Are Blu-ray & DVD Formats Dead?

Are Blu-ray and DVD Formats Dead?

• Yes. Streaming is taking over.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No. People will always want Physical Media too.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Can't we all Coexist and sing Kumbaya?

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It won't die completely until they shut down the manufacturing plants. Until then, movies will be burnt to disc and we'll be able to buy them. It just may go like it did with CDs. If it dies (CDs aren't dead BTW, just not sold in a lot of locations) we'll be able to buy them, just not EVERYWHERE like we can now.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
For many reasons, I still prefer physical media.
1) streaming services don't always have what I want to watch.
2) streaming services don't always keep titles I like.
3) If/when these streaming services go out of business, what happens to the streaming purchases...do they go bye, bye too.
4) If I drop the cable/streaming services, what happens to my purchases...do they go bye bye. Am I forced to stay with the services to keep my purchases?
5) Audio quality is better on disc.
6) I buy titles that I don't mind watching more than once.
7) The probability of losing items stored on hard disk drives is higher...one can lose all or many of their media at a snap. Like investments, you don't put all your money in one type of investment.

Hell, I've even been purchasing older titles: 4k versions of Jaws, Ghost Busters, Gremlins to name a few (some 4k are better than others). Have to get Scarface now. I also hit the thrift stores; one man's trash is another man's treasure. The same holds true for Albums and CDs.

I will continue to buy physical media in the near future as long as it is available. I will not buy any electronic version of movies until I have no other options.

Note: I hope to find someone willing to sell all of their CDs, BR, DVDs, Albums.

Just One Man's Opinion...

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The bottom line.... 4K movies with amazing sound tracks always beat watching the same title on Amazon or Netflix with a nice audio system. AND they cost about the same as going to the theatre.

Audio CDs for the music I want to own is the best way to have physical high quality media. Streaming from Tidal and Qobuz is convenient and can provide "CD quality". However, there will always be a songs I want to own.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
The bottom line.... 4K movies with amazing sound tracks always beat watching the same title on Amazon or Netflix with a nice audio system. AND they cost about the same as going to the theatre.

Audio CDs for the music I want to own is the best way to have physical high quality media. Streaming from Tidal and Qobuz is convenient and can provide "CD quality". However, there will always be a songs I want to own.
And when those streaming services are 'offline' for maintenance or other technical glitch, what then?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
People's morals are dead. Supporting digital for full price purchased content is absolutely moronic. Both with movies and games. A cheap rental or something like Netflix is acceptable but buying something you have no control over the license for is unforgivable and tells studios just how easy it is bend you over.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I still own a ton of cds and dvds. I might sell some of the dvds but the cds will stay with my lps. For now at least.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Optical disc is dead!! They're killing it. Places like Best Buy, Target and Walmart selection of UHD, Blu Ray and DVD's are extremely thin these days. They're purposely trying to phase out optical disc.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Optical disc is dead!! They're killing it. Places like Best Buy, Target and Walmart selection of UHD, Blu Ray and DVD's are extremely thin these days. They're purposely trying to phase out optical disc.
Of course they are. If they can get us to continue to "buy" movies, but don't have to manufacture discs, why wouldn't they kill physical media? Less effort for the same/more money? Makes perfect sense.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I still own a ton of cds and dvds. I might sell some of the dvds but the cds will stay with my lps. For now at least.
I suppose you can sell unwanted DVD's at a garage sale, some used vinyl record / movie seller might even trade. I was considering Second Spin but they're out of business, can always give them away as gifts. I put some used VHS movies in the dumpster area (not in the dumpster itself) and people snatch them up! LOL

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I suppose you can sell unwanted DVD's at a garage sale, some used vinyl record / movie seller might even trade. I was considering Second Spin but they're out of business, can always give them away as gifts. I put some used VHS movies in the dumpster area (not in the dumpster itself) and people snatch them up! LOL
LOL is right. :) Before I left DFW for Florida I traded in around 20 DVDs for 2 new titles straight up at Movie Trading Company. I don't think there are any here in the Jacksonville area so they sit in the boxes I moved them in.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I don't think the format is dead. I think there are forces at work trying to kill it. I just purchased this

because I've never seen it, and I think bluray is the best way to see it as far as picture and sound. I can't wait until gets here!

Also, I've got a red box about 3 minutes away. I picked up "King of Stanton Island" on bluray last night for $2.17. The Vudu stream would've been over seven bucks! You do the math. I certainly hope it's not a dead format.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, BD, DVD, and all physical discs are dead just like Vinyl has been dead all these years. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I don't think the format is dead. I think there are forces at work trying to kill it. I just purchased this

because I've never seen it, and I think bluray is the best way to see it as far as picture and sound. I can't wait until gets here!

Also, I've got a red box about 3 minutes away. I picked up "King of Stanton Island" on bluray last night for $2.17. The Vudu stream would've been over seven bucks! You do the math. I certainly hope it's not a dead format.
Yeah, forces that you can't possibly contend with. We must face it that optical disc has been marked for death.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. Although I'm waiting for those 8K UHD Blu Rays :confused:
I thought you were going to say you’re waiting for those 8K 8-tracks and 8K cassette tapes. :eek:

But seriously, the more people stream those 4K movies (and later 8K movies), the less they will buy the BluRay discs.

If they start streaming the 4K/8K movies earlier than usual (like 1 month after theatrical release), it may accelerate the death of optical discs.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I thought you were going to say you’re waiting for those 8K 8-tracks and 8K cassette tapes. :eek:

But seriously, the more people stream those 4K movies (and later 8K movies), the less they will buy the BluRay discs.

If they start streaming the 4K/8K movies earlier than usual (like 1 month after theatrical release), it may accelerate the death of optical discs.
I go to the store looking for discount Blu Ray's and UHD's since streaming is supposedly taking over, the pickings are slim these days. Also, they still want $30-$35 for A title UHD disc, which in my opinion, is helping to kill the format.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis