Amp to Expand System

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you! Once I'm done setting everything up, I'll post some pics.
While you are waiting for the amp, you probably should read the linked post below, and do some experiment to see if you can follow it. The advantage of assigning the front left and right channel to pre out is that the AVR will disconnect the corresponding power amp channels so that the pre out signal will remain pristine even at voltages higher than 3 V. Otherwise by the time it reaches 2 V, THD+N for the pre out would increase to about 0.018%, that may still be more than good enough but the feature is there, so should take advantage of it. FYI, At 2 V output, the Hypex NC502MP would be driven to output 200 W into 8 ohms or 400 W into 4 ohms.

Using the amp assign trick, you do have to set the assign mode to 11.1 even if you are only using 9.1, so the key is whether you can still do it by manually configuring the AVR to 11 channels, then assign the FL/FR to pre out and then go back to speaker setup and set it back to 9.1 again. I think it should work, but try it now so when the amp arrives you are ready.

The AVR-X4700H does have the preamp mode but you can use it unless you don't have to use the internal amps at all.

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated) | Page 66 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I have the Monoprice Premier series that I used with my QSC RMX850a pro amp but I no longer has it so my RCA to XLR are idling. As I mentioned before, forum members asked how they would perform with the Denon AVRs I tested it last week and found no issues at all, virtually silent, though when I tested it with the amp powered on another outlet on a different feed, it did get noisier.

If you order from Amazon and if it doesn't work well you can return it and buy Benchmark's that costs more.
I think I might go with the benchmark this way I don't have to deal with potential returns. Also, I read some reviews on Amazon where some folks weren't too happy with the Monoprice ones. I kind of want to be one and done when it comes to this.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Pretty easy to make your own cables, too....what I did when I needed unbalanced to balanced....
I'm the worst when it comes to being handy and fixing things around the house. Building a cable would extremely difficult for me lol

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
While you are waiting for the amp, you probably should read the linked post below, and do some experiment to see if you can follow it. The advantage of assigning the front left and right channel to pre out is that the AVR will disconnect the corresponding power amp channels so that the pre out signal will remain pristine even at voltages higher than 3 V. Otherwise by the time it reaches 2 V, THD+N for the pre out would increase to about 0.018%, that may still be more than good enough but the feature is there, so should take advantage of it. FYI, At 2 V output, the Hypex NC502MP would be driven to output 200 W into 8 ohms or 400 W into 4 ohms.

Using the amp assign trick, you do have to set the assign mode to 11.1 even if you are only using 9.1, so the key is whether you can still do it by manually configuring the AVR to 11 channels, then assign the FL/FR to pre out and then go back to speaker setup and set it back to 9.1 again. I think it should work, but try it now so when the amp arrives you are ready.

The AVR-X4700H does have the preamp mode but you can use it unless you don't have to use the internal amps at all.

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated) | Page 66 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Thanks @PENG for this information and I also read the link too.

I have a few questions that seem like I should know the answer to but since I'm new to all this and I'm not smartest person out there, please bare with me.

1. So by doing the amp assign to the front left and right, the avr will disconnect those channels but still work through the amp?

2. Since I'll have 11.1, do I set the setting to 11.1 and leave it as so?

3. For this part: "FYI, At 2 V output, the Hypex NC502MP would be driven to output 200 W into 8 ohms or 400 W into 4 ohms." I thought the NC502MP delivers 350 W into 8 ohms, what did I miss?

4. Also, if I'm connecting the center to the amp do I have to do some special assignment to that as well or no?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks @PENG for this information and I also read the link too.

I have a few questions that seem like I should know the answer to but since I'm new to all this and I'm not smartest person out there, please bare with me.

1. So by doing the amp assign to the front left and right, the avr will disconnect those channels but still work through the amp?

2. Since I'll have 11.1, do I set the setting to 11.1 and leave it as so?

3. For this part: "FYI, At 2 V output, the Hypex NC502MP would be driven to output 200 W into 8 ohms or 400 W into 4 ohms." I thought the NC502MP delivers 350 W into 8 ohms, what did I miss?

4. Also, if I'm connecting the center to the amp do I have to do some special assignment to that as well or no?
1. By assigning the FL and FR to pre out, the pre outs of those 2 channels will disconnect their corresponding power amps so that they can be reassigned to the height/Atmos channels that you would do if you do run 11.1.1

2. Yes, but until that happens, if you are only using 9 channels, you should change it back so the AVR will down mix properly.

3. I used 2 V only as an example because like Audioholics.com, ASR always measured unbalanced output at 2V. I mentioned the 4700 can output more than 3 V, in fact even 4 V but beyond about 3.6 V the signal will likely begin to clip. At above 2 V, if you don't use the amp assign trick or preamp mode, THD+N will begin to increase at a higher rate.

At about 2.65 to 2.7 V, the NC502MP will reach it's rated output of 350 W into 8 ohms.

4. No, it would be nice, but the amp assign trick only works for the FL and FR channels. The only D+M models than can do it to any channel of your choice are the AVR-X8500H/HA and the AVR-A110. No other Denon and Marantz models has that feature.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
1. By assigning the FL and FR to pre out, the pre outs of those 2 channels will disconnect their corresponding power amps so that they can be reassigned to the height/Atmos channels that you would do if you do run 11.1.1

2. Yes, but until that happens, if you are only using 9 channels, you should change it back so the AVR will down mix properly.

3. I used 2 V only as an example because like Audioholics.com, ASR always measured unbalanced output at 2V. I mentioned the 4700 can output more than 3 V, in fact even 4 V but beyond about 3.6 V the signal will likely begin to clip. At above 2 V, if you don't use the amp assign trick or preamp mode, THD+N will begin to increase at a higher rate.

At about 2.65 to 2.7 V, the NC502MP will reach it's rated output of 350 W into 8 ohms.

4. No, it would be nice, but the amp assign trick only works for the FL and FR channels. The only D+M models than can do it to any channel of your choice are the AVR-X8500H/HA and the AVR-A110. No other Denon and Marantz models has that feature.
Awesome stuff, thank you!

I'll make sure to assign the the FL and FR to the corresponding pre outs of those channels.

Now on this one: "By assigning the FL and FR to pre out, the pre outs of those 2 channels will disconnect their corresponding power amps so that they can be reassigned to the height/Atmos channels that you would do if you do run 11.1.1". Since I already have my heights assigned to the corresponding heights channel on the avr, I don't have to switch them to the FL and FR?

Also, is this the correct configuration in terms of pre out fronts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome stuff, thank you!

I'll make sure to assign the the FL and FR to the corresponding pre outs of those channels.

Now on this one: "By assigning the FL and FR to pre out, the pre outs of those 2 channels will disconnect their corresponding power amps so that they can be reassigned to the height/Atmos channels that you would do if you do run 11.1.1". Since I already have my heights assigned to the corresponding heights channel on the avr, I don't have to switch them to the FL and FR?

Also, is this the correct configuration in terms of pre out fronts?

All good..

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
All good..
Thanks again!

Btw, I'm giving the Monoprice cables a shot first just because the other ones charge for delivery. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Happy new year to you and your family!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again!

Btw, I'm giving the Monoprice cables a shot first just because the other ones charge for delivery. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Same to you, and you should be happy anyway with a new toy coming.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again!

Well, so is Monoprice somewhere in there.... :)

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
There's just shipping charges included in a price vs one added to a price....no free lunch.
Oooooooh I see what you mean.

The only thing on Amazon, Monoprice are priced at $12 and the Benchmark at $35 plus $17 shipping. If Mono is baking it in the price, then it's pretty nominal. I hope they work fine bc if not then I would have to return and get Benchmark's :(

Btw, Happy New Year to you and your family!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The only thing on Amazon, Monoprice are priced at $12 and the Benchmark at $35 plus $17 shipping. If Mono is baking it in the price, then it's pretty nominal. I hope they work fine bc if not then I would have to return and get Benchmark's :(

I think the Monoprice will likely work fine, it's more on the unbalanced to balanced what you do with the shield...there's also another brand on Amazon that has reasonable prices and uses good cable stock and connectors called World's Best Cables (somewhat a sly joke, they poke fun at the audiophilia with cables).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Don't forget you need to buy two for stereo use.:D

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I think the Monoprice will likely work fine, it's more on the unbalanced to balanced what you do with the shield...there's also another brand on Amazon that has reasonable prices and uses good cable stock and connectors called World's Best Cables (somewhat a sly joke, they poke fun at the audiophilia with cables).
I'm check those out as well!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis