Are DACs mostly snake oil?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How would you guys rate schitt DACs? Anyone had any hands on experience?

To compare and contrast the DAC's Modi 2 vs the Bitfrost
Modi 2 - AKM AK4490 - 16/44.1 to 24/96
Bitfrost- AKM Verita® AK4490 - 24/192

You guys think the extra 300 bucks would be worth it for hig-res audio?

Judging from @2channel lover reply:

Great DAC + avg speakers = average sound

Great speakers + avg DAC = good SQ

Great speakers + good DAC = great SQ

Great speakers + great DAC = great SQ

Maybe the extra 300 would NOT be worth it. Your thoughts?
If the Modi 2 is limited to 24/96 that's not good, though 24/96 is not the real issue, it is the fact that you can't play 24/192 and above and DSD files. There are better alternative than the Bitfrost in terms of bang for the buck.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
If the Modi 2 is limited to 24/96 that's not good, though 24/96 is not the real issue, it is the fact that you can't play 24/192 and above and DSD files. There are better alternative than the Bitfrost in terms of bang for the buck.
Can you give me a two or three better alternatives in-terms of bang for buck? Preferably not a DIY kit, sorry to be picky.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
How would you guys rate schitt DACs? Anyone had any hands on experience?

To compare and contrast the DAC's Modi 2 vs the Bitfrost
Modi 2 - AKM AK4490 - 16/44.1 to 24/96
Bitfrost- AKM Verita® AK4490 - 24/192
Maybe the extra 300 would NOT be worth it. Your thoughts?
Interesting comparison here from Jan, 2016, but don't know if it would be of any help.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Interesting comparison here from Jan, 2016, but don't know if it would be of any help.

Yep, I've seen. Then I looked I look at your profile picture and was like, yep, makes sense he must like Z- Review. I'm can't stand that dang cat in his videos. But then again, I hate cats.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Yep, I've seen. Then I looked I look at your profile picture and was like, yep, makes sense he must like Z- Review. I'm can't stand that dang cat in his videos. But then again, I hate cats.
LOL, that's the first video of that guy I've ever seen, just thought it was interesting. I don't have a cat now, but I do have a beautiful rescue pitbull, sweet as you could ever want.

I had a cat once, her name was Mavis. One day, I put a 32' sliding ladder up to reach my roof. Looked around and she was right behind me. She jumped onto the roof and walked around like it was nothing, while I was scared to death (a 7/12 pitch). She lived to be 24. But I digress...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ordered today UMC404HD from fleebay for $80 w/free ship. much more channels than I'd ever need, but wanted to ensure it really has real balanced ports. All reviews are stellar and I also own UCA202 which is a terrible headphone amp, but very good dac and I bought for $20.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
What about the stand alone ODAC? Or Mayflower's version of it?

ETA: I own the Mayflower stand alone ODAC and it works fine by my ear.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Thought you still used analog output from your computer?
I do. I bought the other DAC some time back and forgot about it. Found it a couple weeks ago and tried it. I can't really tell any difference. I ordered this IIRC for my older Linux box because it is a 2005 Dell. Doesn't make a difference there either that I can tell. I did not have noise from either PC.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Thought you still used analog output from your computer?
I'm one of those people who ends up somehow exempted from all the computer or audio gremlins. Same with Windows bugs. Never had a problem with any version of Windows unless someone else used my PC.

I have never had a problem with a DAC since they first came out. I found it odd upon my return to audio that there would be an issue now or, that this was somehow an overlooked area ripe for improvement.

I look at Outlaw amps and they are boasting a Burr-Brown DAC and I look up my 13 yr old Denon AVR and it has the same one.

The ODAC I was intrigued by the NWAVguy story figured I might need it someday but like I've said, I believe this was all resolved years ago and this stuff really only applies to those "audio cork sniffers."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm one of those people who ends up somehow exempted from all the computer or audio gremlins. Same with Windows bugs. Never had a problem with any version of Windows unless someone else used my PC.

I have never had a problem with a DAC since they first came out. I found it odd upon my return to audio that there would be an issue now or, that this was somehow an overlooked area ripe for improvement.

I look at Outlaw amps and they are boasting a Burr-Brown DAC and I look up my 13 yr old Denon AVR and it has the same one.

The ODAC I was intrigued by the NWAVguy story figured I might need it someday but like I've said, I believe this was all resolved years ago and this stuff really only applies to those "audio cork sniffers."
I may have suggested that ODAC at one point as a good diy option. Personally never needed an external dac, keep my old 2ch analog...analog. Might not be the same Burr Brown DAC but ya never know....

DACs are full of bullshit for sure.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you give me a two or three better alternatives in-terms of bang for buck? Preferably not a DIY kit, sorry to be picky.
It's too late as you picked one already. The Topping D50 looks good so congrats! I would have picked their fully balanced version but I already have the HA-1 and Sonica. Now you should focus on hunting down those high quality recording HD files. They are there, but not easy to find.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
It's too late as you picked one already. The Topping D50 looks good so congrats! I would have picked their fully balanced version but I already have the HA-1 and Sonica. Now you should focus on hunting down those high quality recording HD files. They are there, but no easy to find.
Oh yes! Since the D50's has the interface, it will be interesting to see what Spotify is really putting out. I pay the the premium, which has supposed "high-res" streaming.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yes! Since the D50's has the interface, it will be interesting to see what Spotify is really putting out. I pay the the premium, which has supposed "high-res" streaming.
Since when does Spotify offer more than 320kbps streaming with the premium service?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Since when does Spotify offer more than 320kbps streaming with the premium service?
My bad, I miss-typed. I meant to say, TIDAL offers the "high-res" audio. When I get this, I'm going to sign-up for the 30 day free trial. I'm interested to see what the playback specs will be for some of my favorite songs. Are they all truly lossless. Your correct, 320kbps is where Spotify maxes out. Also it will be interesting to find out what the exact specs are on some of my flac, aiff, wav files that i have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My bad, I miss-typed. I meant to say, TIDAL offers the "high-res" audio. When I get this, I'm going to sign-up for the 30 day free trial. I'm interested to see what the playback specs will be for some of my favorite songs. Are they all truly lossless. Your correct, 320kbps is where Spotify maxes out. Also it will be interesting to find out what the exact specs are on some of my flac, aiff, wav files that i have.
That makes more sense :) I made almost all my flac files so no mystery there, a very few downloads of good provenance too. Never bothered much with the high res stuff, dropped Tidal before the 30 day trial was up, too. So you're going to plug this dac into your Anthem? Anthem dac isn't sufficient?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
That makes more sense :) I made almost all my flac files so no mystery there, a very few downloads of good provenance too. Never bothered much with the high res stuff, dropped Tidal before the 30 day trial was up, too. So you're going to plug this dac into your Anthem? Anthem dac isn't sufficient?
Anthem's dac is good. However they did not include a usb input on the back. I only have optical in cable inputs on the back of it. So to get my high music from the HD-> through the MacBook-> and into Anthem via the usb cable is not possible. So with this new dac I'll just have to plug in to the rca cables into the back of the anthem. done. Also, I plan on taking it to work. So hey maybe this could be tax deductible :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anthem's dac is good. However they did not include a usb input on the back. I only have optical in cable inputs on the back of it. So to get my high music from the HD-> through the MacBook-> and into Anthem via the usb cable is not possible. So with this new dac I'll just have to plug in to the rca cables into the back of the anthem. done. Also, I plan on taking it to work. So hey maybe this could be tax deductible :rolleyes:
Aside from the portability, why not just stream it to the Anthem wirelessly?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis