Any audible advantages of B&W 702 S3 over 703 S3?

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
There's a $1,000 price difference between the B&W 702 S3 and 703 S3. The specs are nearly identical. The former has three base drivers whereas the latter has two. I'd be using this in a 5.1 setup (i.e. always routing bass to the sub). In such a setup, would there be any advantages to having three base drivers that would justify the extra cost?

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Can't answer your question, but I'm glad you asked it. I have the same towers on my radar for this year. Looking forward to feedback from those who have heard both.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
There's a $1,000 price difference between the B&W 702 S3 and 703 S3. The specs are nearly identical. The former has three base drivers whereas the latter has two. I'd be using this in a 5.1 setup (i.e. always routing bass to the sub). In such a setup, would there be any advantages to having three base drivers that would justify the extra cost?
The 702 will be able to play louder below 100hz and probably has a little higher in room sensitivity. The 3.1ohm minimum is gonna require a stout amp as BW is notorious for this with their speakers. Some seriously expensive speakers not to consider others, but I think we've discussed this previously.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
The 702 will be able to play louder below 100hz and probably has a little higher in room sensitivity. The 3.1ohm minimum is gonna require a stout amp as BW is notorious for this with their speakers. Some seriously expensive speakers not to consider others, but I think we've discussed this previously.
Thanks. As the crossover will most likely be at 80 Hz, on paper, this would have some benefit. Though would need to listen if that is audible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You get an extra aerofoil 6.5" driver for $1000...they spec different lower reach, with an f3 for one, f6 for the other, so hard to compare, but looks like that might be perhaps be an audible advantage, maybe but with subs? Why just these two B&W speakers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Note that this is the S2 but two things will remain, the batwing response in the curve and the the aforementiined problem with low impedence and hard phase angle in a difficult region of the speakers response.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Ah, one thing I missed is that the 702 S3 has a downwards firing port. I wondered why there was more of a gap when the plinth was installed vs the plinth with the 703 S3. Supposedly that gives you a bit more freedom in speaker placement.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Including a subwoofer is the key decision. It makes the work of woofers in the speaker systems easier and less important. I have speaker systems with woofers simply because I don't turn the sub on for watching TV. I turn in on for watching movies. If I were using the sub all the time I would probably be happy with bookshelf speakers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Note that this is the S2 but two things will remain, the batwing response in the curve and the the aforementiined problem with low impedence and hard phase angle in a difficult region of the speakers response.
Why is the chart so wild for these speakers is it a certain house sound signature there trying to reproduce/replicate ?
I’ve only heard there towers once the $1500ea model many years ago , those looked epic but at best buy I can’t recall if they were good but definitely weren’t bad.

I’d get a sub even with towers but ask for that in subwoofer forum section lol :D

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Why is the chart so wild for these speakers is it a certain house sound signature there trying to reproduce/replicate ?
I’ve only heard there towers once the $1500ea model many years ago , those looked epic but at best buy I can’t recall if they were good but definitely weren’t bad.

I’d get a sub even with towers but ask for that in subwoofer forum section lol :D
All of their speakers tend to follow a house curve, nicknamed the batwing since the inception if the 800 Nautilus line in the late 90s. The 600 series is no different except that in addition to the house curve, it just never measures well outside of it while some of their other upper models measure pretty well and have the ability to EQ the curve without causing more problems (some don't hear it as a problem, some do.)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
All of their speakers tend to follow a house curve, nicknamed the batwing since the inception if the 800 Nautilus line in the late 90s. The 600 series is no different except that in addition to the house curve, it just never measures well outside of it while some of their other upper models measure pretty well and have the ability to EQ the curve without causing more problems (some don't hear it as a problem, some do.)
I’ve never owned them but I have Klipch and some of there speakers measure funky . However I’m sad they dropped the compression horns in all their low to medium speakers up until the rf7. So b & w is treble or mid heavy are they a brand more for music then Theater , some of those like the 800 cost a Fortune .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis