M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This article about the benefits of high intensity interval training (particularly for older adults) may be of interest.
Here are the training regimens used in the study:

>>>Following baseline measurements, the participants were randomized to three groups (HIIT, RT, or CT) . . . HIIT was 3 days per week of cycling (434 min at >90% of peak oxygen consumption [VO2 peak] with 3 min pedaling at no load) and 2 days per week of treadmill walking (45 min at 70% of VO2 peak). RT consisted of lower and upper body exercises (4 sets of 8–12 repetitions) 2 days each per week. CT participants first underwent a 12-week sedentary period (SED) and wore accelerometers to record any structured activity. Following SED, participants underwent metabolic studies and began CT of 5 days per week cycling (30 min at 70% VO2 peak) and 4 days per week weight lifting with fewer repetitions than RT.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here are a couple mini reviews of winter running shoes on the off chance anyone is interested.

I tried a new pair of Salomon S/LAB Speed 2 shoes today trail running in snow. The trail is uneven dirt, but covered with snow. These shoes are very stable and low to the ground. They are also very light. I wanted to like them but the tread is just not aggressive enough for snow. I never slid enough to lose my balance, but the shoes slid quite a bit, especially running up hills. They'd probably be good (and fast) for most dirt/gravel trails, but probably not great for mud. My old Salomon trail running shoes with Kahtoola micro spikes are heavier but better for ice and snow.

Medium width running shoes normally fit well for me but the S/LABS were a little too narrow. Salomons have been hit or miss for me over the years. Some fit exactly as expected, but some seem to run very narrow. I was determined to make the SLABs fit so I put a stretcher in them and hit them with a heat gun (the stretcher was ineffective without heat because they just shrank back to their original size). This widened them quite a bit but I'm not sure if it will adversely impact the life of the shoes. Somewhat surprisingly, the shoes seem to shrink back quite a bit if the pressure on the stretcher is released while the material is still hot.

I also bought a pair of Icebug NewRun BUGrip GTX road running shoes with carbide studs. These appear to be very well made shoes and they fit well right out of the box. Sizing is very similar to the Mizuno, Nike, Asics, and Adidas running shoes I've bought in the past few years (10 mediums in these brands have always fit quite well). The Icebugs appear to have enough cushion for putting in fairly serious miles. I tried them on paved trails with some ice and bare pavement. These shoes are good on relatively smooth ice, and they're okay on bare pavement. However, I suspect the studs would wear out quite quickly on pavement. The studs are not long enough for uneven or loose surfaces. They are not really stable enough for trails with uneven surfaces. Basically nice shoes, but only good for specific conditions (relatively smooth ice).

I have yet to find the perfect winter running shoe. I suspect it does not exist because there are just too many different conditions for one shoe.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have a WaterRower Club. Love it.

You run and row on the same day? I ain't got time for that.
I take it your WaterRower Club is basically the same as this one?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to rowing machines, but I'm thinking about getting one to provide a change of pace for me and so my son so can train for crew.

Edit: Part of the reason I ask is because I've also looked at the Ergatta rower which seems to get good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $1K or so for someone like me who is not a serious rower.

I'll concede that I'm heavily influenced by the appearance of the wood rowers (I like it).

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I take it your WaterRower Club is basically the same as this one?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to rowing machines, but I'm thinking about getting one to provide a change of pace for me and so my son so can train for crew.

Edit: Part of the reason I ask is because I've also looked at the Ergatta rower which seems to get good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $1K or so for someone like me who is not a serious rower.

I'll concede that I'm heavily influenced by the appearance of the wood rowers (I like it).
Yes, that's the one. I've had it for 4 years now, with no problems. I had never heard of Ergatta until you mentioned it. When I did a search, I found out why - they only started in 2020. When I looked at photos, I thought, "Hmmm, the mechanical bits look like Waterrower's". Then I read why - they're made by Waterrower. It's just the display that's made by Ergatta. I watch my HT while I'm rowing, so if was me, I wouldn't spend the extra coin for a display. But if that would appeal to you and/or your son, I'd say go for it.

I like the Waterrower for two things that separate them from other rowing machines: 1) they're much quieter than fan machines. 2) They take up very little floor space when you stand them on end.

And, for sure, they're more aesthetically appealing than most other rowers.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, that's the one. I've had it for 4 years now, with no problems. I had never heard of Ergatta until you mentioned it. When I did a search, I found out why - they only started in 2020. When I looked at photos, I thought, "Hmmm, the mechanical bits look like Waterrower's". Then I read why - they're made by Waterrower. It's just the display that's made by Ergatta. I watch my HT while I'm rowing, so if was me, I wouldn't spend the extra coin for a display. But if that would appeal to you and/or your son, I'd say go for it.

I like the Waterrower for two things that separate them from other rowing machines: 1) they're much quieter than fan machines. 2) They take up very little floor space when you stand them on end.

And, for sure, they're more aesthetically appealing than most other rowers.
Thanks! I just ordered a Waterrower.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Did it arrive yet?
Yeah, I've been using it. It's a nice unit and it provides a nice change of pace to the stationary bike.

I'll concede, however, that I tend to get bored rather easily with all forms of indoor stationary exercise (I can't blame that on the machine). For whatever reason, it's a mental challenge to maintain a fairly high level of exertion on a stationary machine for 20-30 minutes, whereas it's not much of a problem running or biking outside for the same period of time.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I've been using it. It's a nice unit and it provides a nice change of pace to the stationary bike.

I'll concede, however, that I tend to get bored rather easily with all forms of indoor stationary exercise (I can't blame that on the machine). For whatever reason, it's a mental challenge to maintain a fairly high level of exertion on a stationary machine for 20-30 minutes, whereas it's not much of a problem running or biking outside for the same period of time.
I completely agree. But, my rower and treadmill are set up in front of my HT screen (102"), behind the coach. My rec room layout allows for such a setup, but I doubt that many people could accommodate such an arrangement. Being able to watch programs makes maintaining a pace easier. I don't know if I could do it while staring at the wall.

A little anecdote:

A couple of years ago, I watched this documentary on motorcycle racer, Joey Dunlop, while running on the treadmill.
Road (2014) - IMDb
Some of the footage was shot from behind the handlebars during races. I don't how familiar you are with motorbikes, but when racing, they lean waaaay over in the turns. During such sequences, I found myself leaning with the bike while running - almost fell off the treadmill a couple of times. :eek: :D

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I realize this is an old thread, but this article about running shoes by the NYT appears to be pretty decent (I'll admit that my positive view of the article may be due to confirmation bias because the article seems to be generally consistent with my own views).

Using different shoes on different days (e.g. with different drops) seems to maybe, possibly, make a slight difference for me in terms of avoiding injury.

>>>Stability and motion control shoes, for instance, are popular among runners and are said to prevent injury by correcting for over-pronation — when your ankle collapses too far inward as you walk or run. Some models have rigid posts that reduce side-to-side motion, though many newer releases use subtler systems, such as making the shoe wider on the bottom than the top, Dr. Klein said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/02/books/sarah-bakewell-humanly-possible.html?action=click&algo=identity&block=editors_picks_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=285970977&impression_id=1cd85040-d26d-11ed-a6da-431071ec3b5e&index=0&pgtype=Article&pool=editors-picks-ls®ion=ccolumn&req_id=370235227&surface=home-featured&variant=0_identity
But current evidence doesn’t bear out their protective benefits. Pronation itself is a natural part of your running gait. “That’s how your body dissipates force,” Dr. Vincent said. Overcorrecting it may cause knee and hip pain, and prevent you from properly using and strengthening muscles in your foot and leg. . . .

Ultimately, the idea that any running shoe can prevent you from getting hurt doesn’t hold water. Rates of running-related injuries, such as shin splints and stress fractures, have remained high over the past 40 years — despite evolving shoe technology. And a Cochrane Review published in 2022 assessed 11,240 runners across 12 randomized controlled trials, most of which compared different types of running shoes to each other. The analysis found no evidence that running shoes, or prescribing certain shoes by type, have injury-preventing properties. . . .

There’s also some evidence that cycling through more than one model — whether it’s in a different category, or a similar style in different brands — reduces injury risk, perhaps because it slightly varies the repetitive stresses on your body. <<<

PatrickBlossom

PatrickBlossom

Audiophyte
When it comes to earbuds, it's important to look for ones that are comfortable, have good sound quality, and are sweat-resistant. Both the Backbeat Fit and AirPods Pro are popular choices for runners, so it's really a matter of personal preference. Some other popular options for running earbuds include the Jaybird Vista, Jabra Elite Active 75t, and Bose Sport Earbuds.

When it comes to shoes, it's important to find ones that fit well and provide the right level of support for your feet. The New Balance 880 v9 is a good shoe, but if you're only getting 150 miles out of them, it might be worth trying out different brands or models to see if you can find something that lasts longer. The drop of a shoe, or the difference in height between the heel and the toe, can influence how you land, but it's not the only factor. It's important to find shoes that work well for your individual foot mechanics and running style.

There are many online forums and communities for runners, such as r/running on Reddit, where you can find advice and connect with other runners. Additionally, many local running stores offer group runs and training programs, which can be a great way to connect with other runners in your area and get personalized advice from experts.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I remember decades ago, one of the running magazines would do serious measurements of running shoes. Things like flexibility and shock absorption. But now they are a lot like some hi-fi magazines.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There’s also some evidence that cycling through more than one model — whether it’s in a different category, or a similar style in different brands — reduces injury risk, perhaps because it slightly varies the repetitive stresses on your body. <<<

That makes intuitive sense to me. It's why I like trail running (although I don't get as much trail time as I would like). An undulating surface also varies the repetitive stresses on the body.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis