Are Blu-ray & DVD Formats Dead?

Are Blu-ray and DVD Formats Dead?

• Yes. Streaming is taking over.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No. People will always want Physical Media too.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Can't we all Coexist and sing Kumbaya?

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I go to the store looking for discount Blu Ray's and UHD's since streaming is supposedly taking over, the pickings are slim these days. Also, they still want $30-$35 for A title UHD disc, which in my opinion, is helping to kill the format.
I go with the flow- Atmos, 4K, 8K, streaming. Just enjoy the time we have. No point wasting our time fighting it. Just enjoy. :D

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
I go to the store looking for discount Blu Ray's and UHD's since streaming is supposedly taking over, the pickings are slim these days. Also, they still want $30-$35 for A title UHD disc, which in my opinion, is helping to kill the format.
I started buying more 4k UHD movies in late March 2020 by using Blu-ray.com. Since then I have purchased over 100 4k UHD titles and most of them under $15. I check the site on a regular basis since a price drop can happen at any moment.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
I buy physical 4K discs whenever I can, for titles that I want of course. Monetarily it makes no sense, but I started buying Steelbooks last year. I try to shop for used ones in mint condition. I cap myself though, I do not spend more than $25 for a UHD item.

4K movies pair great with my TV. The irony, is that I decode / encode so that I can play a digital file over my network and this of course comes at a slight loss of quality. But I still own the discs and books. Plus I like all the bonus material that normally comes with this format.

I sold off most of my bluray collection while they are still worth something and I haven't bought a DVD in years.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
To address the thread title, it of course depends on what one considers 'dead'. Physical media sales, already in decline before, have really plummeted the last 4 years and will continue to decline. So yes, its pretty much dead. There will always be the enthusiasts and the 4K / Bluray will get bought and sold for many more years on the used market. If you really want the best quality, streaming isn't it. Not yet at least.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Once upon a time I used to rent movies, but those outlets have disappeared in my neighbourhood. Streaming satisfies most of the past renting of movies, and I buy some that I pre-like for various specious reasons.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
Yeah, BD, DVD, and all physical discs are dead just like Vinyl has been dead all these years. :D
I'm glad you said that. Does dead have to mean zero? Or just greatly reduced? When Vinyl was 100% of the music market, then it dropped to <1%, some consider that dead. I suppose if 100 people are listening to Vinyl in 90 years, the medium is still alive right? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm glad you said that. Does dead have to mean zero? Or just greatly reduced? When Vinyl was 100% of the music market, then it dropped to <1%, some consider that dead. I suppose if 100 people are listening to Vinyl in 90 years, the medium is still alive right? :)
I think Dead = Zero. So as long as they still make them and as long as people still buy them, regardless of numbers, it is not dead. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
4K disks are for audiophiles. That's my opinion. If you stream a movie and then compare the audio while using a 4K disk on a great home theatre it's HUGE. Even good blu-ray disks sound so much better with the disk than streaming.

However, if you are 90% of America the sound bar or the TV speakers is all you have. In that case, it's harder to comprehend the difference. I just watched Green Lantern 2011 yesterday and the sound was awesome coming from my home theatre setup. You don't get that from a download.

That's why I continue to collect CD and 4K disks while others see little value in them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
4k discs are for audiophiles rather than videophiles?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Nah, I'm still rocking my 1080p old Panasonic plasma but the best sounds nowadays are on 4k discs for marketing reasons,
I have to agree. I have an old 55" 1080p in the basement with my home theatre and a 4K 65" on the main floor with a pair of stereo speakers. I would rather watch a 4K movie with a great sound track on the 1080p since that's where the 9.2 speaker system is. :)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Nah, I'm still rocking my 1080p old Panasonic plasma but the best sounds nowadays are on 4k discs for marketing reasons,
How old is yours? My 50" Panny is 10 years old and still working like a new one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I still buy both formats and probably 4K in the future. Got Get Shorty season one on DVD today at my Dollar Tree.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On the 4k blurays I've bought I haven't noticed anything particularly better with their soundtracks vs older blurays, but I don't have Atmos (and still using plasma 1080p sets, too).

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
To address the thread title, it of course depends on what one considers 'dead'. Physical media sales, already in decline before, have really plummeted the last 4 years and will continue to decline. So yes, its pretty much dead. There will always be the enthusiasts and the 4K / Bluray will get bought and sold for many more years on the used market. If you really want the best quality, streaming isn't it. Not yet at least.
Dead, when it comes to consumer electronics, doesn't mean nonexistent. It means the era of that medium is over, it's not the future, it is now passe'.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dead, when it comes to consumer electronics, doesn't mean nonexistent. It means the era of that medium is over, it's not the future, it is now passe'.
Or just becomes popular with the nostalgia crowd or even hipsters playing to the past! :) I recently joined a surround/quad group and the amount of old quad gear still in use somewhat surprised me....

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
On the 4k blurays I've bought I haven't noticed anything particularly better with their soundtracks vs older blurays, but I don't have Atmos (and still using plasma 1080p sets, too).
Atmos viability relies heavily on the future viability of optical disc, which doesn't look good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos viability relies heavily on the future viability of optical disc, which doesn't look good.
Yeah not sure I'll ever go there (but mainly don't want to mess with the ceilings for speakers/wiring).

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How old is yours? My 50" Panny is 10 years old and still working like a new one.
My 42" Panasonic is 9 years old and works nicely, except that I can hear the TV's fan at night when listening at low levels. Also, I would like to have a bigger TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis