Denon X4700H as a preamp

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
My denon X4700H AVR started malfunctioning on surround mode. The sound is skipping from left and right speakers to center and back to L and R. I am sanding it to Denon repair facility to get fixed under factory warranty. After I have it fixed I'm planning to use it as a preamp, and get Arcam PA410 to drive my Focal Aria 926 speakers. Any suggestions? Will it be a good combination?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My denon X4700H AVR started malfunctioning on surround mode. The sound is skipping from left and right speakers to center and back to L and R. I am sanding it to Denon repair facility to get fixed under factory warranty. After I have it fixed I'm planning to use it as a preamp, and get Arcam PA410 to drive my Focal Aria 926 speakers. Any suggestions? Will it be a good combination?
There is no reason you can't do that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I take it you've already done soft reset and a full factory/microprocessor reset?

You're giving up some power vs the avr with that amp, tho. I'd get a more powerful amp....

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I did both with Denon representative on a phone with me. That is exactly my concern. Will this power amp have enough power to drive my speakers, eventhough I only have three channels left, center and right.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, I did both with Denon representative on a phone with me. That is exactly my concern. Will this power amp have enough power to drive my speakers, eventhough I only have three channels left, center and right.
I did not realize it was such a puny amp. No that amp is not powerful enough. You need a "bigger boat". You need the PA 240 if you want Arcam.

highfigh

highfigh

So, they had you connect the pre-amp outputs to a different amplifier, to find out if the sound cutting out was in the preamp or power amp?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the source device in use here? How is it connected to the receiver? What is the speaker configuration? Amp assign? Are the Mains set as “Large” speakers with a Subwoofer setting of LFE+Main? Are they also set that way for the separate 2CH Playback setting?

There are several “Surround” modes. Does the problem persist with all of them? Is there a problem at any volume level? As is often the case, too little information is given in the initial post. Was an external amp connected to each pre out to test as @highfigh asked to rule out internal amps as the source of the problem?

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
No, they didn't, we did a soft reset at first, and I ran a sound test, after I played some video, and it started doing the same "jumping", then we did the factory reset, went through the same process, and it was no fix.

As PA240, it is only 2 chennal amp, how will I be running my center channel? Unless I keep center hooked up to Denon and L and R to the Arcam, if it's possible.

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
The problem persist on all surround modes. It only doesn't happen in stereo, however, a few times I don't have any sound in stereo. My guess would be, becaus of the avr played soun through center speaker.

highfigh

highfigh

The problem persist on all surround modes. It only doesn't happen in stereo, however, a few times I don't have any sound in stereo. My guess would be, becaus of the avr played soun through center speaker.
Analog source, or digital (HDMI, optical/digital coax)? Does it do this if you use the tuner?

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
When it switches I hear a low static click mostly in left speaker. If subwoofers are on, these clips are going through the subs as well.

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
I don't use tuner. All the video goes through HDMI, audio... rca

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If your AVR is getting repaired, you don't need any kind of extra amp to drive those speakers. Those speakers are very sensitive, it does not take that much to drive them. Those speakers should pair well with an AVR like the 4700. In my opinion, you would be blowing money by adding an external amp.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If your AVR is getting repaired, you don't need any kind of extra amp to drive those speakers. Those speakers are very sensitive, it does not take that much to drive them. Those speakers should pair well with an AVR like the 4700. In my opinion, you would be blowing money by adding an external amp.
I disagree and strongly. Unfortunately there are no measurements on those speakers. However as usual speaker manufacturers tend to obfuscate. When I see a tower speaker with a bunch of drivers, and a specification of nominal impedance 8 ohms, and then it says minimum impedance 2.9 ohms, I cry foul. That speaker more likely than not is a receiver buster with that spec.

Actually as a designer, a minimum impedance that low is a massive red flag that things are not right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, they didn't, we did a soft reset at first, and I ran a sound test, after I played some video, and it started doing the same "jumping", then we did the factory reset, went through the same process, and it was no fix.

As PA240, it is only 2 chennal amp, how will I be running my center channel? Unless I keep center hooked up to Denon and L and R to the Arcam, if it's possible.
Just checking since you didn't include that information in your original post. That's about all you can do except send it in. Curious, new or refurbed unit? I haven't had any issues with my 4700. As to the amp, personally I'd not even use Arcam, better values out there. Are you in the US?

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
These are my devices; Blu-ray player - HFMI, Cable box - HDMI, Amazon firestick - HDMI, CD player - RCA, Turntable RCA.

G

Genchic

Junior Audioholic
Just checking since you didn't include that information in your original post. That's about all you can do except send it in. Curious, new or refurbed unit? I haven't had any issues with my 4700. As to the amp, personally I'd not even use Arcam, better values out there. Are you in the US?
I bought it new. Yes, I am in the US.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis