Are These Finds Good Deals?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A box I've seen at the thrift store for a long time in the furniture section. Now they moved it to the audio section. Thinking of buying it and throwing in a budget PE 12 inch driver and use amp. As you can see the driver is busted. Thoughts??? It's only 12 bucks.
IMG_05042021_153754_(2000_x_1125_pixel).jpg
IMG_05042021_153825_(2200_x_1238_pixel).jpg
IMG_05042021_153847_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you there now? If you can get at least a rough idea of the cabinet volume and find a woofer that'll work it might be worth 12 bucks... is it well built? Heavy and inert?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thread at Audiokarma.

They seem to think it's okay for a budget sub. They're referencing a review where the reviewer was surprised for what it was. I'll dig around and look for reviews. I'm assuming you're still there? The manual IS available online too, fwiw. You'll definitely need some dsp as well as an amp if you bite so keep that in mind.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Are you there now? If you can get at least a rough idea of the cabinet volume and find a woofer that'll work it might be worth 12 bucks... is it well built? Heavy and inert?
Cabinet I've been reading is great. It's a bit heavy. Just that the crossover is set to 200 according to what Ive read so far. It can be cut into half though. It would be a fun project. Nope I left. I can pick it up later this week. Doubt it will be bought cause of driver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Cabinet I've been reading is great. It's a bit heavy. Just that the crossover is set to 200 according to what Ive read so far. It can be cut into half though. It would be a fun project. Nope I left. I can pick it up later this week. Doubt it will be bought cause of driver.
The crossover you can just yank with the old woofer. Then use digital with the amp.

That said, looks like more work than might be worth, lol. It does fall firmly in the budget sub camp.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The crossover you can just yank with the old woofer. Then use digital with the amp.

That said, looks like more work than might be worth, lol. It does fall firmly in the budget sub camp.
I'm willing to play. I have an 100watt amp. I just need to buy a good driver under $60. Any suggestions? Fun Fun Fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm willing to play. I have an 100watt amp. I just need to buy a good driver under $60. Any suggestions? Fun Fun Fun.
I'm no good to you there. You'll have to hit up one of the diy'ers for some brands. Plus you need to figure out cabinet volume and port tuning so you can find a good match.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm no good to you there. You'll have to hit up one of the diy'ers for some brands. Plus you need to figure out cabinet volume and port tuning so you can find a good match.
This came up when searching Optimus 12. Cheap enough to try and good reviews. I'll hit up PE customer service too and see what they recommend:

They have two different ones 4ohm and 8ohm.

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Got an offer in on some dcm tfe 100s .. We'll see if that works out.. I gotta get them delivered( by the owner) .. That makes it tricky.. They got decent feedback when on closeout...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
A box I've seen at the thrift store for a long time in the furniture section. Now they moved it to the audio section. Thinking of buying it and throwing in a budget PE 12 inch driver and use amp. As you can see the driver is busted. Thoughts??? It's only 12 bucks.
View attachment 46350View attachment 46351View attachment 46352
Ha! I used to have 2 of those, back in the day. I had my Infinity SM-155’s (yeah I’m that guy) on top of them. The SM’s were “A” speakers on the receiver and the “subs” were “B” Speakers. Now that I know better, I would cringe to hear that setup again. Could shake some walls though!

Do they make a refoam kit for that woofer? I bet it still works and just needs foam.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got an offer in on some dcm tfe 100s .. We'll see if that works out.. I gotta get them delivered( by the owner) .. That makes it tricky.. They got decent feedback when on closeout...
I have a pair of DCM TP160S' and I'm really happy with them. I got 'em on closeout and they're really very good for the price. I know the TFEs are a step up from those. @zieglj01 was pretty impressed with them. I would even go so far as to guess they're in the same class of speaker as the SVS Ultras.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ha! I used to have 2 of those, back in the day. I had my Infinity SM-155’s (yeah I’m that guy) on top of them. The SM’s were “A” speakers on the receiver and the “subs” were “B” Speakers. Now that I know better, I would cringe to hear that setup again. Could shake some walls though!

Do they make a refoam kit for that woofer? I bet it still works and just needs foam.
Yeah they do sell the foam kit, but that driver is limited to 200 crossover or is the crossover separate Inside?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah they do sell the foam kit, but that driver is limited to 200 crossover or is the crossover separate Inside?
My guess is its just a low pass filter. You can still use bass management and set a lower crossover.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I have a pair of DCM TP160S' and I'm really happy with them. I got 'em on closeout and they're really very good for the price. I know the TFEs are a step up from those. @zieglj01 was pretty impressed with them. I would even go so far as to guess they're in the same class of speaker as the SVS Ultras.
Let's hope it works out.. Guy wanted $250 .. I offered $200 delivered.. He says he'll try to work it out( he's a ways away) ..I'm sorta thinking these might be in the same league as my b1 mods , and they should offer me some headroom for movies and cranking up the crue...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Do you still have them?
Worth it? Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/130971813875

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Radio Shack being Radio Shack, I’m certain it either has a cheap inline inductor or no low-pass filter at all.

I do remember that it’s a dual voice coil woofer.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That is a weak cabinet and a poor driver in that Optimus sub ... but it can be a toy diy thing ... Sonic barrier from parts express can help some ... but the key is the right woofer for the cabinet volume so you can get at least some decent bass

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Radio Shack being Radio Shack, I’m certain it either has a cheap inline inductor or no low-pass filter at all.

I do remember that it’s a dual voice coil woofer.
I think that there is one fat cap in it to filter the upper bass roll-off ... but it has been awhile, it may be a coil and a cap

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Let's hope it works out.. Guy wanted $250 .. I offered $200 delivered.. He says he'll try to work it out( he's a ways away) ..I'm sorta thinking these might be in the same league as my b1 mods , and they should offer me some headroom for movies and cranking up the crue...
They will be nice, but the radiation patter is a little different ... for some it may take a little time to adjust to them ... they can handle some power

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis