end stuff though .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will probably try the foam, it has happened a few more times, I press the baffle slightly and it goes away, perhaps the missing foam is causing the baffle to vibrate or somehow produce the distortion.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I will probably try the foam, it has happened a few more times, I press the baffle slightly and it goes away, perhaps the missing foam is causing the baffle to vibrate or somehow produce the distortion.
Any pictures? I still cannot get them to upload on here .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis