Are These Finds Good Deals?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
The tear in the replacement woofer I bought is very tiny, so I think I can fix it with very minimal materials. They're rubber surrounds also, so I should be able to make the seam invisible. My thinking is I don't want to use any heavy materials or globs of caulk for the patch that would change the way the speaker moves. If it was foam I'd consider replacing, but again, I'd have to get surrounds with the exact same qualities for it to sound the same wouldn't I?

*Edit: I just realized you meant filling in the nicks and marks on the cabinets! Lol, duh. That's actually not a bad idea at all.
Actually I was referring to the inside of the cabinet. After a while the wood can lift off the glue and expose cracks. I had Klipsch KG4.2 speakers that had begun leaking air (Sealed/Passive Radiator design) so I replaced the foam gasket tape in between the cabinet and woofer itself for a better seal and then sealing the actual cabinet with caulk.

And filler was referring to poly stuff actually :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually I was referring to the inside of the cabinet. After a while the wood can lift off the glue and expose cracks. I had Klipsch KG4.2 speakers that had begun leaking air (Sealed/Passive Radiator design) so I replaced the foam gasket tape in between the cabinet and woofer itself for a better seal and then sealing the actual cabinet with caulk.

And filler was referring to poly stuff actually :)
Yeah, right over my head. Those are all great suggestions. I'm all focused on fixing that surround and have gaskets on the brain... lol. The polyfil in it is different from what I've seen before. Feels kind of like insulation, but it's not fiberglass. There's a lot of it in there. No internal bracing tho.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
There's a lot of it in there. No internal bracing tho.
^

Throw a dowel or two inside. That could be huge. Removing resonances will clean up the sound at a much greater degree than anything I just mentioned :)

You have fun with it though. I’m super jealous.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
^

Throw a dowel or two inside. That could be huge. Removing resonances will clean up the sound at a much greater degree than anything I just mentioned :)

You have fun with it though. I’m super jealous.
The seller just contacted me to let me know he has the cabinets with crossovers in them still too if I wanted to make an offer. He said he won't ship due to size, but he lives in the same area I do...

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
The seller just contacted me to let me know he has the cabinets with crossovers in them still too if I wanted to make an offer. He said he won't ship due to size, but he lives in the same area I do...
So you’ll have two pairs of the towers???

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just surprised I found the exact parts I needed, cheaper, so quick. Then not only that, come to find out the dude lives here in the valley and has a few more parts should I run into crossover trouble. I feel like Lucky McLuckerton, lol

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm just surprised I found the exact parts I needed, cheaper, so quick. Then not only that, come to find out the dude lives here in the valley and has a few more parts should I run into crossover trouble. I feel like Lucky McLuckerton, lol
Well done

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well done
Thanks Zieg. I did put my years of google-jitsu training to good use with this one. I'll post some pics once I get them all put together with the replacement drivers, socks, emblems and the caps (which need repainted/stained) on top.

So $85 I spent for a pair of functioning, good condition Phase Tech towers. Not too bad.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Surfing Craigslist again and found these Thiele CS 1.5 speakers for $650/pr. Too rich for my blood, but they look nice.

00F0F_1jV2erSM9b6_300x300.jpg
00I0I_aZopqoPlnqq_300x300.jpg

Also, I found these Kef Q30s for $150/pr. I don't know enough about Kef to know if this is a good find, but they look promising.

00u0u_9lNYNbt3kRA_300x300.jpg
00T0T_edRVYyZdXki_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_Bz6kN2bLQJ_600x450.jpg
00S0S_1ZkU9VK0r2v_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Klipsch KG4s for $300. These look like some old school big ass Klipsch speakers.

00808_7HmtYgm5Hp1_300x300.jpg

Acoustic Image GT338 $75/pr.

00y0y_4KJeyKNMM1a_300x300.jpg

B&O Beovox C40 Bookshelf Speakers for $40.

00707_iDazuIYCaCz_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Acoustic Image -- No

KEF Q30 -- yes

Klipsch KG series -- a matter of taste or preference -- and price too high

Infinity Interlude if you see it is a good option

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
KEF Q30 -- yes
Those were the ones I guessed held the most promise. I'd start off by offering $100 for them and see if he'd bite.

I'm not gonna start buying a bunch of speakers without some kind of plan. I'd like to resell and make a small profit, while getting to audition a bunch of speakers. The reward isn't so much for the money as it is that it's fun looking and I love speakers. I want to create opportunities to audition a wide variety of speakers at home, on my system, more or less free of cost. That can be tricky because resale with shipping isn't cheap. These 7Ts are going to turn out pretty well I think as a project, but they're big and heavy to ship so I'm probably limited to a local sale. I'm gonna keep them for a bit and listen first tho!

I know you've listened to a ton of different speakers and consider you a seasoned pro so your knowledge, experience and input is appreciated, thanks. I'm gonna slow down for a minute and see if I can get the 7Ts sold and go from there. Then I can buy the next set with the same cash.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Found some more. I'm probably going to be posting a lot of garbage, but it helps me learn what to look for.

Monitor Audio Studio 7As for $295

01313_bDfgYpRfVjQ_600x450.jpg
00r0r_kvKpoLmqchV_600x450.jpg
00P0P_5aW5jNaSVpo_600x450.jpg
00000_2BW1BwEUUNa_600x450.jpg

NHT Super Zeros for $70

00t0t_a7m1EH9FO92_600x450.jpg
00g0g_gHYdBZ21xlS_600x450.jpg

Energy Tower Speakers, no idea what these are, but in a fancy part of town for $150/pr

00h0h_3TLKFEGbvId_600x450.jpg
00C0C_dPZ4rKspgJN_600x450.jpg

Infinity SL30s for $80

00n0n_fL0JqerF2Iq_600x450.jpg
01212_k2MVlNLYCYE_600x450.jpg

Phew! That's after quite a while of searching.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Some Sansui SP-1500 Kabuki Speakers! Lol. No price listed...

00h0h_79AMngOfWKR_600x450.jpg
00J0J_8sF6bA5pFG2_600x450.jpg
00606_7RbJJjIFuUF_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That version of the MA speakers are not one of their better offerings

The SuperZero is a nice decent little speaker ... but not worth over $50

The Infinity is basic entry level ... and not in the same league as the Interlude series

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Infinity is basic entry level ... and not in the same league as the Interlude series
How about the Kappas?

00C0C_jBRRWr8VPTO_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_3DP3dob6nNc_600x450.jpg

Asking $300 for that pair, which I think is too much, but curious as to whether they're also good speakers. Also... look here what I found for $95/pr. Infinity IL10s.

00I0I_kuU4on9Ympk_600x450.jpg
00m0m_gBHDC3G5Q0P_600x450.jpg
00w0w_cBm8Mcen6xM_600x450.jpg
00t0t_8Q7NdPqubip_600x450.jpg
00m0m_L8M0tHjPbq_600x450.jpg
01010_73NvYPsJXBz_600x450.jpg

$95 but I'll bet can get him to come down a little from there.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was wondering when/if anything would come of this:
If you go checking again then look at the Infinity Interlude IL10 bookshelf speakers on your Craiglist
I think you were busy looking for parts for your $15/pair 7T's!:)

I am enjoying this thread!
Your 7T's certainly turned out as an easy fix and you should see a pretty good return on investment when the time comes to sell them!
Also enjoying finding out more about which of the older speakers might have value. After around 1980, I only started listening to speakers for fun about a decade ago. I don't think Zeig ever stopped!

I can say from a sound quality standpoint avoid any Japanese speakers prior to the '80's (I'm sure someone will be along to point out an exception soon enough, but I'm still going with it).
I believe you can still restore and flip them for good money because I know plenty of people who are really into and will brag about their vintage Pioneer/Sansui/Sony/etc speakers! However, for whatever reason, despite totally kicking a$$ in electronics, they just never got speaker design. Those Sansui's look cool with all of the drivers and controls on them, but I'd take a "modest" KLH 6, AR 2ax, EPI 100, Small Advent, or Dynaco A25, over them any day of the week!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis