Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
The Soundstage measurements are for the bookshelf, the sensitivity rating is much lower. I believe Soundstage measures with the grille off.

For HT, the related text says they measure with the grilles off, and at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input.
Heh, you beat me to it.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The Soundstage measurements are for the bookshelf, the sensitivity rating is much lower. I believe Soundstage measures with the grille off.

For HT, the related text says they measure with the grilles off, and at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input.
It looks to me the only FR plots on the VGT's are from Aperion using Praxis, HT, and of course AH, and that is it, correct?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
My post is comparing the Soundstage vs HT Mag measurements of the Verus Grand Bookshelf.... nothing to do with the towers... which is why I specified looking at the red curve.

Soundstage measures in the NRC's anechoic chamber with grills off at 2m, then plots at 1m. HT Mag measures are quasi-anechoic with grills on at 1m. Both measure with 2.83V input.
I certainly am NOT taking the grills off every time I fire them up, I might wear out the Magnets, plus I don't want all the neighbors Dust getting into the driver cones. :eek::D

Do you all clean the dust off your Drivers, if so how?

How about Compressed Air at 1 Mega PSI (1 x 10^6) -- will that be enough pressure producing a force large enough to eliminate all the fly wings/fecies and dust off the cones of the drivers? :eek:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Aperion Verus Grand Towers

I guess I am just EXCITED to see them in Cherry, as I have way to much Black here already!!

Maybe put up some Cherry Frame pictures above them, with some musical instruments within the frames, like some DW drumset, Sax, Trumpet, Bongos/Congos, Violin, and certainly a Piano!!

I sure like the curvilinear tops and sides, like the Paradigm Signature Series. I wondered where they got that idea from?

Now, guaranteed they will only stay here if they sound as good as they LOOK. :)

Looks like the ASR Tweeter is right at the Sweet Spot, being about 35" above ground -- sounds perfect in height.

Also, look at those nice Aluminum Phase plugs in the mid drivers, and dust caps on the woofs (I put that in for cschang).

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Seriously, how does one clean their Driver cones of Dust, and fly crapola, etc.?

The magnetic field of the driver motors sure love to collect airborne junk. :mad:

C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
Why would anyone design a speaker cabinet with a protruding edge. The edge diffraction issues it brings to bear, should never have been contemplated. It is just one simple thing to get right.

Why Audioholics never brings this up in the review is objectionable. After all the years that AH has pointed out that all good speakers have cabinets that eliminate edge diffraction. It is just simple common sense. In the article on legitimate hi-fidelity speakers, smooth speaker faces and rounded edges are pointed out as necessary. Perhaps, aesthetics with the grill off was more important than the engineering of the speaker.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Why would anyone design a speaker cabinet with a protruding edge. The edge diffraction issues it brings to bear, should never have been contemplated. It is just one simple thing to get right.

Why Audioholics never brings this up in the review is objectionable. After all the years that AH has pointed out that all good speakers have cabinets that eliminate edge diffraction. It is just simple common sense. In the article on legitimate hi-fidelity speakers, smooth speaker faces and rounded edges are pointed out as necessary. Perhaps, aesthetics with the grill off was more important than the engineering of the speaker.
I think you are overstating the potential issues. I don't see any major protruding edge. I know they didn't exactly use a 4" round on the edges, but that would have added significant cost to the project.

C

Calvin Hobbes

Audioholic Intern
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I vaguely noticed that edge in a picture, but couldn't find (didn't bother to find) a better picture.

It certainly is not good for audio performance.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
The amount of protruding edge is pretty small, since the grill is "inset" into the baffle.

Still - you're right, there is a protruding edge there.

J

justinto

Audiophyte
Early in the year, I replaced a small satellite Klipsch system with the Aperion Grand Towers, Center, and bookshelves in my bedroom (cheaper than a wife), along with an Emotiva 10" sub, the system powered by a Pioneer vsx-1020. It sounded so good and better than the large Klipsch system I had in the living room, that I bought an additional Aperion Grand Tower system, a HSU ULS-15 sub and a Marantz SR6006 to power them.

I am quite happy with the results. Though the Klipsch system was louder due to their efficiency, the Aperions blow them away with clarity expecially in the mid range. The lower end did not matter because of the HSU 15" sub which sounds great. The HSU sub replaced an old M&K 2 12" sub (125 watts).

Justin

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Wouldn't the anomalies & adverse effects show up on the measurements on Audioholics and HTM?
They can absolutely be measured, you have the have the equipment to do so. You can even measure the effects of screws that are not flush mounted.

That said, it would be interesting to see measurements on the same exact speaker, with and without the edge.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Early in the year, I replaced a small satellite Klipsch system with the Aperion Grand Towers, Center, and bookshelves in my bedroom (cheaper than a wife), along with an Emotiva 10" sub, the system powered by a Pioneer vsx-1020. It sounded so good and better than the large Klipsch system I had in the living room, that I bought an additional Aperion Grand Tower system, a HSU ULS-15 sub and a Marantz SR6006 to power them.

I am quite happy with the results. Though the Klipsch system was louder due to their efficiency, the Aperions blow them away with clarity expecially in the mid range. The lower end did not matter because of the HSU 15" sub which sounds great. The HSU sub replaced an old M&K 2 12" sub (125 watts).

Justin
Justin, WOW... that says a lot. No doubt the Klipsch RF-82II's that I have are at 98dB/1w/1m, and I am sure they will be louder, but I am missing the Mid-Range, and have grown very tired of the Klipsch Horn Shrills, therefore moving toward the VGT's.

You sound like another Happy Camper with the VGT's, as so many other out there.

In fact, you were so Happy you ended up buying two of them, WOW... that is good news.

Cheers,
Dennis

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
One thing about being an Audiophile are any of us ever Happy?
It is a good question - if we really were, maybe we would be spending
less time on the forums. To me, audiophile more or less means - I am
aiming for the next product that I want, and cannot afford. However,
if we can find that golden nugget, at a good price - maybe we can slow
the audioholic disease down.:rolleyes:

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
It is a good question - if we really were, maybe we would be spending
less time on the forums. To me, audiophile more or less means - I am
aiming for the next product that I want, and cannot afford. However,
if we can find that golden nugget, at a good price - maybe we can slow
the audioholic disease down.:rolleyes:
I think that is a pretty good answer. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis