Are These Finds Good Deals?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You referring to the multich inputs? You need that particularly?
No bought it cause It has a lot of power and I’ve owned onkyos and like them. Never had a problem with a fan on them. Plus it was so cheap and good condition . No remote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No bought it cause It has a lot of power and I’ve owned onkyos and like them. Never had a problem with a fan on them. Plus it was so cheap and good condition . No remote.
Still curious what use you have for a sub input. If you're referring to the sub pre-out and bass management, that I can understand as being a good thing, multich inputs not so much altho might come in handy with certain gear combos....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Still curious what use you have for a sub input. If you're referring to the sub pre-out and bass management, that I can understand as being a good thing, multich inputs not so much altho might come in handy with certain gear combos....
It was cool to have since the other Yamaha in the turntable setup didn’t have one. Not that the DCM speakers need more bass it doesn’t suits me fine. Like I said it was so cheap and cool to experiment.:p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These Infinity IL10s for $80 are so tempting! Ad says they can include stands also. I could actually use the stands and depending on what they are, that's almost worth the asking price alone. Those are pretty nice speakers too tho. They're like new. I might contact this one and see if the price includes the stands (no pics of the stands).

01414_h4NaTN4sPf6_600x450.jpg
00l0l_kma72rzItuX_600x450.jpg

00q0q_ij7vnjRdeE4_600x450.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
These Infinity IL10s for $80 are so tempting! Ad says they can include stands also. I could actually use the stands and depending on what they are, that's almost worth the asking price alone. Those are pretty nice speakers too tho. They're like new. I might contact this one and see if the price includes the stands (no pics of the stands).

View attachment 35784View attachment 35783
View attachment 35782
Every time I see these Infinitys, I'm curious just how much DNA they share with the Primus line??
@KEW
@zieglj01
Any thoughts on that?

The drivers look very similar, even the design looks very similar. I could be wrong, but these seem to be held in higher regard than the Primus line? Did the Primus line replace these?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Every time I see these Infinitys, I'm curious just how much DNA they share with the Primus line??
@KEW
@zieglj01
Any thoughts on that?

The drivers look very similar, even the design looks very similar. I could be wrong, but these seem to be held in higher regard than the Primus line? Did the Primus line replace these?
They're well regarded speakers. I can't remember which designer (somebody respected, Harmon himself?) commented that they're among the best in class he'd heard with the IL10 and IL40s being the sweet spot for the model. The IL60 had powered bass sections I believe.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
KEF day!

KEF C85 towers for $300
01616_h1RQWzb70Qm_600x450.jpg
00303_6iKFtpx01aq_600x450.jpg

KEF "Reference"? $500 with stands.
00C0C_8j8kML4lB0N_600x450.jpg
00x0x_ksb9AQZwF9z_600x450.jpg
00101_2dMslSHvgmH_600x450.jpg

KEF Reference 285s for $1900!
00f0f_fk2RyRCq5KP_600x450.jpg
00e0e_lRiE5QLG5H8_600x450.jpg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW
@zieglj01
Any thoughts on that?

I'll have to plead ignorance! I don't know much about Infinity's history.
I would guess they are a higher level than the Primus (pretty safe bet since Primus is their bottom rung...I think).
I know Zieg knows more, so we'll see what he might offer.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I always liked the RDM series, especially with the red cheeks.

That line of Reference (the 285 and so on) always looked a little silly to me, as if KEF was trying to emulate B&W's 800 series - "Nah, we ain't got a tweeter on top - we have a SUPER tweeter!" They did sound great, though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I always liked the RDM series, especially with the red cheeks.

That line of Reference (the 285 and so on) always looked a little silly to me, as if KEF was trying to emulate B&W's 800 series - "Nah, we ain't got a tweeter on top - we have a SUPER tweeter!" They did sound great, though.
Red cheeks?! You mean the cabinets? Which one of those is the RDM series? The big books in the middle? Those definitely caught my eye. They look like they're in pretty good shape. The 285s... yup. Made me think B&W also, but way out of my price range for a Craigslist find. I'll bet they sound pretty damned good tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll have to plead ignorance! I don't know much about Infinity's history.
I would guess they are a higher level than the Primus (pretty safe bet since Primus is their bottom rung...I think).
I know Zieg knows more, so we'll see what he might offer.
When I did some digging in the past I found a few forum posts from previous/current owners.

There's more, but that one stuck out to me. The Interlude series are usually a recommended buy for right price. Under $200 seems to be the sweet spot for the towers and under $100 for the books. The IL10s and IL40s are the favored models. The IL50s and 60s have powered woofers. Some comments suggest they have better drivers than the Primus series and are tonally similar to the Beta series (both Beta and Interlude use the CMMD drivers).

My guess is they're probably on level with the DCM TFE series or something close to it.

*CNET review of the IL10

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
@KEW
@zieglj01
Any thoughts on that?
The Primus is entry level ... the Interlude is a step above, the tweeter in the IL series is closer to the Intermezzo series. The IL10 bookshelf use to list for $400 a pair.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Primus is entry level ... the Interlude is a step above, the tweeter in the IL series is closer to the Intermezzo series. The IL10 bookshelf use to list for $400 a pair.
Zieg what do you think about these IL10s for $80? I do not need them, lol. But... that's a hard price to pass up! Are they anything special at that price?
00q0q_ij7vnjRdeE4_600x450.jpg

00l0l_kma72rzItuX_600x450.jpg
01414_h4NaTN4sPf6_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Zieg what do you think about these IL10s for $80? I do not need them, lol. But... that's a hard price to pass up! Are they anything special at that price?
That is a good price and they look like they have been taken care of ... there are some who may find them a bit bright ... you can always flip them for a profit

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Red cheeks?! You mean the cabinets? Which one of those is the RDM series? The big books in the middle? Those definitely caught my eye. They look like they're in pretty good shape. The 285s... yup. Made me think B&W also, but way out of my price range for a Craigslist find. I'll bet they sound pretty damned good tho.
The KEF Monitor Series RDM2 is the middle set, and the wood panels were referred to as "cheeks" because of their profile. I just thought they looked really cool in red:
1588254026885.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis