Any Focal owners out there?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Peng. I did buy the Anthem MCA 325 amp and the Carver M-1.0t mk II amp and Focal Aria 906 for surround. Just walked out of a HT/audio shop 1 hr away from my hime and they were telling me I need better speaker wires and power cords to improve my sound system. $$$$$$
What kind of speaker wires do you have now?
I generally make the "whimsical" assumption that the manufacturer of the amp would not sell it with a power cord that prevents it from performing to it's design capability!
What speaker cables do you currently have that the HT/Audio shop does not believe to be adequate? As long as you are using a heavy gauge copper cable, they are probably just looking to make more money off of you. Replacement cables have a very high profit level and make for easy money!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@CB22 a good friend of mine just got a new set of Focal Aria 906's and he is gushing over them. According to him they are very smooth a detailed. My friend plays a lot of vinyl and is totally enamored w/the 906's. Now, he has me interested in them as well. Anyways, just thought that i would mention it. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Of course, though better speaker wires never hurt as long as they are made of copper and sized generously.
The stereo dealer where I bought my speakers and amps from said I only needed the 12 gauge stranded copper speaker wires (70 cents a foot). Which i bought for my speakers.
Other stereo shop 1 hour away believes in the expensive cables and wires. ( which i read through AH that it sounds like snake oil.)
Wire is wire . Unless the copper isn’t pure copper?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Focal Aria 906's and he is gushing over them.
Next time your over there get in a listen. They sure do look nice! Unfortunately it's very hard to even find stereo stores in New Orleans that have speakers of this caliber to audition.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The stereo dealer where I bought my speakers and amps from said I only needed the 12 gauge stranded copper speaker wires (70 cents a foot). Which i bought for my speakers.
Other stereo shop 1 hour away believes in the expensive cables and wires. ( which i read through AH that it sounds like snake oil.)
Wire is wire . Unless the copper isn’t pure copper?
For 10-15 ft I would use 12 AWG, 14 AWG would have been more than fine but bigger is almost always better, within reason.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Next time your over there get in a listen. They sure do look nice! Unfortunately it's very hard to even find stereo stores in New Orleans that have speakers of this caliber to audition.
I would be more than happy to do that for you. As well as myself. But, my friend lives a good ways away. he actually owned the Aria 905's, but moved up to the 906's. For some reason, my friend claims that the 905's were a bit bright and slightly forward. He goes on to say that the 906's are more balanced and smooth. No brightness at all. I agree they really do look great. Apparently sound just as well as they look. :) Merry Christmas to you and yours and have a Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Phil

S

stereojunkie

Enthusiast
@CB22 a good friend of mine just got a new set of Focal Aria 906's and he is gushing over them. According to him they are very smooth a detailed. My friend plays a lot of vinyl and is totally enamored w/the 906's. Now, he has me interested in them as well. Anyways, just thought that i would mention it. :)

Cheers,

Phil
Is this the same guy that has the concept 20's? I have had my eye on the 905's to give them a go or the new RSL G5 line.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Is this the same guy that has the concept 20's? I have had my eye on the 905's to give them a go or the new RSL G5 line.
I have not heard him speak of the Concept 20's. I do know that he at one time had the Aria 905's. However, he claims that they were a bit too bright for his tastes. As such, he recently ordered a set of the Aria 906's and is very happy with them. Send me a PM and I will gladly give you his name and how to get in touch w/him.

Cheers,

Phil

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
I don’t have Atmos. Just 5.1 for now. My ceilings are under 8 feet tall and are probably to low for atmos.
I have Focal Chorus cc700 center speaker,
Focal Kanta No. 2 for fronts,
Focal Aria 906 for rear speakers
and a JL Audio E112 sub.
So far, I’m very satisfied with sound system. Both HT and 2 channel music are great.
I’m saving up for a Kanta no. 1 Center and 1 more JL Audio E112 sub to fulfill my main Focal sound system, and use my Chorus center speaker for my second smaller family room Sound system in the future using Aria 948 for fronts.
Wondering about your center channel situation? I have the Kanta No1s coming next week and I plan to pair them with the Aria Center Channel. Did you ever get the Kanta center? I think it would be great with the Kanta 1s, but it might also be a bit overkill. not sure, I guess I’ll find out soon enough.. I’d be interested I learning what you gained by moving up to the Kanta center..

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Wondering about your center channel situation? I have the Kanta No1s coming next week and I plan to pair them with the Aria Center Channel. Did you ever get the Kanta center? I think it would be great with the Kanta 1s, but it might also be a bit overkill. not sure, I guess I’ll find out soon enough.. I’d be interested I learning what you gained by moving up to the Kanta center..
Hi, I own the Kanta Center speaker, it works beautiful for me. I’m very happy with it. Never worry about overkill. You will never look back and wonder what if I ?

Last edited:
H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I own the Kanta Center speaker, it’s work beautiful for me. I’m very happy with it. Never worry about overkill. You will never look back and wonder what if I ?
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll give the Aria a try and see how it goes, I can always sell it. Its not only the cost for the Kanta Center that gives me pause, its also the size and weight. I have to mount this center above a 75" screen and that would be a challenge. I'll likely do i tin the future, but Im hoping the matching drivers and size of the Aria will suffice for now..

Have a great weekend!

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Heres my latest since last time I was on this thread.
Nice set up! Are those the JL Audio e112's? Im using 3 e110's in my room and love them!

Hate to say it... but now you need a bigger screen! :)

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Nice set up! Are those the JL Audio e112's? Im using 3 e110's in my room and love them!

Hate to say it... but now you need a bigger screen! :)
Yes, My wife says the same about the tv, LOL. Will get a 75” some day.
Yes, those are JL e112’s. I also own the Aria 906 that I use for surround speakers. I’m working on getting 2 more to replace my old JBL surround rears. The Aria’s Flax Cones sound very nice.
Great match for Kantas.
Whats under your tv screen that won’t allow for your center speaker?

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, My wife says the same about the tv, LOL. Will get a 75” some day.
Yes, those are JL e112’s. I also own the Aria 906 that I use for surround speakers. I’m working on getting 2 more to replace my old JBL surround rears. The Aria’s Flax Cones sound very nice.
Great match for Kantas.
Whats under your tv screen that won’t allow for your center speaker?
Very nice setup! I love how Focals look. What are the gray boxes on either side of your couch? Looks like it could be some nearfield subwoofage?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Very nice setup! I love how Focals look. What are the gray boxes on either side of your couch? Looks like it could be some nearfield subwoofage?
Those are my outdoor party speakers that hooks up to a music mixer that I use for block party. It cranks! The cops usually visit often.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis