4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think a lot of people either didn't see Fury Road so they felt they would not know what was going on with Furiosa. They didn't market the fact that you could watch it without seeing any of the Mad Max movies, but having that background obviously makes it better. Having only the one 30 second scene of Max also didn't help it, though that is a reference to Fury Road, it also seems to hint at the possibly not happening now movie "Mad Max: Wasteland" prequel.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I watched both Killers of the Flower moon and Napoleon on Apple TV.

Both are in 4k and have Atmos.

PQ-for both were very good (for streaming). Standard 4k streaming quality. Closeups had nice detail.

SQ- Atmos actually wasn't too bad either. Especially for Napoleon. I heard plenty of surround effects going on during the battle sequences. Also, when they were just walking around town, you could hear conversations or birds in the rear Atmos speakers. Killers of the Flower moon was a very heavy talking movie. So most of the sound comes from the front 3. There is one explosion that hits the subwoofer nicely, but otherwise it's a pretty tame movie for sound.

Overall, I would give Killers of the Flower moon a 9/10. It's one of those movies you'll watch once and probably never watch again, but it was a very good movie. I knocked off 1pt because of the length. I could've been 30-40 mins shorter.

Napoleon I'm giving a 7/10. I thought the movie was entertaining. You can definitely see that Ridley Scott edited out a ton to get it down to 2.5 hours. I think that's what hurts the movie the most. I did hear that RS has a 4+ hour cut of the movie that fills in the gaps. So hopefully one day he'll get that released. I know there was a lot of criticism regarding Joaquin's performance of Napoleon. I have not done any research on Napoleon, so I have no input regarding that. Was this his strongest performance? I don't think so. Though, I thought he did fine with what he had to work with. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha, you're really hating on Dune 2. Dune 2 is Empire Strikes Back level of awesome. 10/10 absolutely. :cool:

The reason Furiosa bombed at the box office is because it's 9 years too late. It also, didn't include the one person everybody wants to see "MAD MAX". hahaha Furiosa is not a huge draw. She was a great character in Fury Road, but a full standalone movie 9 years after, isn't going to be a hit.

Fury Road had more going on. Furiosa did not have a large script. Furiosa herself, barely talks for the entire 2+ hour movie. If people are excited to see Chris Hemsworth talk a lot, then they will be looking forward to this movie.

The chase sequences were fun, the sound in the theater i saw it in was garbage and the picture quality was meh. I hope the physical disc changes my tune for PQ/AQ because it was subpar in the theaters. Minus a few bass heavy scenes that were pretty impactful.

Fury Road is a 10/10 movie. Furiosa is a 8/10 movie. :D
I have no faith in the PQ/SQ of most commercial theaters, so I only judge based on what I see/hear in my HT.

Liking something is pure personal. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything other than subjective preference. Dune is just too large scale for me and not as “intimate” as a smaller story like Furiosa. Both Dune1-2 and Fury Road/Furiosa have excellent writing and directing to me. So I just preferred the more intimate smaller scale of Furiosa. Both series have excellent PQ/SQ, but the Mad Max series have a lot more OVERHEAD sound effects than the Dunes.

Ok, I admit that because I think Furiosa has a better ATMOS (not just overhead sound) than Dune1-2, I favor Furiosa over Dune. Again, preference and bias. :D

In terms of ATMOS, IMO Fury Road is the best of these follow by Furiosa.

I like that in Furiosa, she is Praetorian Furiosa (bodyguard/spy) and in Fury Road she is Imperator Furiosa (general). :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Civil War last week. Very interesting how they did not make it totally about the politics, and even had some questionable things like Texas and Ca. joining forces lol. Pretty decent overall, not sure I will buy the 4K because they really telegraphed that ending, but maybe would pick it up on Black Fri/Cyber Monday sale if it's cheap. I kind of thought they might do it more like a documentary style, but I like how they did it. I did not really note the quality of the video, but I did notice it had very good cinematography. Sound was good during the heavy action scenes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Watchers 2024 4K ATMOS.

PQ - good, shot in 6.5K digital.
SQ - good. Some cool overhead sounds.

Story/Writing/Directing - among the dumbest I’ve ever seen. The apple did not fall far from the M Night Shyamalan tree. :D

OMG. I thought her dad is an idiot. But she is even dumber. Talk about dumb and dumber.

This Watcher movie makes all the Star Wars TV episodes look like masterpieces. The Acolyte episodes, including episode 3, look like geniuses compared to this movie. :D

This retarded movie was just released in theaters a few weeks ago and grossed only about $30 million worldwide. That’s how pathetic this movie is. :D

The IMDb ratings for this movie is currently 5.7, but it should really be 0.0. :D

Why the hell would any movie studio allow these 2 to write and direct anything is astounding.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
If you don’t know what you are getting with that family already, that is on you.;) I’ve seen it and would watch it again before I’d ever watch “Obi Wan” again. Not going near “The Acolyte.” Lucas ruined the Jedi a long time ago with Ep. I. It showcases the single worst performance of every single actor in it as the writing and directing by Lucas were complete s#%t.

To s#%t on Shyamalan is like s#%ting on Nickleback. It became embarrassing for some to admit they liked them so they joined the s#%t on em’ party. But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t deserved much of the time. I believe Shyamalan finances his own productions and the studio simply buys the right to distribute them. He occasionally takes a big studio gig for the money to keep financing his own productions.

It is funny how “After Earth” was so hyped as a Will Smith idea and movie starring himself and his little brat. Neither can act worth s#%t. When it failed, it was rebranded as another Shyamalan flop to shield Smith from reality. If you are gonna’ drive a single self indulgent family out of Hollywood, I’d start with the Smiths.

But, I digress. Dakota Fanning always shows up for the job. She just didn’t have much to work with here. If anybody wants to avoid another disappointment at the movies this weekend, stay clear of “A Quiet Place: Day One.” There is some really bad writing in this one. Actors who have been much better in other productions just aren’t great here. It fails as a great action, sci-fi, and dramatic film. If not for the IMAX sound system, I’d have been really bored.

The Day 1 opening scene in “A Quiet Place Part II” is better than the entire “Day One“ movie. Can we get on with it and stop ruining properties with silly prequels and move the f#%kin’ stories forward already? That goes for “A Quiet Place,” “Mad Max,” “Star Trek” and “Star Wars.” F#%kin’ Gen X is trying to rewrite history for Gen Z in film and television instead of coming up with new stories after being traumatized by the Baby Boomers. So, your dad was a drunken a$$hole and your mom was a self righteous c#%t. Join the club. Get over it.:rolleyes:

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
If you don’t know what you are getting with that family already, that is on you.;) I’ve seen it and would watch it again before I’d ever watch “Obi Wan” again. Not going near “The Acolyte.” Lucas ruined the Jedi a long time ago with Ep. I. It showcases the single worst performance of every single actor in it as the writing and directing by Lucas were complete s#%t.

To s#%t on Shyamalan is like s#%ting on Nickleback. It became embarrassing for some to admit they liked them so they joined the s#%t on em’ party. But, that doesn’t mean it isn’t deserved much of the time. I believe Shyamalan finances his own productions and the studio simply buys the right to distribute them. He occasionally takes a big studio gig for the money to keep financing his own productions.

It is funny how “After Earth” was so hyped as a Will Smith idea and movie starring himself and his little brat. Neither can act worth s#%t. When it failed, it was rebranded as another Shyamalan flop to shield Smith from reality. If you are gonna’ drive a single self indulgent family out of Hollywood, I’d start with the Smiths.

But, I digress. Dakota Fanning always shows up for the job. She just didn’t have much to work with here. If anybody wants to avoid another disappointment at the movies this weekend, stay clear of “A Quiet Place: Day One.” There is some really bad writing in this one. Actors who have been much better in other productions just aren’t great here. It fails as a great action, sci-fi, and dramatic film. If not for the IMAX sound system, I’d have been really bored.

The Day 1 opening scene in “A Quiet Place Part II” is better than the entire “Day One“ movie. Can we get on with it and stop ruining properties with silly prequels and move the f#%kin’ stories forward already? That goes for “A Quiet Place,” “Mad Max,” “Star Trek” and “Star Wars.” F#%kin’ Gen X is trying to rewrite history for Gen Z in film and television instead of coming up with new stories after being traumatized by the Baby Boomers. So, your dad was a drunken a$$hole and your mom was a self righteous c#%t. Join the club. Get over it.:rolleyes:
Will Smith is an excellent actor.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I’m entitled to my opinion, as are you. I don’t want to hear anything about his winning an Oscar. They are literally giving those things away. That Oscar slap was perhaps the worst performance of his career next to that sham marriage. The “Fresh Prince” goodwill continues to carry him.

I did actually enjoy him in Suicide Squad but Margot Robbie stole it. Jared Leto and Cara Delevigne stunk and really brought it down. Smith really stunk in Gemini Man but, to be fair, the writing also stunk and didn’t do anybody any favors.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I’m entitled to my opinion, as are you. I don’t want to hear anything about his winning an Oscar. They are literally giving those things away. That Oscar slap was perhaps the worst performance of his career next to that sham marriage. The “Fresh Prince” goodwill continues to carry him.

I did actually enjoy him in Suicide Squad but Margot Robbie stole it. Jared Leto and Cara Delevigne stunk and really brought it down. Smith really stunk in Gemini Man but, to be fair, the writing also stunk and didn’t do anybody any favors.
He should’ve won his first Oscar for Wild Wild West. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I couldn’t stand the writing for Quiet Place and Quieter Place. :D

So I expect that I would hate the QP-Day 1 writing just as much as the 1st 2 movies.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Gemini Man was an action motion, great acting performance was not needed. He did an excellent job playing Richard Williams, the father of tennis stars Serena and Venus Williams. He also did a great job in Apple TV's original Emancipation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis