Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How about the Kappas?

View attachment 31088

Asking $300 for that pair, which I think is too much, but curious as to whether they're also good speakers. Also... look here what I found for $95/pr. Infinity IL10s.

$95 but I'll bet can get him to come down a little from there.
The Kappa is worth $250 to me .... but your SVS may not want them in the same room

The Interlude are well respected speakers ... if one needs the money, they will come down

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was wondering when/if anything would come of this:
I think you were busy looking for parts for your $15/pair 7T's!:)

I am enjoying this thread!

I can say from a sound quality standpoint avoid any Japanese speakers prior to the '80's
With Sansui just offer 15 or 20 dollars for the box -- and for DIY, turn it into a ported 3-way

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was wondering when/if anything would come of this:

I think you were busy looking for parts for your $15/pair 7T's!:)

I am enjoying this thread!
Your 7T's certainly turned out as an easy fix and you should see a pretty good return on investment when the time comes to sell them!
Also enjoying finding out more about which of the older speakers might have value. After around 1980, I only started listening to speakers for fun about a decade ago. I don't think Zeig ever stopped!

I can say from a sound quality standpoint avoid any Japanese speakers prior to the '80's (I'm sure someone will be along to point out an exception soon enough, but I'm still going with it).
I believe you can still restore and flip them for good money because I know plenty of people who are really into and will brag about their vintage Pioneer/Sansui/Sony/etc speakers! However, for whatever reason, despite totally kicking a$$ in electronics, they just never got speaker design. Those Sansui's look cool with all of the drivers and controls on them, but I'd take a "modest" KLH 6, AR 2ax, EPI 100, Small Advent, or Dynaco A25, over them any day of the week!
I posted the Sansuis for laughs. I don't see me buying any of those.

I'm glad you're having fun with this thread because I'm having fun searching and posting my finds. Not much is sticking to the wall, but if I find even 1 gem dirt cheap it's worth it to me. Plus the opportunity to listen to all kinds of speakers is cool too. There's no shortage of them to check out on Craigslist in the Phoenix metro area.

How about these Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 5C center, two Intimus 4B Satellite surround speakers and Bravia II 10D Subwoofer for $500 (OBO)? I know Aperion make very good speakers but I couldn't tell you if these are entry level or top of the line. $500 is also a lot to spend, but if they can easily be re-sold...

00J0J_dePtxw4P486_600x450.jpg

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I posted the Sansuis for laughs. I don't see me buying any of those.

I'm glad you're having fun with this thread because I'm having fun searching and posting my finds. Not much is sticking to the wall, but if I find even 1 gem dirt cheap it's worth it to me. Plus the opportunity to listen to all kinds of speakers is cool too. There's no shortage of them to check out on Craigslist in the Phoenix metro area.

How about these Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 5C center, two Intimus 4B Satellite surround speakers and Bravia II 10D Subwoofer for $500 (OBO)? I know Aperion make very good speakers but I couldn't tell you if these are entry level or top of the line. $500 is also a lot to spend, but if they can easily be re-sold...

View attachment 31104
Heard the line, wasn’t too impressed. The whole set for $500 might be a deal but don’t expect much. I’d say $300 is a good price.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
6 bucks? Dude, that's in MY price range.

I owned some Aperions and loved 'em. Sold the surrounds for $450 (bipole/dipole).

Good luck getting better sound for 5 hundred.
Duly noted Alex. If I were shopping for a system like that to keep I could see me being happy with them, but I need to be able to resell them to keep the train rolling. I don't plan to keep much. Unless I stumble across something that outperforms my Ultra speakers I plan to keep auditioning and flipping speakers. 5 hundo is too much for me to tie up for that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ugh ... then you better be ready to meet some seedy audio types. :D
You mean like this cat who wants $899 for this Orion/Vokel HT package?

00I0I_h5zZ0RLvfnO_600x450.jpg
00a0a_lfJ47p3s41g_600x450.jpg
00P0P_8nqXhrP0VZu_600x450.jpg
00J0J_7ZN3T3For3L_600x450.jpg

"New Theater System never out of the box. Set for an install, customer changed his mind."

Looks legit...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Pogre, what prompts you to look into these used speakers? Aren't you happy with your SVS speakers? Or are you looking at something for the garage?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre, what prompts you to look into these used speakers? Aren't you happy with your SVS speakers? Or are you looking at something for the garage?
Post #74
I'd like to resell and make a small profit, while getting to audition a bunch of speakers. The reward isn't so much for the money as it is that it's fun looking and I love speakers. I want to create opportunities to audition a wide variety of speakers at home, on my system, more or less free of cost.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK. Well, don't count on making much money off of this endeavor, in fact I think you may end up losing a bit. One problem you may encounter is that you accumulate much more speakers than you have room for. These speakers aren't exactly flying off the shelves. I bet you a bunch of them have seen craigslist and ebay multiple times. On the other hand, it would be a good learning experience. And if you can do some measurements on them, that will allow you to correlate measurements to experienced sound a lot better. The problem is that pulling good, informative measurements on loudspeakers is not easy to do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OK. Well, don't count on making much money off of this endeavor, in fact I think you may end up losing a bit. One problem you may encounter is that you accumulate much more speakers than you have room for. These speakers aren't exactly flying off the shelves. I bet you a bunch of them have seen craigslist and ebay multiple times. On the other hand, it would be a good learning experience. And if you can do some measurements on them, that will allow you to correlate measurements to experienced sound a lot better. The problem is that pulling good, informative measurements on loudspeakers is not easy to do.
Not in it for the money. If I can break even I'm happy. I did learn a lesson or 2 already with the Phase Techs. Source parts first and see how much it's gonna cost to fix before buying. I got lucky this time.

I'm just having some fun. I'm all excited waiting for the parts I ordered and stoked to set them up and check them out. The working one sounds really good and once the socks are on they're gonna look and sound like actual nice speakers. C'mon Shady, not all of us get to audition 50 pairs of speakers every year like you do!

Come to think of it, I could see doing that and writing articles on every one could become a bit of a chore after a while...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Are you saying the Kappas might embarrass the SVS?!
The word on them was really good -- and I expect them to hold their own with the SVS -- I believe they sold for around $1000 a pair and were made in Denmark -- I believe they tend to be listed between $400 and $700 on Ebay

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Surfing Craigslist again and found these Thiele CS 1.5 speakers for $650/pr. Too rich for my blood, but they look nice.

View attachment 31066View attachment 31067

Also, I found these Kef Q30s for $150/pr. I don't know enough about Kef to know if this is a good find, but they look promising.

View attachment 31068View attachment 31069View attachment 31070View attachment 31071
Those Thieles do indeed look nice but seem a pit pricey. The KEFs on the other hand look like quite a bargain.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now these would be nice to set up and check out! 2 Infinity IL10s, 2 IL40 towers with matching center and a 12" Dahlquist powered sub (meh). $650 for the whole set and they look in very good shape. Obviously I'm not buying these, but if I were shopping for a whole system again these would be getting a HARD look from me. Almost makes me wish I was still shopping. Sigh...

*Edit: Those towers could be IL60s...

01414_9Ce25LdpVSA_600x450.jpg
00H0H_3LUEEGP78c8_600x450.jpg
00I0I_lSOfa46pNX4_600x450.jpg
00V0V_fXX6IpTQPJK_600x450.jpg
01313_3gEbSU2uX1u_600x450.jpg
00u0u_W9t79RBT6W_600x450.jpg
00d0d_f9dkWkT9v54_600x450.jpg
00808_4SxzP11aVNS_600x450.jpg
00t0t_9gpe9akqt6_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
^^I wanna find something like that that some little old lady from Pasadena is selling for 100 bucks to get it out of her living room...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You'll like this:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/roswell-infinity-rs-7-kappa-3-way/6958735845.html

Man! I thought, based on the first photo, they were bookshelf speakers sitting on a desktop. It wasn't until I looked at the 2nd or 3rd pic that I realized how big they were. We just are not used to seeing big boxes with big woofers anymore!

Okay, these do not appear to be the same Kappas that you found!
These have ribbons and the ones you posted look like dome tweeters.
Generally you can roughly group all speakers of the same series into the same quality category (with reasonable expectation between BS and towers), but hat leads me to wonder how bad the worst model of Kappa is vs how good the best Kappa is.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis