Are DACs mostly snake oil?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Aside from the portability, why not just stream it to the Anthem wirelessly?
If you can find the post I wrote in the media server thread that would sum it up a bit better. So Anthem exclusively uses DTS playFi. IMO, DTS playFi is a real pain in the ass with the exception of Spotify and Tidal apps (and a few other apps that playFi has integrated into their app). I'd have to create a media server via my mac. From what I've read, it seems pretty fricken' complicated. It's kink of funny because several years ago, I though wireless ways the way to go. Now NOT AT ALL.

I actually seriously considered getting an integrated amp just for this purpose. But wil the current set up I didn't really need it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can find the post I wrote in the media server thread that would sum it up a bit better. So Anthem exclusively uses DTS playFi. IMO, DTS playFi is a real pain in the ass with the exception of Spotify and Tidal apps (and a few other apps that playFi has integrated into their app). I'd have to create a media server via my mac. From what I've read, it seems pretty fricken' complicated. It's kink of funny because several years ago, I though wireless ways the way to go. Now NOT AT ALL.

I actually seriously considered getting an integrated amp just for this purpose. But wil the current set up I didn't really need it.
Sounds kinda familiar now that you mention it about the DTS PlayFi thing. Have no problems streaming to my Denon/Onkyo avrs in a variety of ways, or to bluray players instead (or using the usb on the players) thru just DLNA standards...or even Airplay but don't use that since I dumped iTunes.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Sounds kinda familiar now that you mention it about the DTS PlayFi thing. Have no problems streaming to my Denon/Onkyo avrs in a variety of ways, or to bluray players instead (or using the usb on the players) thru just DLNA standards...or even Airplay but don't use that since I dumped iTunes.
Ya I remember when I had the old Dennon, streaming was super easy. Glad you haven't had any problems and DLNA is running well. There's only one way to stream on the anthem - PlayFi and can't say I'm a huge fan. If anthem would have put a usb port on the 720 it would have saved me so much time. But when I bought it I was under the impression PlayFi had a lot of flexibility in the software. Not the case for me.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
How would you guys rate schitt DACs? Anyone had any hands on experience?

To compare and contrast the DAC's Modi 2 vs the Bitfrost
Modi 2 - AKM AK4490 - 16/44.1 to 24/96
Bitfrost- AKM Verita® AK4490 - 24/192

You guys think the extra 300 bucks would be worth it for hig-res audio?

Judging from @2channel lover reply:

Great DAC + avg speakers = average sound

Great speakers + avg DAC = good SQ

Great speakers + good DAC = great SQ

Great speakers + great DAC = great SQ

Maybe the extra 300 would NOT be worth it. Your thoughts?
I'm not a big fan of Shiit DACs myself. But if you need a good USB cable for digital audio they sell a 1m for $20, made by Straightwire ... exactly the same as the one Sw sells for $50 (different cosmetics only).

Sold direct from their website only. Look for PYST in the menu to the left. Don't bother with the RCAs and XLRs unless all you need are jumpers ... they're 6" long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis