Are These Finds Good Deals?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Focal Sopra no. 1 with stands for $7k... :oops:

Apparently the stands alone are $2k. I can't think of any good reason to spend that much money on speaker stands. That's just ridiculous.
The bespoke speaker stands for my KEF Reference 1's are also selling for a list price of $2,000US. As much as I love my speakers, I can't justify paying 1/4th of their list price (almost half what I paid for the speakers) to get them.

I can, however, measure a bolt pattern, create a matching 1/2" thick aluminum plate, get 4 M6x35mm socket head cap screws and firmly bolt it all together on a pair of stands that I paid nothing to get. ;)

The stands seem to make the speakers sound grateful. :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Found this on Canuck Audio Mart. It's the 5000 not the 5000X, not sure if it's a good deal or not?

View attachment 50552
Managed to get him down to 550$ for the amp. Still not sure exactly what my plan is as far as a new AVR goes, whether I'm going separates or not, but in any case I want a 13.2 channel set up for the HT system so I will need some kind of external amplification regardless. This seemed like a decent deal. I haven't actually picked it up yet, I'm heading to meet this guy tomorrow after work to do a listening demo at his house.

@Eppie

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Managed to get him down to 550$ for the amp. Still not sure exactly what my plan is as far as a new AVR goes, whether I'm going separates or not, but in any case I want a 13.2 channel set up for the HT system so I will need some kind of external amplification regardless. This seemed like a decent deal. I haven't actually picked it up yet, I'm heading to meet this guy tomorrow after work to do a listening demo at his house.

@Eppie
Yeah, that looks like a good deal. I was tempted myself, if just to have one for future use. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rough day at the thrift store, eh? Those speakers look like they've seen better days, lol.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Rough day at the thrift store, eh? Those speakers look like they've seen better days, lol.
I agree, but with some tlc look like new. Never heard a B&W, but we'll regarded at one point. SACD deck was cool to see. I didn't get anything.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, but with some tlc look like new. Never heard a B&W, but we'll regarded at one point. SACD deck was cool to see. I didn't get anything.
That is a fair point. You and I both have polished up a few gems in the rough that turned out looking really good.
Need to teach those thrift store employees how to pop out dust caps with masking tape.
I know it's not a huge factor for performance but poked in dust caps just kill it for me. Yes, they really should put just a teeny bit of effort into popping that one out! It makes a speaker look so janky.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My brother has had a pair of those B&W DM302 Prism speakers since new. I sent him a new pair of KEF Q300's a couple years ago, he's retired the B&W's.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Depends on the material. Hot glue would pull off the surface of a paper cap but that's a good idea for metal caps.
On a very dented JBL dust cap I had to use a Glue Gun to to pull out the dent. I scrapped off the glue with a sharp knife, and it surprisingly popped off with no damage. I've also used "crazy glue" on a Cue-tip with similar results. It left a bit of a mark, but barely visible. That's why I always tell folks with little Kids, or those who have wild parties, to put the Grills on their speakers.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve also used a vacuum cleaner with a small wand attachment that you can open up the airflow on to reduce the suction on it’s worked on midrange size drivers for me . I’d have glue everywhere never tried that .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Those are all great ideas for removing dents. My youngest was 10 when I purchased my speakers but I still kept the grills on to be safe. The silver tends to be distracting for TV viewing any way.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thrifty looking...Look Mark JBL three way center! Worth getting?
IMG_08102021_093707_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg
IMG_08102021_093720_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg
IMG_08102021_093752_(1238_x_2200_pixel).jpg

IMG_08102021_093823_(1238_x_2200_pixel).jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Think I found it. JBL S-Center. Here is the info on Crutchfield. Part of the Studio Series. Could be 20 years old but looks like it may have been a good center at the time. Any more info Mark?
Here's a link to the manual from JBL.
Here is a write up on the Studio Series from Sound & Vision.

EDIT: S&V article says the center retailed for $300.
I’ve had 3 of these these are really good center channels yea there every bit 20 years old but very good for dialogue. I still use the studio 2 in my garage setup . They were very underrated even now .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis