Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
It's the new runners that get confused by the charts!
Go to any running forum and there are countless threads from new runners about their monitor readings not matching the chart for their age.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's the new runners that get confused by the charts!
Go to any running forum and there are countless threads from new runners about their monitor readings not matching the chart for their age.
I don't participate in any runner's forum, so I don't see those complaints. I never had a problem understanding mine.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Has anyone here tried low heart rate training? (i.e. the Phil Maffetone approach). When I run slow enough to keep my heart right down in the target low range, I have the perception that the intensity is too low to do much of anything. However, there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that it can be effective (i.e. my perception is probably not accurate).

One positive aspect is that I do not feel as fatigued after running the same distance at a slower pace. This should permit a higher volume of training, but I have to admit I don't really want to devote a lot of time to running.

Here's an example of an article on the subject: https://www.runandbecome.com/running-training-advice/low-heart-rate-training

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone here tried low heart rate training? (i.e. the Phil Maffetone approach). When I run slow enough to keep my heart right down in the target low range, I have the perception that the intensity is too low to do much of anything. However, there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that it can be effective (i.e. my perception is probably not accurate).

One positive aspect is that I do not feel as fatigued after running the same distance at a slower pace. This should permit a higher volume of training, but I have to admit I don't really want to devote a lot of time to running.

Here's an example of an article on the subject: https://www.runandbecome.com/running-training-advice/low-heart-rate-training
While getting some aqua therapy from a Tai Chi guy I call Feng Shui Steve, I had something he called 'maximizing the minimum' explained and it sounds like it has a lot in common with your article. I applied the approach to stretching for the purpose of regaining range of motion as well as learning how to walk right after a knee replacement.

The guy liked using the word 'relax' a lot. The slower pace, especially in a pool, allowed me to work on building up muscles that get used while walking with a certain technique. On land that translated to at least having had the practice of doing it right in water: skill development.

With the stretching it was to stretch until you start feeling it, not until you can't go any more. It's like pushing your base line up. It eventually does push the upper limit but the upper limit is never the objective. The whole approach is completely counter intuitive. If I did run, this would be how, not barefoot and backwards like GO-NAD!. :p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

There's plenty of data out there supporting long, slow, runs as a way of improving your conditioning and actually helping you run faster.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations! I can identify with the struggle with plantar fasciitis...
youare in fact a runner, I am a jogger but getting better. Thanks for your input.
I'd be putting in more distance, except that I've been alternating between running and my rowing machine. I'm thinking of reducing the rowing and increasing my running to about 50k/week.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
There's plenty of data out there supporting long, slow, runs as a way of improving your conditioning and actually helping you run faster.
I have been using the go slow approach and it has improved my endurance and I can see my pace quickening. It is good to have some science behind it.
I have bradycardia, resting heart rate in the mid 40 bpm range, routinely falling into the high 30’s throughout the day and night. I don’t know if it is wise for me to train my heart to be more efficient.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I'd be putting in more distance, except that I've been alternating between running and my rowing machine. I'm thinking of reducing the rowing and increasing my running to about 50k/week.
I purchased a Concept rower about 6 weeks ago. Great purchase! Amazed at how the the rower helps my running endurance and is tapering my body quite nicely. I minimally row 5,000 meters a day. If I don’t run I do 10,000 meters a day.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have been using the go slow approach and it has improved my endurance and I can see my pace quickening. It is good to have some science behind it.
I have bradycardia, resting heart rate in the mid 40 bpm range, routinely falling into the high 30’s throughout the day and night. I don’t know if it is wise for me to train my heart to be more efficient.
My RHR is in the 47-50 BPM range, but that came from exercise. I had to look up bradycardia, as I had no idea what it was. Maybe your doctor could tell you if - in your case - improving your conditioning might lower your heart rate and if that would be a bad thing.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I purchased a Concept rower about 6 weeks ago. Great purchase! Amazed at how the the rower helps my running endurance and is tapering my body quite nicely. I minimally row 5,000 meters a day. If I don’t run I do 10,000 meters a day.
I have a WaterRower Club. Love it.

You run and row on the same day? I ain't got time for that.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
If you don't mind my asking, have you been diagnosed with bradycardia? According to my Apple Watch my RHR is 40, but I don't think that's unusual.

However, an 81 year old with an RHR of 26 IS unusual:

>>>Super-fit Daniel Green, 81, could not believe it when medics said his heart rate had dropped to just 26 beats per minute - lower than Sir Bradley Wiggins and Mo Farah at rest, 35bpm and 33bpm respectively.

Mr Green was having a check-up when doctors said his resting rate was 36bpm but dropped to 26 - lower than the world record.<<<

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
If you don't mind my asking, have you been diagnosed with bradycardia? According to my Apple Watch my RHR is 40, but I don't think that's unusual.

However, an 81 year old with an RHR of 26 IS unusual:

>>>Super-fit Daniel Green, 81, could not believe it when medics said his heart rate had dropped to just 26 beats per minute - lower than Sir Bradley Wiggins and Mo Farah at rest, 35bpm and 33bpm respectively.

Mr Green was having a check-up when doctors said his resting rate was 36bpm but dropped to 26 - lower than the world record.<<<

Yea, i was hospitalized for a few day’s earlier this year. I historically have a low resting heart rate, but while in the hospital my heart rate routinely dropped to 33-35 bpm. They outfitted me with a monitor that I wore at home for a week. Ran every test they could think of, they told me bradycardia, at 59 years of age with a documented history of low heart rate, they said eventually I would probably need a pacemaker eventually...
I recently purchased an Apple Watch 6. I slept in it a few nights but had to stop because I was being awakened 3-4 times a night because my heart rate fell below 40 bpm for ten minutes at a time.

C

CoolHandDuke

Junior Audioholic
I'm a casual runner. Somewhere between 12-30 miles/week depending on my base. I switched to minimalist at the beginning of the year. I was in really cushy shoes and orthotics for awhile trying to fix some tendon issues I have in my right foot and ankle. By no means has minimalist gotten rid of the issue, but I feel stronger, and I feel like I have to be much more conscious about the force I'm landing with, which lowers overall impact. I will typically do most my miles in Xerox HFS or Merrell Vapor Gloves. Usually I'll take them off for the last half mile of my run and just go barefoot.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Yea, i was hospitalized for a few day’s earlier this year. I historically have a low resting heart rate, but while in the hospital my heart rate routinely dropped to 33-35 bpm. They outfitted me with a monitor that I wore at home for a week. Ran every test they could think of, they told me bradycardia, at 59 years of age with a documented history of low heart rate, they said eventually I would probably need a pacemaker eventually...
I recently purchased an Apple Watch 6. I slept in it a few nights but had to stop because I was being awakened 3-4 times a night because my heart rate fell below 40 bpm for ten minutes at a time.
I turned the low heart rate alert off on my watch, but I'm not sure what's best in your case.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I turned the low heart rate alert off on my watch, but I'm not sure what's best in your case.
I don’t otherwise see a benefit in me sleeping with a watch on, but I am open to ideas...

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This article about the benefits of high intensity interval training (particularly for older adults) may be of interest.

>>>They found that while strength training was effective at building muscle mass, high-intensity interval training yielded the biggest benefits at the cellular level. The younger volunteers in the interval training group saw a 49% increase in mitochondrial capacity, and the older volunteers saw an even more dramatic 69% increase. Interval training also improved volunteers' insulin sensitivity, which indicates a lower likelihood of developing diabetes. However, interval training was less effective at improving muscle strength, which typically declines with aging. "If people have to pick one exercise, I would recommend high-intensity interval training, but I think it would be more beneficial if they could do 3-4 days of interval training and then a couple days of strength training," says Nair. But, of course, any exercise was better than no exercise. . . .

By comparing proteomic and RNA-sequencing data from people on different exercise programs, the researchers found evidence that exercise encourages the cell to make more RNA copies of genes coding for mitochondrial proteins and proteins responsible for muscle growth. Exercise also appeared to boost the ribosomes' ability to build mitochondrial proteins. The most impressive finding was the increase in muscle protein content. In some cases, the high-intensity biking regimen actually seemed to reverse the age-related decline in mitochondrial function and proteins needed for muscle building.

The high-intensity biking regimen also rejuvenated the volunteers' ribosomes, which are responsible for producing our cells' protein building blocks. The researchers also found a robust increase in mitochondrial protein synthesis. Increase in protein content explains enhanced mitochondrial function and muscle hypertrophy. Exercise's ability to transform these key organelles could explain why exercise benefits our health in so many different ways.<<<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis