Any knife nuts here?

majorloser

majorloser

Kyocera makes awesome ceramic knives. Ain't cheap though.

The Damascus sashimi blade is freakin' beautiful. Just looking at it makes me want chirashizushi.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I did break one of my EOD blades from when I was carrying it in my back pocket and sat on it. The sheath slipped off and broke the blade clean off at the hilt.

But let's face it, if you have a problem dropping kitchen knives on the floor, you are a danger to society and don't deserve quality blades.
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised that simple drop didn't break it, only strong bend did - I think I could live with that.

I don't normally drop my knifes, but it happens once in a while :eek: I guess I am danger to society :rolleyes:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Knife and nuts do not belong in the same sentence!:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I never kept good knives around the kitchen because the kids always dropped them. I have a badly chipped Henkel and that's as good as it got for the kitchen. Now that the kids are out of the house, I can get some nice stuff.

For the past 7-8 years I have kept my stainless spyderco serrated with me.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I don't carry but I always have something handy like the Gerber multi tool in my car and an old Swiss Army knife at work. My favorite knife is a CRKT Point Guard. It wasn't terribly expensive and not fancy but it opens fast an has a solid lock.

Jim

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
That thing must be a real pain to sharpen... I had a Spyderco police model in ATS-55 steel, with the partial serrated blade, and I couldn't get that thing sharp no matter what, and I even have the spyerco sharpmaker. But luckily Spyderco will sharpen their knives for free as long as you pay the shipping both ways. I just don't care for fully serrated blades, they don't work too well for edc, at least for me anyways.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So, what do you keep under your pillow?:D
A Buck Nighthawk and something that goes bang. :D

I really want to get a full set of Kyocera ceramic knives.
I have Sam's Club's long discontinued house brand for my main set which are nothing to sneeze at because they usually contract with a super premium manufacturer, but I did pick up a 2-piece set of Kyocera ceramic knives and love them. You just have to be super careful with them but holy crap are they sharp. I have a 3 slot block and will add the chief's knife eventually.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I was referring to these knifes :
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/14564/
GlocksRock, getting decent kitchen cutlery doesn't have to be expensive.

These are not equivalent to wustoff quality, but they are 90% there at 1/2 to 1/3 of the price.

You must use diamond based sharpening on these - 600 to 800 grid.

Handwash and wall mounted magnetic strip (also sold in Ikea) is the way to go.
So I went to Ikea and checked out the 8" Slitbar chef's knife, with the VG10 steel, and I'm giving it some seroius consideration. I did get the matching diamond coated steel, as I didn't have a steel, and it's really nice, plus it should go well with the knife should I decide to get it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So I went to Ikea and checked out the 8" Slitbar chef's knife, with the VG10 steel, and I'm giving it some seroius consideration. I did get the matching diamond coated steel, as I didn't have a steel, and it's really nice, plus it should go well with the knife should I decide to get it.
I love their knifes, but i'm not huge fan of the diamond coated "steel"...
It's pretty rough and makes it very hard to make sharp edge..
I bought this kit and I love it - my knifes are sharper than ever

http://www.amazon.com/ADELUXE-Aligner-Deluxe-Knife-Sharpening/dp/B000FKM41S

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
A steel isn't for sharpening a knife, it's just to realign the blade, and while the diamond steel is pretty rough, it's probably needed for the hard VG10 steel in their damascus steel chefs knife. I already have a spyderco sharpmaker for all of my sharpening needs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That thing must be a real pain to sharpen... I had a Spyderco police model in ATS-55 steel, with the partial serrated blade, and I couldn't get that thing sharp no matter what, and I even have the spyerco sharpmaker. But luckily Spyderco will sharpen their knives for free as long as you pay the shipping both ways. I just don't care for fully serrated blades, they don't work too well for edc, at least for me anyways.
I bought their special sharpener for it and haven't had a problem. The serrations tend to stay sharp, it is only the tip that dulls quick because I use it more. I also had a Dragonfly straight edge polymer frame, but I lost it because it was so small and had no built in clip.

Will have to get a pic of the new kitchen knife I picked up over the weekend when I get home next weekend. Tempered 6" Miyabi. Haven't even had a chance to use it :(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Found a great deal on a couple of Calphalon Katana knives on ebay, so I got a 8" Chefs knife, and a 7" Santoku. Stopped by Ikea on my lunch break to pickup a magnetic knife strip and a couple new cutting boards. Can't wait to get my new knives in and see what I've been missing all along.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, that Miyabi is gorgeous, I bet it cuts like a lightsaber.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Shun's are definitely cool. Just a tad pricey for me. I buy the Calphalon Katana knock-offs especially since there is a Calphalon outlet just down the street and when they're having a sale you can get knives for about $30

Just got my Calphalon Katana 8" Chefs and 7" Santoku yesterday. I used the santoku briefly to cut a few veggies and so far I'm very impressed, definitely much better than the knives I was using previously. I got them both brand new from someone on ebay for $97 shipped, so I didn't figure that was a bad deal for the both of them. I would have gone to an outlet, but there isn't a calphalon outlet anywhere near me.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just got my Calphalon Katana 8" Chefs and 7" Santoku yesterday. I used the santoku briefly to cut a few veggies and so far I'm very impressed, definitely much better than the knives I was using previously. I got them both brand new from someone on ebay for $97 shipped, so I didn't figure that was a bad deal for the both of them. I would have gone to an outlet, but there isn't a calphalon outlet anywhere near me.
Just be sure to wash and dry them right away after using. I've told my wife this countless times and I saw some rust on one of my knives the other day. I flipped! :mad:

I told her next time she does that I'm keeping my knives in my car!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis