Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I may try them ... they still weigh less than the Sony and Pioneer ... and i am suspect of the tweeter ... they make me think about the Micca MB42X with that woofer in them ... I did not like the Micca
[/QUOTE]
Hooray looking forward to your thoughts Z.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I like Phillips too just something told me not to get them. If they are there next time I pop in I’ll grab them. Doubtful they will be there though.
I've heard that type of tweeter before and while not as good as ribbons (at least in what I listened to) they are nice to listen to, but can be a bit bright.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Saw these at a thrift store I hadn’t been to in a while. I know the brand, but no AC connections or model number on back to look up what they are. The woofers are in good shape just dusty. Bluetooth? Anyone? If worth the while I may go back.
DB5CD18D-47AF-448B-8E08-1ECF122F879E.jpeg
4C37842D-7371-401B-BF74-BC88F1DC57F1.jpeg

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Saw these at a thrift store I hadn’t been to in a while. I know the brand, but no AC connections or model number on back to look up what they are. The woofers are in good shape just dusty. Bluetooth? Anyone? If worth the while I may go back.
View attachment 37869View attachment 37870
They look like these: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TBZjXcKlWfR/p_058AW877/Acoustic-Research-AW877.html

I would imagine without the wireless transmitter (and power cords!) they are pretty worthless?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And check this deal out for Monster cables... look at the price and everything that's included. $60 for the lot. I'm tempted to contact this one!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah but... I have plans at the bunny ranch this weekend!
Awkward confession time! In the mid-late 90s I learned that Playboy Playmate Teri Weigel was working at the Bunny Ranch. At the time, I was single, with no prospects on the horizon and decided, “What the heck?” Once in a lifetime chance to live out an adolescent fantasy! After I sobered up I realized how silly that was...

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I sold my infinity Betas and found my JBLs to be better.... Maybe Not sure how much better Kappas are. from the looks of them, I’d offer 200.

Do you guys have any rules on how many closet (not in use) items you allow yourself? i Struggle past one good backup item for each but have too much fun looking for deals :) I have a Emotiva LPA-1 6X125 AND A Beast in my closet but still want to start collecting outlaw 2200s :) ps I already have 200 wpc amps

common I’m sure I’m not the only one

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Okay, these look interesting. I know Infinity Kappa speakers are generally considered very good, but have never heard them. For $280 tho, might be worth a look? No info outside of "works great". Grilles look pretty beat up tho...

View attachment 37934View attachment 37935View attachment 37936

Kappas are (were?) nice speakers. In a sense, Infinity was Harman's premium speaker like before Revel came along, slotted above JBL. For the (n+1)th time, I deeply regret selling the 9's that I once owned.

Problem with Kappas are refoaming woofers (small issue), and extremely proprietary midrange and tweeters which of course are long discontinued. If those go bad you'll be scouring ebay and playing a seller's market.

I'd have the seller play them at volume to ensure time has been good to them. And then decide if you're willing to keep them maintained if something goes wrong.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Some Bose, Sony(painted badly and sorry dunno the model number), etc. Nothing bought.
AEED7441-8A99-432C-AB9B-11851352ADFB.jpeg
94CB78DF-7416-426E-9841-873BDA671B1D.jpeg
C686CB0C-D427-4C14-BD8E-65DA079520AC.jpeg

FBA0056B-3BBF-43A6-8535-D7120D9C4839.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Kappas are (were?) nice speakers. In a sense, Infinity was Harman's premium speaker like before Revel came along, slotted above JBL. For the (n+1)th time, I deeply regret selling the 9's that I once owned.

Problem with Kappas are refoaming woofers (small issue), and extremely proprietary midrange and tweeters which of course are long discontinued. If those go bad you'll be scouring ebay and playing a seller's market.

I'd have the seller play them at volume to ensure time has been good to them. And then decide if you're willing to keep them maintained if something goes wrong.
That's some great info Kev. Thanks! Was there something special about the tweeters too? Researching these I kept stumbling across folks talking about EMIT tweeters, but from what I gather those are ribbon tweeters?

I do see Kappas pop up every so often on CL, but always juuuust about $75 - $150 more than I wanna spend for the potential headaches. I saw a pair of recently refoamed 9's for around 4 - 500 bucks a li'l while back. In fact it's probably posted in here somewhere.
Some Bose, Sony(painted badly and sorry dunno the model number), etc. Nothing bought.
View attachment 37967View attachment 37968View attachment 37970
View attachment 37969
Every thrift store must use the same combination of mismatched cheapo shelves... that could be the goodwill up the road from me, lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis