Are These Finds Good Deals?

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Understanding this is an old thread, I picked up a pair of 300 recently. This is an amazing speaker design. Effortless, smooth with the most satisfying low end. I’m powering my pair with Rotel 250 wpc. I’ve a closet full of old JBL, Zu, and RBH.

this is the pair I keep out front for two channel listening. Remarkable.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Understanding this is an old thread, I picked up a pair of 300 recently. This is an amazing speaker design. Effortless, smooth with the most satisfying low end. I’m powering my pair with Rotel 250 wpc. I’ve a closet full of old JBL, Zu, and RBH.

No pics? Come on dude!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Whoa those look so cool and retro. Enjoy. What setup will you use them for? Turntable????

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Whoa those look so cool and retro. Enjoy. What setup will you use them for? Turntable????
I have a Rotel system with a AV preamp and 250wpc x 5 channel. I have all my music ripped lossless format and stored on a cool little device called a Popcorn A-500. It has a high end DAC, or digital out, or 4K hdmi. All of my vinyl was destroyed when taken out of storage. They sagged. Words fail me.

my main theater has a 4K Rotel av preamp with my Nakamichi PA-1. I use all RBH Reference there.

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Rotel system with a AV preamp and 250wpc x 5 channel. I have all my music ripped lossless format and stored on a cool little device called a Popcorn A-500. It has a high end DAC, or digital out, or 4K hdmi. All of my vinyl was destroyed when taken out of storage. They sagged. Words fail me.

my main theater has a 4K Rotel av preamp with my Nakamichi PA-1. I use all RBH Reference there.
Looks great any surrounds?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai

A pair of what "300"? Hafler? I can't replace mine easily, so must do one better and am keeping an eye open for a bargain on a pair of classic KEF Reference speakers.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
A pair of what "300"? Hafler? I can't replace mine easily, so must do one better and am keeping an eye open for a bargain on a pair of classic KEF Reference speakers.
Hafler 300. I would really like to find a nice pair of KEF C-80. Had a pair in rosewood. Never should have sold them. Good luck

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
For the low, low price of $600 plus a refoam kit... you can own a pair of JBL's with Radio Shack Mach Two tweeters!

JBLwutthehell.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For the low, low price of $600 plus a refoam kit... you can own a pair of JBL's with Radio Shack Mach Two tweeters!

View attachment 40729
1. How would you know that the Radio Shack tweeters are a good match to the original JBL ones?
2. How would you be sure that the refoam kit constitutes the exact replacement for the original?

No, personnaIly I don't think this is a good deal as there are several questions that need to be answered.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
1. How would you know that the Radio Shack tweeters are a good match to the original JBL ones?
2. How would you be sure that the refoam kit constitutes the exact replacement for the original?

No, personnaIly I don't think this is a good deal as there are several questions that need to be answered.
I'm pretty sure he was joking (but probably should have used the laugh emoticon)!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure he was joking (but probably should have used the laugh emoticon)!
As you know, there are many newbies who read our posts and don't know much about the rigid physics law that governs the behavior of loudspeaker drivers. I agree that he most likely was joking.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I've never heard of James Loudspeaker company before and I found 4 of these S33 speakers for $400, so $100 apiece. Is this a find worth jumping on? The company seems to be associated with pricey speakers and these look in decent shape.

View attachment 30930
View attachment 30931

*Edit: I updated the title of this thread to reflect what I intend to do with it.
that guy (tries to) sell a lot here locally... most of his stuff is overpriced(you've probably figured this out by now).. those speakers have 3 or 4 in. drivers btw.. guys a c'list "retailer" .. in my experience , that's not a great thing in general...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis