Any Focal owners out there?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So I was reading an article about the rock mountain audio fest i think it's called. I saw they had some really high end focals there. A room with over $1,000,000 worth of Focals and electronics! Bet they had presidential level security there ;). One of these days I may just have to to one of these high end audio trade shows. Even-though I couldn't afford most of the equipment there just the experience of listing to some of this gear could be worth the trip.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So I was reading an article about the rock mountain audio fest i think it's called. I saw they had some really high end focals there. A room with over $1,000,000 worth of Focals and electronics! Bet they had presidential level security there ;). One of these days I may just have to to one of these high end audio trade shows. Even-though I couldn't afford most of the equipment there just the experience of listing to some of this gear could be worth the trip.
I heard a set of the Electra Bookshelves and the Utopia Grands at RMAF several years ago, and was extremely impressed by each!

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Yes, they had a huge room set up with 4 of the giant Utopia speakers in a 4 channel setup, which was amazing, but also pure unobtainium. But on the 5th floor, they had a room with Sopra N3 and Classe power amps, and it was sounding really good on Hey There(everybody at the show seemed to be playing that song).

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
In reply to kosmic’s comments about the focal Aria 948.
I am looking at a great price on the Aria 948’s. Can you give me more details about your experience on this speaker. I originally heards these a year ago at a stereo dealer and they no longer carry that one, although they have Aria 936 and Kanta no 2 & 3.
I can get the Aria 948 online for $3500. Can you tell me more about it.
I have Focal Aria 948. I had quite old Monitor Audio Bronze B4 and last year decided to upgrade. I've listened to Monitor Audio Gold, Tannoy Revolution and some Sanus Faber (maybe Venere) floorstanders and was just blown away by sound of Arias. Comparing to them everything sounded "small" and like closed headphones comaring to open ones.

Sometimes when kids are away I play a but with placement, I don't think I've found the best position yet. Currently they are facing center of sofa directly and on some recordings speakers don't blend. When I had them just forward-facing I think it was better on sofa, but outside of it (e.g. near dining table) the nearest speaker sounded isolated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard a set of the Electra Bookshelves and the Utopia Grands at RMAF several years ago, and was extremely impressed by each!
Is that RMAF thing worth going, and why in your opinion, for someone all the way from Ontario?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is that RMAF thing worth going, and why in your opinion, for someone all the way from Ontario?
I thoroughly enjoyed it! A great atmosphere with a lot of people that enjoy the hobby. And, if you go on the last day, opportunity to purchase (at a discount) the demo gear that the vendors don't want to haul back with them.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of snake oil and smoke and mirrors, just smile and go on your way when you meet or speak to these bozos.

However, they announced at the end of this year's RMAF that it will move to a new venue next year. And, when I was there, the current venue was under renovation. So, I really can't tell you much about the venue(s) past or future.

For many years, I would go to Denver for Great American Beer Fest! That year, I decided to go to RMAF instead. These are typically held around the same time, and they have also been held on the same weekend before.

We have friends in Colorado, so typically make it up there once every year or so. I will often plan to make it to at least 1 of these events while we are there.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I thoroughly enjoyed it! A great atmosphere with a lot of people that enjoy the hobby. And, if you go on the last day, opportunity to purchase (at a discount) the demo gear that the vendors don't want to haul back with them.

Don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of snake oil and smoke and mirrors, just smile and go on your way when you meet or speak to these bozos.

However, they announced at the end of this year's RMAF that it will move to a new venue next year. And, when I was there, the current venue was under renovation. So, I really can't tell you much about the venue(s) past or future.

For many years, I would go to Denver for Great American Beer Fest! That year, I decided to go to RMAF instead. These are typically held around the same time, and they have also been held on the same weekend before.

We have friends in Colorado, so typically make it up there once every year or so. I will often plan to make it to at least 1 of these events while we are there.
Question for ya: if I go a big show like this and bring a cd with my two favorite songs, you think they'll play them for me or you think they'd tell me to f- off?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Question for ya: if I go a big show like this and bring a cd with my two favorite songs, you think they'll play them for me or you think they'd tell me to f- off?
A good number of exhibitors will humor you and play a CD. Some may not want to, and some might not even have any sort of CD player in their demo system.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
mtrot nailed it in post 28

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I just purchased a pair of Focal Kanta No. 2. They sound great. Got a great discount because I’m guessing the dealer is making room for Kanta No 3. Now I need an Amp, I’m leaning towards the Anthem MCA 325.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone using Focal in a home theater setup with Atmos? Curious how the center performs and the wall mounted surrounds as well. The 900 Aria series has my interest but I’m in no hurry. :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I have the Focal XS Book as PC speakers, which fits nicely beside my 27 inch monitor as the speakers are slim.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Anyone using Focal in a home theater setup with Atmos? Curious how the center performs and the wall mounted surrounds as well. The 900 Aria series has my interest but I’m in no hurry. :)
I don’t have Atmos. Just 5.1 for now. My ceilings are under 8 feet tall and are probably to low for atmos.
I have Focal Chorus cc700 center speaker,
Focal Kanta No. 2 for fronts,
Focal Aria 906 for rear speakers
and a JL Audio E112 sub.
So far, I’m very satisfied with sound system. Both HT and 2 channel music are great.
I’m saving up for a Kanta no. 1 Center and 1 more JL Audio E112 sub to fulfill my main Focal sound system, and use my Chorus center speaker for my second smaller family room Sound system in the future using Aria 948 for fronts.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t have Atmos. Just 5.1 for now. My ceilings are under 8 feet tall and are probably to low for atmos.
I have Focal Chorus cc700 center speaker,
Focal Kanta No. 2 for fronts,
Focal Aria 906 for rear speakers
and a JL Audio E112 sub.
So far, I’m very satisfied with sound system. Both HT and 2 channel music are great.
I’m saving up for a Kanta no. 1 Center and 1 more JL Audio E112 sub to fulfill my main Focal sound system, and use my Chorus center speaker for my second smaller family room Sound system in the future using Aria 948 for fronts.
Ya I was curious about the SR900 on wall for sides with aria towers and aria center in a 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 My ceilings would be RSL 34e at least initially.

Besides Focal Aria, I also am looking at Canton Vento and SVS Ultra and Golden Ear triton and Revel Concerta2.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Focal Kanta No. 2 for fronts
Do the Kanta's produce good bass without a sub? I'm talking about bass to the point where you feel like you don't need a subwoofer in the set up.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Do the Kanta's produce good bass without a sub? I'm talking about bass to the point where you feel like you don't need a subwoofer in the set up.
From hearing them at audio shows, I would say Kanta No.2 produce pretty good bass, for their size and having 6.5" woofers. But personally, with Kanta No.3 only costing $2,000 more, I would never buy the Kanta No2, if I wanted to run without subs. Kanta No.3 towers over the No.2, and has two 8" woofers. If you compare the dimensions and specs of Kanta No.3 to Sopra No3, you will see that they are nearly identical. Kanta No.3 may be one of the top bargains in speakers at this point.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I beli
the is v
From hearing them at audio shows, I would say Kanta No.2 produce pretty good bass, for their size and having 6.5" woofers. But personally, with Kanta No.3 only costing $2,000 more, I would never buy the Kanta No2, if I wanted to run without subs. Kanta No.3 towers over the No.2, and has two 8" woofers. If you compare the dimensions and specs of Kanta No.3 to Sopra No3, you will see that they are nearly identical. Kanta No.3 may be one of the top bargains in speakers at this point.
I agree about more bass from No 3. But to answer your question about No 2 for bass is very good. I heard the No 3 as well and it kicks _$$.
I like my Kanta No 2 because I got them for $5400 cash out the door.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I beli

the is v

I agree about more bass from No 3. But to answer your question about No 2 for bass is very good. I heard the No 3 as well and it kicks _$$.
I like my Kanta No 2 because I got them for $5400 cash out the door.
Congrats! If the Kanta 2 is as good or better than the 1028, you will have more bass than you need in a small room. In a larger room, Kanta 2+ sub should sound better than Kanta 3 anyway.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Congrats! If the Kanta 2 is as good or better than the 1028, you will have more bass than you need in a small room. In a larger room, Kanta 2+ sub should sound better than Kanta 3 anyway.
Hi Peng. I did buy the Anthem MCA 325 amp and the Carver M-1.0t mk II amp and Focal Aria 906 for surround. Just walked out of a HT/audio shop 1 hr away from my hime and they were telling me I need better speaker wires and power cords to improve my sound system. $$$$$$

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Peng. I did buy the Anthem MCA 325 amp and the Carver M-1.0t mk II amp and Focal Aria 906 for surround. Just walked out of a HT/audio shop 1 hr away from my hime and they were telling me I need better speaker wires and power cords to improve my sound system. $$$$$$
Of course, though better speaker wires never hurt as long as they are made of copper and sized generously.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis