Are These Finds Good Deals?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, to be fair, not too many speaker companies make their own drivers, but source them from SEAs and the like, often to their own specifications.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
7 feet tall, with 6 drivers should weight a hell of a lot more than 200 pounds. That's a $250 Yung plate amp, and no telling what those drivers are.

No doubt it'll punch the teeth out of your mouth, but I bet the quality of the bass would lag far behind the quantity.
Not to mention it's 3dB downpoint is listed as 25 Hz. I'd want it a hell of a lot lower for that money and that amount of drivers.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, thanks guys for all of the info on PMC. Yeah, I noticed the rise in the high frequencies from 5k to 10k and there's a nasty dip at 180 Hz. This is for the Twenty.24. I found the Canadian NRC measurements and the listening window (one of the more important graphs in my view) does look a mess for a speaker in that price range. Distortion graph could be a bit better too. The Twenty5.24 is the 25 yr anniversary model, but after reading comments on AudioScienceReview those measurements seem to be typical for the Twenty series. They can sound nice at low volumes but the colouration comes out at higher volumes. I guess that's a pass.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The close up of that tweeter looks intriguing.
It does. That's a pretty big folded ribbon tweet and the... is it a waveguide or horn? Both? Anyway it looks cool and like it's definitely doing something...

PS, just noticed the big WARNING sticker on it. Can't make out what it says, but I'm assuming it's a shock hazard.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It does. That's a pretty big folded ribbon tweet and the... is it a waveguide or horn? Both? Anyway it looks cool and like it's definitely doing something...

PS, just noticed the big WARNING sticker on it. Can't make out what it says, but I'm assuming it's a shock hazard.
ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer. Finally found a close up:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ESS AMT-1C speakers for $1500.

View attachment 47127

They were a customer of my dad's (well I was around but more part time back then) back in the early 70s. We were doing some international shipping for them. Had quite a few return shipments I remember, enough to be a $ issue (on return freight costs) for ESS at the time, but don't know the particulars outside of that. I got to listen to a set briefly once, I liked them but the breaking part kinda scared me off at the time. T

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Definitive BP20's...

I've been wanting a pair to compare to my Paradigm Eclipse BP's in the living room... but $580 feels too high. Two poked-in tweeters and the woofer recall wasn't ever done. If he'd take $450 I'd be willing to take a chance, but not almost 600 dollars.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Definitive BP20's...

I've been wanting a pair to compare to my Paradigm Eclipse BP's in the living room... but $580 feels too high. Two poked-in tweeters and the woofer recall wasn't ever done. If he'd take $450 I'd be willing to take a chance, but not almost 600 dollars.
That is old school ... but their bi-polars are not bad ... treat yourself to $50 and offer $400, if the tweeters are really working

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis