Anyone own the Macintosh MC152?

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
Looking for people who own this amp to get their opinion of it. Would it be a good fit for my Focal Aria 926's?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More information would likely help. A particular amp with particular speakers without particular use is not worth much. Now how many here own that particular amp and use those particular speakers .... good luck. It really doesn't matter about the particular combination in many respects otoh.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
What information? I am curious what owners of the amp like and don't like about the amp

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looking for people who own this amp to get their opinion of it. Would it be a good fit for my Focal Aria 926's?
Are there any official reviews of the amp anywhere? Or is there a Macintosh forum where you can ask owners directly? Just in case no one here owns that amp those might be good backup options to hopefully get owners feedback

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Bear in mind that amplifiers have super flat frequency responses (+0, -0.25dB 20-20kHz for the MC152) so amplifiers do not have a sound signature and other 150W amps will sound the same. What is nice about the MC152 is that it is rated down to 2 ohms and has balanced inputs. The Aria 926 has a minimum impedance of 2.9 ohms so having an amp that can handle lower impedances is a plus if you plan to listen at high SPL. Also, the 926 has a fairly high sensitivity at 91.5dB and should not require a lot of power, so the 150W/ch of the MC152 should be plenty for those speakers. You pay a big premium for the Macintosh name and looks though. There are other amps that will perform just as well for a lot less money, but if you are after that Macintosh signature look, I doubt that you will find any bad reviews for that amp.

Some comments on Stereophile.
More comments on AudioAficionado.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
You really can't go wrong with Macs. If you don't like it they hold their value like no other.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis