Any Focal owners out there?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
It is important to understand that the MCA225's output is specified as:

225 W, 8 ohm load, 400 W, 4 ohm load, 20-20,000 Hz, at <1% THD

It is also specified for 100 W, 8 ohm at much lower (say inaudible) distortions: 0.001% 1 kHz, 0.015% 20,000 Hz.

So you can see that it is not fixed at 225 W. In fact, any amplifiers, even if specified 1,000 W or more, will only "deliver" what your speakers would draw. In other words, it is up to you to set the volume level and your speakers to draw the current at that volume setting, and would vary according to the media contents you play.

Your Aria 906 will not be at risk at all as long as you don't turn the volume up to the point you can hear any hints of distortions, and when you do, turn it down. If you don't follow good practice, even a 100 W 8 ohms rated amp can, and will blow your speakers.
Well said PENG. Yes, I am still around. Having a great time with Movies and 2 channel music. I only use the Focal 906’s for my surround sound during movies and I do play my Movies pretty loud. I love the sound effects, so I can say the 906’s connected to the anthem MCA 325 has been working well for me. I am a Focal owner and probably will be for life. Still jamming and reading about all of the great systems everyone has.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well said PENG. Yes, I am still around. Having a great time with Movies and 2 channel music. I only use the Focal 906’s for my surround sound during movies and I do play my Movies pretty loud. I love the sound effects, so I can say the 906’s connected to the anthem MCA 325 has been working well for me. I am a Focal owner and probably will be for life. Still jamming and reading about all of the great systems everyone has.
Good to know you are still around. Since you mentioned 2 channel music, I should then mention that while like my focal speakers a lot, but I really enjoy them more now that I started trying Dirac Live's PC standalone version.

My 1028 Be share space with my 7.1.4 HT setup so the bass performance have never been optimal and the REW FR graphs really show the issues. Dirac Live has done a good job even under such bad conditions for the speakers. I highly suggest you try that too, the effects for me are very audible, not night and day because the 1028 Be sounded very good without it, but the improvement is well worth the cost of the DL RC.

If you are interested, take a look of some graphs I posted on my thread on Dirac Live two channel version. I have more graphs to add yet, time permitting..

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Good to know you are still around. Since you mentioned 2 channel music, I should then mention that while like my focal speakers a lot, but I really enjoy them more now that I started trying Dirac Live's PC standalone version.

My 1028 Be share space with my 7.1.4 HT setup so the bass performance have never been optimal and the REW FR graphs really show the issues. Dirac Live has done a good job even under such bad conditions for the speakers. I highly suggest you try that too, the effects for me are very audible, not night and day because the 1028 Be sounded very good without it, but the improvement is well worth the cost of the DL RC.

If you are interested, take a look of some graphs I posted on my thread on Dirac Live two channel version. I have more graphs to add yet, time permitting..
I am very impressed and interested in that information. I’ve spent probably 20 hours moving speakers around back-and-forth. Over to the left, over to the right, changing crossover’s etc.
As of now, I think I got it dialed in as best as I can without using anything but my own ears.
I just started researching what you said to check out. It’s all new to me and need to figure out how to incorporate it into my system.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Ver
Figure I would share I am a proud new owner of the Focal Sopra No 3's! I demoed quite a few speakers in this proce but but ended up absolutely loving the way these look and sound.. I originally thought they would be too big for my room but I think they ended up fitting rather nicely
[/QUOTE

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Very nice. That would be the next step up for me after the Kanta 3’s I own. What type of music are you into?

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Very nice. That would be the next step up for me after the Kanta 3’s I own. What type of music are you into?
Thanks! In terms of music I pretty much listen to anything and everything at this point (except for country and classical music). Although I tend to gravitate towards rock most of the time.. and this includes anything from like Rolling Stones/Queen up through the 90's and any modern rock that still exists today. What really got me with these speakers is their ability to resolve detail without being harsh. My previous speakers (energy veritas) resolved probably about 80% of the detail I hear with the Sopras, but they could sound very harsh and very sibelent depending upon the source material. I feel like I can just listen and enjoy a wider range of music with the Focals now (and isn't that the whole point?)... oh and btw - I do have them hooked up to a home theater setup and they are for sure on a whole other level in terms of dynamics!

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thanks! In terms of music I pretty much listen to anything and everything at this point (except for country and classical music). Although I tend to gravitate towards rock most of the time.. and this includes anything from like Rolling Stones/Queen up through the 90's and any modern rock that still exists today. What really got me with these speakers is their ability to resolve detail without being harsh. My previous speakers (energy veritas) resolved probably about 80% of the detail I hear with the Sopras, but they could sound very harsh and very sibelent depending upon the source material. I feel like I can just listen and enjoy a wider range of music with the Focals now (and isn't that the whole point?)... oh and btw - I do have them hooked up to a home theater setup and they are for sure on a whole other level in terms of dynamics!
That is awesome. I’m very similar to you. My music, my 2 channel setup with passthru for home theater. It’s the only hobby out of a few I never tire of. I have the day off from work and my Grand kids slept over last night and we watch the 4k Version of Harry Potter Till 3 am. I had the volume up pretty loud, “louder than usual” and ask them if its to loud I can turn it down, they said, no, including my wife .
I have 2 REL sx212 hooked up to my system for extra bass and I really like it. Even during 2 channel music. Grand kids are getting up soon and spend the rest of the day with the movies and leftovers from Easter brunch party I had yesterday. “Maybe I will turn it up to 11.”

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Oh nice hope you enjoyed your day off with the grandkids! I have two daughters and they love movie nights in the theater - still a little young for Harry Potter but it's on the list of movies to watch as they get a bit older.

I bet those RELs sound amazing with the Kantas... I have two Rythmik G25hp subs (dual 15 inch sealed) and they definitely blend well with the Sopras. Having soap that, they are definitely not needed for music the vast majority of the time.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
My stereo dealer wanted me to trade in my Kanta 3’s for the Sopra 3’s 6 months ago. But I declined the offer. Wanted to, but just wanted to build my system equally. Trying to save up for a pair of 600 watt monoblock amps that I have my Eyes on. So far, I’m jammin tunes and loving it with my 2 channel 400 watt amp. But those Sopra 3’s are gorgeous. Just waiting for the stereo shop to buy a pair so I could demo them side-by-side with my Kanta’s. And I like black. When I traded my Kanta 2’s, they had the woodgrain back with the gray front and they were nice to look at until I got the black 3’s. And I demo both the 2’s and 3’s side-by-side in my basement and that’s how I ended up telling them to take the 2’s back. I’m sure if they brought the Sopras to my house I would tell them to take the kanta’s back. Where does it all stop? Hmmm,

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
Haha - exactly! I was actually able to a/b the sopras against the Kantas in the same room with same electronics. What was funny is my original budget put the Kanta 3s at a bit of a stretch... listened to them and thought they sounded really good.. then the dealer was like "you want me to hook up the sopras so you can at least hear them?" I said sure and, obviously I am sure there was some placebo effect going on, but thought the Sopras had a less fatiguing higher end and was much more dynamic than the Kantas. Both are absolutely fantastic speakers but I wanted this to be one of my last speaker purchases so figured just spend a bit more so i wasnt left wondering "what if"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis