Any knife nuts here?

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
So I know there are several folks on the board who are into guns, but what about knives? I just recently went on another knife kick and ordered myself three brand new knives. I got a Kershaw Leek, Kershaw Speed Bump, and a SOG Aegis. I normally carry Spyderco knives, but decided I wanted something different, and got some knives with auto assist opening, and so far I'm digging it.

So what does everyone else here carry, what is your favorite edc knife? I'd say my favorite is my Endura 4 with the black combo edge blade.
I have loved and collected all types of knives for many years,I will have to get them all together and take a pic and post it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Spyderco Salt 1 ( used when I kayak/fish)
Benchmade: 2550
Randall 'The Trapper'
Colt Police Task Force

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I would love to get some throwing knives like that ones in Desperado.

Do I throw knives? No...but those things are just cool. Heck, I bought a Beretta 92 FS because of Lethal Weapon. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not to steer away from kitchen knives, as I happen to actually really like those, but anyone here into throwing knives?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not to steer away from kitchen knives, as I happen to actually really like those, but anyone here into throwing knives?
I have two of them. Dull as soup spoons, but still kinda cool.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
a few days ago my first "real" knife:
How do you like it? I just got mine about half an hour ago. I'll see how it cuts later today, and will need to wait and see how it holds up, but it looks to be the best knife that I've ever had.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you like it? I just got mine about half an hour ago. I'll see how it cuts later today, and will need to wait and see how it holds up, but it looks to be the best knife that I've ever had.
I agree - it's also the most expensive one :D
Keep in mind - never to put it in dishwasher and never leave in sink. Get some mineral oil and treat the wooden handle ever 1/2 year or so

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
So today my Leatherman Crater C33B arrived. Despite its appearance in the pictures, it is quite well made, and I am very happy with my purchase.

It has a 420HC Stainless Steel Drop Point blade, blade launcher (blade open assist), bit driver, combination carabiner and bottle opener (which opens bottle surprisingly well), all wrapped up in a lightweight sturdy package that can shave hair off my legs. Don't worry, I only did a small part :D

The only thing I don't like is that the pocket clip rides a little high on my jeans pocket. It makes it easy to grab the top of the knife, but I'm a little nervous that it might fall out.

Size comparison (left to right, leatherman micra, swiss army knife, leatherman c33b, leatherman wave)

Not all of the knives come with this, but mine was a kit that included a holster and a small screwdriver bit kit.

I would highly recommend it as an EDC, as it has some of the functionality of a multitool without sacrificing on the knife portion. If you want to spend a little more, the expanse series is similar to the crater, except it uses better materials like a 154CM blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I got a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Cuisine knives as a Christmas gift. I was trying to do some research as to where this particular model fits into their line as far as quality goes compared to their others like Pro S, 4 star, 5 star, etc. I haven't had much luck as the manufacturuer thinks that every line they produce is good.

I see that other members on here like Global, MAC, Shun, Victorinox, etc. which are really rated high on a lot of the top 10 lists of research that I've done.

Did I get an equivalant of a 'Bose' gift for Christmas? Maybe I should just re-gift these and look to getting a good set of knives for the kitchen?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Cuisine knives for Christmas. I was trying to do some research as to where this particular model fits into their line as far as quality goes compared to their others like Pro S, 4 star, 5 star, etc. I haven't had much luck as the manufacturuer thinks that every line they produce is good.

I see that other members on here like Global, MAC, Shun, Victorinox, etc. which are really rated high on a lot of the top 10 lists of research that I've done.

Did I get an equivalant of a 'Bose' gift for Christmas? Maybe I should just re-gift these and look to getting a good set of knives for the kitchen?

Different folk swear by different brand and stay loyal - Since making knifes is not building rockets - many different companies make them and there are ton of brands I never heard of, that said:
Zwilling J.A. Henckels is good stuff and you didn't bought the "bose" of knifes, more like Yamaha :D
As long as it's not Henckels International brand (made in china) you're good

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I tried to purchase the Shun Premier Santuku knife on Amazon. It shows it's in stock, but when I try to pay for the item is says it's not. That is one beautiful knife I'm going to have to purchase.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to purchase the Shun Premier Santuku knife on Amazon. It shows it's in stock, but when I try to pay for the item is says it's not. That is one beautiful knife I'm going to have to purchase.
Hi. It's in stock by third party merchants, but not in stock with Amazon at the moment. When I ordered mine earlier this month from Amazon, it was also out of stock. I think that it took about a week for mine to get in stock and ship. It's worth the wait!

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Hi. It's in stock by third party merchants, but not in stock with Amazon at the moment. When I ordered mine earlier this month from Amazon, it was also out of stock. I think that it took about a week for mine to get in stock and ship. It's worth the wait!
There are two $99.95 deals, Metrokitchen and Amazon. I attempted to order one from Metrokitchen because it shows it is in stock. When I checkout and pay for the item, it says this item must have became unavailable while you were going through the checkout process (or something similar). Amazon is out of stock as well. I think I should be more patient like yourself. I tend to have bad luck and I really don't want to be the guy that orders it and waits for a month lol :p I did find a few other online merchants that have it for the same price but charge standard shipping rates.

So you really like that knife, huh? It looks awesome that's for sure.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
When I checkout and pay for the item, it says this item must have became unavailable while you were going through the checkout process (or something similar).
Ahhh, gotcha. That's too bad.

So you really like that knife, huh? It looks awesome that's for sure.
I do. Well, as much as I can like a kitchen knife. :D It is extremely nice looking and quite sharp.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I do. Well, as much as I can like a kitchen knife. :D It is extremely nice looking and quite sharp.
haha, I wouldn't want you liking it anymore than you should. Just wanted to make sure it looks as good in person as it does in the photos, and its really sharp. All of my knives dulled very quickly and are of low quality (Oneida), very disappointing.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just wanted to make sure it looks as good in person as it does in the photos, and its really sharp.
I think it looks as good in person. The Amazon image made me think that the metal had a dull gray finish. It doesn't. It's polished and shiny like the image below. It does have a sort of speckled coating over the top.

Mine was sharp right out of the box. The manufacturer recommends honing it once a week. I'm deciding if it's worth getting their honing steel with the 16° guide. I have a sharpener for Asian knives, but it's for 15° edges. I'm just not sure it's worth spending another $100 for that exact angle.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I think it looks as good in person. The Amazon image made me think that the metal had a dull gray finish. It doesn't. It's polished and shiny like the image below. It does have a sort of speckled coating over the top.

Mine was sharp right out of the box. The manufacturer recommends honing it once a week. I'm deciding if it's worth getting their honing steel with the 16° guide. I have a sharpener for Asian knives, but it's for 15° edges. I'm just not sure it's worth spending another $100 for that exact angle.
That's good to know. You'll have to let me know what works best.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I got a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Cuisine knives as a Christmas gift. I was trying to do some research as to where this particular model fits into their line as far as quality goes compared to their others like Pro S, 4 star, 5 star, etc. I haven't had much luck as the manufacturuer thinks that every line they produce is good.

I've been using Henckels for over 15 years now, pretty good knives IMO. From what I remember any of their line that displays the twin guys in black are their "top of the line" blades but I'm not sure if this has changed over the years. Looks like the ones you show in the picture are NOT the "Bose" of knives as they have the right stamp on them.

One thing about getting kitchen knives, made sure the handle (curve, height and profile) fits your hand/style nicely or try a different set/brand. My brother purchased a set of Wusthof knvies about the same time I did, also a very nice set of knvies with a little different feel/grip to them.

For anyone that cooks regularly I'd recommend getting a set of the good Henckels or Wusthof blades. Probably the most important thing is to learn how to sharpen them properly.

Steve

E

EIPtuningR32

Audioholic Intern
i carry a Kershaw Skyline. it is a great EDC knife. its thin and light and has good edge retention in retrospect to its price. i used to carry a Cold Steel Ti-Lite but quit due to the screws not screwing back into the zytel handle after a teardown for cleaning...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis