Amplifier recommendations

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I guess you will eventually learn that amps don't, and shouldn't make your system sound much different once you get pass the point of diminishing return. The question is how long it will take and how much you would have spent by then, on various amps. There are some exceptions, such as some (not all) tube amps and amps like Carver's. Apparently (I am not 100% sure), Mr. Carver might have designed certain amps to have a "sound signature". In true, those amps may not be totally transparent, and whether they would sound better or worse than a transparent amp such as Anthem's, will depend on the individual's taste, and/or compatibility (matching?) with the individual's equipment (preamp, speakers etc.).
You have a very good point. I understand now what you mean. Thank you. I appreciate your experience. I really don’t know if I need an amp now. I’ve been switching back-and-forth, amp connected, amp disconnected from AVR.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Amp is the Carver M-1.0t mk II.
Peng is correct. I believe the "t" in the model name refers to "transfer function" series of amps that Carver voiced specifically to mimic a particular tube amp that was popular way back when (can't recall if it was a Marantz or Conrad Johnson or something else).
Diminishing return your referring to means?
At some point, increased expenditure no longer scales with increases in performance, making many of the more expensive amplifiers comparably pitiful value propositions. (Not trying to channel Peng, just hollering out from the peanut gallery.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Peng is correct. I believe the "t" in the model name refers to "transfer function" series of amps that Carver voiced specifically to mimic a particular tube amp that was popular way back when (can't recall if it was a Marantz or Conrad Johnson or something else).
Ah yes, the Carver Challenge! Supposedly that was marketing to satisfy the press/audiophiles afterwards. Never heard anything particular from my M500t amps to back that up, couldn't tell them apart from my regular M500.

ps Interesting thread in the carveraudio forum

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m just not sold on the Anthem MCA325 that was compared on a switch box to the Carver that my neighbor brought over, he had it rebuilt a month ago. The Carver sounded more lively, more bass slam. The anthem, is a little fatiguing in the high frequency range, maybe due to my Onkyo TXRZ 1100 being possibly bright. Or maybe not a good match to the Focal Kanta No 2. I am going to return the Anthem to the stereo store. Also had the Anthem STR, not much difference, just a little more base .

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I’m just not sold on the Anthem MCA325 that was compared on a switch box to the Carver that my neighbor brought over, he had it rebuilt a month ago. The Carver sounded more lively, more bass slam. The anthem, is a little fatiguing in the high frequency range, maybe due to my Onkyo TXRZ 1100 being possibly bright. Or maybe not a good match to the Focal Kanta No 2. I am going to return the Anthem to the stereo store. Also had the Anthem STR, not much difference, just a little more base .
Was the comparison blind and both level matched?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Yes, all amps were matched. And felt sad when the old Carver Amp sounded better than the Anthem.

I’m baffled, I dont know what amp to look at for 2 channel music only. I want to focus more on music.

For Movies, the Onkyo with or without the Anthem amp sounds great.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, all amps were matched. And felt sad when the old Carver Amp sounded better than the Anthem.

I’m baffled, I dont know what amp to look at for 2 channel music only. I want to focus more on music.

And blind? Having a hard time wrapping the noticeable difference around my brain.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m starting to realize that now. Maybe it’s me? I’m frustrated over the amp issue because i have very liitle experience with amps. I have 5 k to spend on amp for my new Speakers. I have over 200 records in very good condition and want to enjoy music after work. Then watch a kick butt movie on bluray before sleep. Read recently that Onkyo receiver is good for movies but not for music, is that true?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I’m starting to realize that now. Maybe it’s me? I’m frustrated over the amp issue because i have very liitle experience with amps. I have 5 k to spend on amp for my new Speakers. I have over 200 records in very good condition and want to enjoy music after work. Then watch a kick butt movie on bluray before sleep. Read recently that Onkyo receiver is good for movies but not for music, is that true?
This is the one I bought to power my new salk speakers.

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/dca-1622/

2ohm stable, excellent distortion numbers and class AB output stage. Ships for around $850 use.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Any receiver that is not good for music wouldn't be much good for anything else either.
You can buy a high power Denon or Yamaha receiver (135 watts per channel) that will give you more power than you are most likely ever to need.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
My onkyo plays pretty darn good without amp. My problem is, why would I spend money on an anthem amp that made barely a small difference.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My onkyo plays pretty darn good without amp. My problem is, why would I spend money on an anthem amp that made barely a small difference.
As long as you can play the volume you want without clipping and distortion, your good. The problem is your speakers dip down to 3.1ohms and probably need a stout amp, but it dosent have to be esoteric

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As I previously alluded to, I only learnt that very fact after spending thousands in multiple times. If you don't have to learn it the expensive way, good for you.:) I still love my amps, they look good, feel good (knowing that they will/should last longer) and do sound great, just not discernibly better than any of my AVRs.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I don't even know why I have an amp. In my early days down the rabbit hole I was chasing a problem with crappy dialog from my center channel. Went through a couple centers, added a thousand dollar amp to the mix, nothing helped. Someone finally talked me into going with a vertical center so I replaced all 3 up front speakers with matching towers and WALLAH! Audionirvana! So now I have highly efficient speakers with an amp. I still use the amp cause I have it, but I really doubt I need it.

But dont ask for it, cause it looks pretty on its shelf so its staying!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

How were they level matched particularly? Very hard to compare amps without this part done well.

I'm with Peng and everettT and Paul DS and Drunkpenguin. I've got a variety of power amps and avrs. Trying to determine characteristics of brightness/warmth or other subjective descriptions per brand I haven't found particularly useful over the years let alone being true (despite reading about them quite a few times in reviews and fora). I've also used pro amps over the more esoteric amps with good results. As I mentioned earlier even had some Carver amps and switching them in and out with various pre-amps and avrs wasn't a sound characteristic deal for me, just capabilities.

If you're really going to play really loud, an external power amp might be a good idea over an avr's amp section these days with speakers that present some challenges as do yours per this summation of the impedance measurements in a test by Stereophile (forgive me if someone else already quoted this):

"Focal specifies the nominal impedance as 8 ohms. The impedance does stay above 8 ohms through the treble, and above 6 ohms in the low- and midbass regions. However, the Kanta No.2's impedance drops below 4 ohms between 80 and 180Hz, with a minimum magnitude of 2.97 ohms at 105Hz (fig.1). In addition, the electrical phase angle has an extremely high value between 70 and 90Hz, where the impedance magnitude is low. This speaker will work best with amplifiers comfortable with a 4 ohm load."

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
You guys are cool. It’s good to hear from you. Sorry, i got overwhelmed by the options of getting a sound system to fit within my budget. The Anthem mca325 would have been a good buy from dealer at a lower cost, which i wanted also to purchase another JL Audio e112 to balance out my sub HT setup. Having both would have been under 5 k. I don’t know where to start for amps. The QSC DCA 1622 sounds interesting. The ATI’s, B&k, Carver m1.0t mk II.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You guys are cool. It’s good to hear from you. Sorry, i got overwhelmed by the options of getting a sound system to fit within my budget. The Anthem mca325 would have been a good buy from dealer at a lower cost, which i wanted also to purchase another JL Audio e112 to balance out my sub HT setup. Having both would have been under 5 k. I don’t know where to start for amps. The QSC DCA 1622 sounds interesting. The ATI’s, B&k, Carver m1.0t mk II.
IMO, among the specified brands, the QSC is cheaper and as acoustically transparent as any other well designed amplifier. Put your saved money aside for noticeable improvements such as possibly better speakers or other worthwhile expense.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Really with your budget there are a lot of good options out there. Even the more budget minded brands out there have some really really good options. I myself as some have mentioned went with pro amps. The crown XLS 2 drive core series. I am super pleased with the results. Ended up selling the Emotiva ones I'd gotten before.

Like @lovinthehd stated I really can't tell much of a difference between amps and avrs. But my room is large and I like to listen at reference levels my speakers have some challenges on driving them. So I need them. So I use them. The crowns sound very good I did A B switch and did this blind tested where I couldn't see the amps with my friends help and couldn't tell the difference between the Crowns and Emotivas. And they are the best bang for my buck so that's what I went with.

Explore around take your time you got a solid budget to work with there. You'll figure it out and good luck on your selection!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis