Any plans on reviewing this NAD integrated amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Another dumb unit that is way wide of the mark. Why are these outfits packed with people pig dribble stupid.

So only one HDMI input, so a switcher would be required. There is only one line in and an RIAA input. That means you need an analog switcher if you have one turntable and more than one other analog source. No bass management at all. If it stays true to the NAD tradition it won't be long before it blows up.

This is just an overpriced badly thought out unit. No need for further review.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, it’s worse than just one HDMI port. It is an eARC port only connectable to a TV’s eARC port and only supports PCM signals.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Another dumb unit that is way wide of the mark. Why are these outfits packed with people pig dribble stupid.

So only one HDMI input, so a switcher would be required. There is only one line in and an RIAA input. That means you need an analog switcher if you have one turntable and more than one other analog source. No bass management at all. If it stays true to the NAD tradition it won't be long before it blows up.

This is just an overpriced badly thought out unit. No need for further review.
In typical "Mark" fashion... quick with the harsh criticism without realizing the intended market. :rolleyes:

I do wonder if the reliability of NAD has improved yet? Reminds me of the older days of Onkyo with their premature HDMI failures.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

In typical "Mark" fashion... quick with the harsh criticism without realizing the intended market. :rolleyes:

I do wonder if the reliability of NAD has improved yet? Reminds me of the older days of Onkyo with their premature HDMI failures.
The market is the ignorant and ill informed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

As are others that don't understand the market. :rolleyes:
That unit is of very limited use. You can't even digitally connect a CD player. You only have two analog inputs, one line and the other RIAA. You need it connected to a TV to connect multiple HDMI sources and get the audio back to the unit as PCM. So if you have a number of devices, you will need a TV with multiple HDMI inputs to basically get any usefully broad functionality. This unit is exceptionally bad value for money. Please explain to me the dermagraphic of "tossers" who will plonk down over a grand for this.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That unit is of very limited use. You can't even digitally connect a CD player. You only have two analog inputs, one line and the other RIAA. You need it connected to a TV to connect multiple HDMI sources and get the audio back to the unit as PCM. So if you have a number of devices, you will need a TV with multiple HDMI inputs to basically get any usefully broad functionality. This unit is exceptionally bad value for money. Please explain to me the dermagraphic of "tossers" who will plonk down over a grand for this.
There you go again ... "tossers" .. :rolleyes: Just because it doesn't fit into your market niche doesn't mean it doesn't fit into others. This place is very home theater centric and this is where your mind automatically goes. This NAD is clearly meant for the 2 channel crowd who typically just connect a CD player and a turntable, perhaps a network streamer. The 2 channel crowd tend to shun the complication of home theater AVRs and seperates.

Does it fit in my y market niche? No it doesn't and apparently doesn't fit in yours either. However, just because it doesn't fit in my niche doesn't it mean I'm going to condemn it. That's why I would like to see a review with measurements to see how this performs, especially now that its using class D amps. An open mind and measurements of the unit will offer a much better perspective than a closed off mind ranting opinions on something that doesn't fit their need or purpose.

highfigh

highfigh

You should check out the article- the photo of the back clearly shows an optical and S/PDIF input.

That said, it really is short on inputs and that's something I have complained about for many years, here and elsewhere.
1700665153977.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
This unit is definitely aimed at those wanting a two channel unit with a retro look. It has modern streaming capabilities BUT very few inputs and the HDMI eARC port is basically useless in an audio only setup.

I can see some who might have considered a Power Node being interested in this unit. The node also features an eARC port and I recently saw a two channel Emotiva pre pro with an ARC port which is even more limited.

Now, an issue for some with Sony UBP-X700, X800 and X800M2 players is that these units don’t support DSD over their coaxial port and only PCM 16/44.1 will be output from a SACD over the coaxial connection.

The Sony players are equipped with two HDMI ports for separate audio and video signal outputs when needed and are the only way to get a DSD signal to an HDMI port at the receiving end. They will not work with devices such as the NAD here and others with only ARC/eARC ports.

The limitations of the Sony players combined with these new eARC equipped two channel units without additional HDMI ports will have some scratching their heads or even pulling their hair out when trying to get things to work properly. Oh, and it’s 2023 guys. No USB port for PC audio connection? Really? That one needs to be on everything at this point.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You should check out the article- the photo of the back clearly shows an optical and S/PDIF input.

That said, it really is short on inputs and that's something I have complained about for many years, here and elsewhere.
View attachment 64342
I just don't see the market being large enough to support a unit like this. Pretty much everyone I know wants a picture with their audio. The solution is usually a soundbar and small sub, and also Alexa. At least that is what I have noticed. So much program is now steamed to most homes now. Audio only streams and discs are losing their lustre.

In the classical domain there are now a plethora of really good AV streams from around the world. That arena is showing growth. But that NAD unit is not really what is required. It is just too limited. As far as I'm concerned no bass management is aa deal killer. That unit is likely to be used with smaller speakers, and a sub is really required. So I do not think that unit is thoughtfully designed for the current era.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just don't see the market being large enough to support a unit like this. Pretty much everyone I know wants a picture with their audio. The solution is usually a soundbar and small sub, and also Alexa. At least that is what I have noticed. So much program is now steamed to most homes now. Audio only streams and discs are losing their lustre.

In the classical domain there are now a plethora of really good AV streams from around the world. That arena is showing growth. But that NAD unit is not really what is required. It is just too limited. As far as I'm concerned no bass management is aa deal killer. That unit is likely to be used with smaller speakers, and a sub is really required. So I do not think that unit is thoughtfully designed for the current era.
I understand your POV and where you are coming from but you and like minded individuals are just a portion of the audio industry. I don't need a video stream to enjoy music of any king including classical so I'm already different. There are many others like me who don't need to see a video stream of the music being played. No, I'm not a audiophile nor do I care to become one.

NAD has been doing this for a long time and it know's its market. Whats interesting this time is that they chose to go with class D instead of their class AB designs. Many of the audiophiles may poo-poo that move but that remains to be seen.Like I said earlier, I would love to see this unit bench marked to see how it does, especially with NAD dipping their toes in class D.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No USB port for PC audio connection? Really? That one needs to be on everything at this point.
Most people now adays stream their music wirelessly from their PC. There are a few exceptions.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 64342
I agree that it is short on inputs as well. I would have liked to seen more.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't know how the manufacturers determine what people want, but they're definitely not asking the CI (Custom Integration) community. We hear what people ask for and can dig deeper, but when Denon removes the 12V trigger and courtesy outlet from the receivers that replace the older CI models, they clearly don't know how these are being used. I can use either for turning other devices on/off but at least give us the cheaper of the two.

You need to talk to people who are shopping for this stuff- small speakers are good because they don't have much visual impact and as long as they have some bass, they're usually happy. The days of "Most people care about sound quality" are gone- it's about convenience, invisibility and trendy. Oh, and constantly using smart phones for what used to be done with a universal remote control system.

highfigh

highfigh

Most people now adays stream their music wirelessly from their PC. There are a few exceptions.
Really? With AppleTV, Roku, HEOS, MusicCast, ChromeCast, Amazon Firestick, smart TVs/BD players and smart phones? I suppose they can use the large storage in a computer, but I'm not seeing as many people doing that/using a music server as I am seeing smart phones doing the bulk of the work as a source for BT, AirPlay, MiraCast/whatever Android calls it now, etc.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Really? With AppleTV, Roku, HEOS, MusicCast, ChromeCast, Amazon Firestick, smart TVs/BD players and smart phones? I suppose they can use the large storage in a computer, but I'm not seeing as many people doing that/using a music server as I am seeing smart phones doing the bulk of the work as a source for BT, AirPlay, MiraCast/whatever Android calls it now, etc.
I'm talking about the USB input specifically. All of these devices you mention get connected via HDMI.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm talking about the USB input specifically. All of these devices you mention get connected via HDMI.
And these are using the PC's USB port for a hard drive/thumb drive, or do you see these connected to routers that have a USB port?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis