Are These Finds Good Deals?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh damn. I may have to see about grabbing these.

Stereo Integrity DS4-18 18" subwoofers pair - $400

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Oh damn. I may have to see about grabbing these.

Stereo Integrity DS4-18 18" subwoofers pair - $400
The deal is not that good. Those have a published Qts of 0.50, they have a smaller magnet than the Dayton's UM-18 and are more suited for a sealed box than a ported one, so does the UM-18 with a Qts of 0.56.
For a satisfactory frequency response down to 20 Hz, you have to EQ them and have plenty of power to drive them as well.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The deal is not that good. Those have a published Qts of 0.50, they have a smaller magnet than the Dayton's UM-18 and are more suited for a sealed box than a ported one, so does the UM-18 with a Qts of 0.56.
For a satisfactory frequency response down to 20 Hz, you have to EQ them and have plenty of power to drive them as well.
I wasn't planning to pay the $400 for them. They were $270 when new.

I read folks were having good luck doing marty builds with them. Figure if I can get them for around $150 each they'd do pretty good till I decided to upgrade the driver to something more capable.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're finding some good stuff. Might have to start checking in my area.
I'm tellin' ya, it's addictive! I get an awesome little dopamine hit when I find something cool, lol.

My area seems to be a mecca for used gear. I've never seen fewer than 1200 ads for speakers on Craigslist, even after refining the search. I've seen over 2000 before! Lots of garbage to sort through tho...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about these Advent Prodigy towers for only $70? Advertised "like new". I don't know anything about Advent outside of @lovinthehd used to own a pair and I've seen mostly good about them. $70 even for smaller floorstanders is pretty cheap.

00808_81gUu9mWnm1_600x450.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about these Advent Prodigy towers for only $70? Advertised "like new". I don't know anything about Advent outside of @lovinthehd used to own a pair and I've seen mostly good about them. $70 even for smaller floorstanders is pretty cheap.

View attachment 35872
I only am somewhat familiar with the first generation I had. What model are these? The ones I had are like the ones pictured in this article. https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/most-influential-speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dynaudio Audience 5 books for $350
00303_1tfmrZyShke_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_iaVwBLabAId_600x450.jpg

And this little MA Silver 1 and Silver center 3.0 speaker set for $280! @ryanosaur is this something to get excited about? Can I make a little on those? Cavecreek is out in bfe so he's probably not getting a lot of offers...

00A0A_aM98Zg8Xkwe_600x450.jpg
00f0f_lkcVexwZSw9_600x450.jpg

00k0k_hHAG6hvklQ0_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And this little MA Silver 1 and Silver center 3.0 speaker set for $280! @ryanosaur is this something to get excited about? Can I make a little on those? Cavecreek is out in bfe so he's probably not getting a lot of offers...

View attachment 35878View attachment 35877
View attachment 35876
Um, holy crap. I just looked them up on Amazon. Those books are $1200/pr!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Upon closer inspection something looks off. Those don't look like the right drivers for one.

These are the ones in the ad.
00f0f_lkcVexwZSw9_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_lU4SQ4aUqz0_1200x900.jpg

01717_aX4U8eDvhgl_1200x900.jpg

And these are an image from a review I found.
monitor-audio-silver-1-bookshelf-loudspeaker-image1.jpg

They look like totally different speakers, unless they're an older version? Anyone know what I've got here?

*Edit: Okay, these are much older than I thought they were. I'll bet they sound great, but I'm gonna pass I think.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno enough about the older generations of MA gear to advise... If those were just the previous gen, that seems like it might be a good deal, but if they are older...
...perhaps still solid, but I wouldn't dehydrate myself salivating over the prospect. :)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Those Monitor Audio speakers are several generations old.

They are known as the Silver S series, which preceded the Silver RS series (which preceded the RX series).

Silver Series??? (late 1990s?)
Silver S Series: S1, S2, S6, S8, S10 (early 2000s)
Silver RS Series: RS1, RS6, RS8 (mid 2000s)
Silver RX Series: RX1, RX2, RX6, RX8 (late 2000s)
Silver 5G Series: Silver 1, 2, 6, 8, 10 (early 2010s)
Silver 6G Series: Silver 50, 100, 300, 500 (late 2010s)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ya... I couldn't find an older gen than the RS on their website. Those appear to be 3rd generation... so the ones you are posting about are likely 1st or 2nd.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Edited my post to add more info.

Those S series Silvers were a mixed bag - very nice cabinet build quality for their time & price, but metal woofer had out of band ringing that wasn't sufficiently filtered by crossover, and tweeter was cheap and would sound harsh at anything above modest listening levels.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

View attachment 35872
If those are true old school acoustic suspension speakers, check the foam surrounds for dry rot. My girlfriend's parents had a pair of the bookshelf version, and they appeared to be in great shape. The surrounds looked fine. But I took the grilles off and started playing them, and the foam started breaking apart and falling off right in front of my eyes. They obviously hadn't been played in years, and the woofer movement was all it took to break apart the foam surrounds.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Dynaudio Audience 5 books for $350
View attachment 35873View attachment 35874

View attachment 35878View attachment 35877
View attachment 35876
Pogre,

The Dynaudio audience 5 has pretty good specs and the Danish manufacturer recommends it as a surround speaker. It has a frank impedance of 4 ohms and is easy to drive:

That company makes excellent products.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis