Amp to Expand System

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
You should probably reread this thread’s answers from the top. It will make you more knowledgeable and confident about making a decision. @PENG and I have both recommended Class D amps and currently own them. Class D amps from hypex are definitely a step up over emotiva in both affordability and bench measurements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
You should probably reread this thread’s answers from the top. It will make you more knowledgeable and confident about making a decision. @PENG and I have both recommended Class D amps and currently own them. Class D amps from hypex are definitely a step up over emotiva in both affordability and bench measurements.

Thank you Golfx on letting me know.

It's definitely been an education that I've been receiving from @PENG @lovinthehd you and others, which is the reason I've asked so many questions because I trust the expertise. Was asking about the the 3 channel XPA, just to get folks thoughts on it because I don't have much knowledge on this.

Which hypex model do you have and what amp did it replace?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I had all Anthem Class AB amps the MCA 325 (3 channel) and the PVA 8 (8 channel). I bought Hypex NC1200s to replace the MCA 325 and Hypex NC252s to replace the PVA8. I believe VTV makes 3 channel amps which should be quite good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you Golfx on letting me know.

It's definitely been an education that I've been receiving from @PENG @lovinthehd you and others, which is the reason I've asked so many questions because I trust the expertise. Was asking about the the 3 channel XPA, just to get folks thoughts on it because I don't have much knowledge on this.

Which hypex model do you have and what amp did it replace?
I've been using Crown XLS class D amps for about 9-10 years now myself (have 5 total). Not a fan of Emotiva due general problems they have with their products and support and lifetime. XPA-3 seems one of their more reliable and durable models, tho.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I had all Anthem Class AB amps the MCA 325 (3 channel) and the PVA 8 (8 channel). I bought Hypex NC1200s to replace the MCA 325 and Hypex NC252s to replace the PVA8. I believe VTV makes 3 channel amps which should be quite good.

It seems like the onus from before were super expensive in comparison to what you have now.

I ended up getting this little guy Hypex NC502MP+NC500MP Three Channel. @Golfx @lovinthehd @PENG

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Yes and yet the Class D amps I have now are more powerful, have much better bench measurements, run cooler and take up about 1/4th the space. So welcome to the future.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been using Crown XLS class D amps for about 9-10 years now myself (have 5 total).
9 years seems long enough to assess those XLS amp's reliability. How about usage though, used daily, weekly etc..? Popular brand name Class AB amps tend to last forever, at least it feels that way, so I am just wondering if you could comment on the XLS amp's long term reliability based on your experience so far.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Good choice, hope you are getting the trigger. For HT, that's practically a must have feature.
Thank you! Just following your guidance.

Yes I did order it with the trigger. @Golfx I'm going to order XLR to RCA the ones from Monoprice. They seem to be alright from what I read Or is is there another option you would suggest?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
9 years seems long enough to assess those XLS amp's reliability. How about usage though, used daily, weekly etc..? Popular brand name Class AB amps tend to last forever, at least it feels that way, so I am just wondering if you could comment on the XLS amp's long term reliability based on your experience so far.
They're pretty much used daily in my main system and my bedroom system, altho they have been idled here and there but not terribly long....some are used on the mains, some on diy subs. One is 2nd gen, a 2502 I picked up used a coupla years ago, the rest are first gen (1500s).

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

Yes I did order it with the trigger. @Golfx I'm going to order XLR to RCA the ones from Monoprice. They seem to be alright from what I read Or is is there another option you would suggest?
Excellent. No if @PENG recommended them then they are good. Enjoy your new stuff. I always enjoy learning from the purchase decisions and the setup and use of new equipment.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Since he seemed to have deferred that to me so let me try:
First of all, let's compare the MP cable's connection diagram to the one recommended by Hypex:

Monoprice:

Monoprice 6ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG (Gold Plated) - Monoprice.com
1640879776971.png

1640880146297.png

It looks to me Monprice does follow Hypex's recommended wiring method.

According to Hypex, the RCA to XLR, if connected correctly as shown the benefits would be almost equal to that of the balanced connection. If you are interested to see the explanation, you can download the datasheet:

NC400 04xx Datasheet (diyaudio.com)
See page 17.

If you don't mind spending more you can get the following cables that may be of higher quality:

Benchmark RCA to XLRM Adapter Cable for Analog Audio - pin 3 to RCA sh - Benchmark Media Systems

or

ghentaudio --- A15 Canare L-4E6S RCA to XLR Interconnect Audio Cable

Ghentaudio is a Chinese company but for some reason their cable was marked "made in Japan":D

1640880763037.png

or

Male XLR to RCA Cable (Stereo Pair) | March Audio Global

March Audio's are super expensive for some reason.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Excellent. No if @PENG recommended them then they are good. Enjoy your new stuff. I always enjoy learning from the purchase decisions and the setup and use of new equipment.

Thank you! Once I'm done setting everything up, I'll post some pics.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Since he seemed to have deferred that to me so let me try:
First of all, let's compare the MP cable's connection diagram to the one recommended by Hypex:

Monoprice:

Monoprice 6ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG (Gold Plated) - Monoprice.com
View attachment 52732
View attachment 52735

It looks to me Monprice does follow Hypex's recommended wiring method.

According to Hypex, the RCA to XLR, if connected correctly as shown the benefits would be almost equal to that of the balanced connection. If you are interested to see the explanation, you can download the datasheet:

NC400 04xx Datasheet (diyaudio.com)
See page 17.

If you don't mind spending more you can get the following cables that may be of higher quality:

Benchmark RCA to XLRM Adapter Cable for Analog Audio - pin 3 to RCA sh - Benchmark Media Systems

or

ghentaudio --- A15 Canare L-4E6S RCA to XLR Interconnect Audio Cable

Ghentaudio is a Chinese company but for some reason their cable was marked "made in Japan":D

View attachment 52736

or

Male XLR to RCA Cable (Stereo Pair) | March Audio Global

March Audio's are super expensive for some reason.
Thank you @PENG for being so detailed. I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking either the Monoprice or Benchmarks. The latter option should like it's higher quality but it's so easy to order the Monoprice through Amazon.

Which ones do you use?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you @PENG for being so detailed. I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking either the Monoprice or Benchmarks. The latter option should like it's higher quality but it's so easy to order the Monoprice through Amazon.

Which ones do you use?
I have the Monoprice Premier series that I used with my QSC RMX850a pro amp but I no longer has it so my RCA to XLR are idling. As I mentioned before, forum members asked how they would perform with the Denon AVRs I tested it last week and found no issues at all, virtually silent, though when I tested it with the amp powered on another outlet on a different feed, it did get noisier.

If you order from Amazon and if it doesn't work well you can return it and buy Benchmark's that costs more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty easy to make your own cables, too....what I did when I needed unbalanced to balanced....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis