Amp to Expand System

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yessirrrr!
Well then you can consider the Buckeye amp, or a vtv amp that costs a little more. I have one from each that replaced my big and heavy Bryston and Parasound Halo amps. Planning on starting a thread on this soon. The x4700h should work well with those amps.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Well then you can consider the Buckeye amp, or a vtv amp that costs a little more. I have one from each that replaced my big and heavy Bryston and Parasound Halo amps. Planning on starting a thread on this soon. The x4700h should work well with those amps.
I looked for it and it seems like it's made by individuals so I think I'm missing it. You wouldn't happen to know the official site to purchase from, would you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked for it and it seems like it's made by individuals so I think I'm missing it. You wouldn't happen to know the official site to purchase from, would you?
Well many things are made by individuals. They are marketed internet direct so you buy from them....

Start here for Buckeye https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckeye-amps-new-us-based-hypex-multichannel-amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

VTV https://vtvamplifier.com/vtv-purifi/V

Last edited:
P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Hello everyone,
When it comes to amp selection to expand to 7. 2.4 it has come down to the monolith 3 channel or the Emotiva basx2. The monolith is almost a thousand dollars extra. Is it worth to get the monolith for that extra money or no? And why?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello everyone,
When it comes to amp selection to expand to 7. 2.4 it has come down to the monolith 3 channel or the Emotiva basx3. The monolith is almost a thousand dollars extra. Is it worth to get the monolith for that extra money or no? And why?
Neither, that's because I have now tried two class d amps, a Hypex and a Purifi so I know they are excelllent choices. Both have much better specs, bench test results and more cost effective than the Monolith. I bet Monolith will offer class d amps soon too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello everyone,
When it comes to amp selection to expand to 7. 2.4 it has come down to the monolith 3 channel or the Emotiva basx3. The monolith is almost a thousand dollars extra. Is it worth to get the monolith for that extra money or no? And why?
Why down to those two particularly? They're not particularly comparable except that they both have three channels of power. To an extent the Emotiva is a better cost per watt, but simply isn't quite the power output level of the Monolith otoh. Is it worth $800 more for 60 wpc more? Maybe....

@PENG are either of the Hypex or Purifi amps you got able to use an unbalanced connection? How about sensitivity for using such, will a typical avr be fine driving one?

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Neither, that's because I have now tried two class d amps, a Hypex and a Purifi so I know they are excelllent choices. Both have much better specs, bench test results and more cost effective than the Monolith. I bet Monolith will offer class d amps soon too.
Thanks for giving your insight on that. I was looking at this one from VTV. https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-hypex-nc252mpnc250mp-three-channel-amplifier-3x250-w/

The only thing that had me a little apprehensive about it is that I couldn't find a lot of feedback online about them. Also I have two BP9020's and a CS9080, and I sit about 11 feet away from LCR so didn't know if I would need that much wattage.

I'm new to all this so I don't have much knowledge. What are your thoughts on the 3 choices given the current situation?

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Why down to those two particularly? They're not particularly comparable except that they both have three channels of power. To an extent the Emotiva is a better cost per watt, but simply isn't quite the power output level of the Monolith otoh. Is it worth $800 more for 60 wpc more? Maybe....

@PENG are either of the Hypex or Purifi amps you got able to use an unbalanced connection? How about sensitivity for using such, will a typical avr be fine driving one?
Sorry, I meant the BAS 2. The reason I was thinking about the monolith is because majority of the reviews seem to be extremely positive but at the same time it is the most expensive. Also, I'm new to all this so I don't have much knowledge and I'm trying to figure out out. With the BASx 2 it would be 40 wattage difference and it would be enough to extend the extra two channels but since I don't have a point of reference when it contra to amps, I'm not sure if the extra 800 is worth it for an extra channel and 40 watts. From your experience so you feel like it is or no?

I was also considering this one but it seems like there's not a lot of info on it online.

I sit about 11 feet away from LCR, I have BP9020's and a CS9080. Given the current situation what are your thoughts on my options?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
VTV is relatively new but @PENG has one so I''d go with his comments on build quality and usefulness. The Hypex and Purifi amp modules are relatively new so not much long term info on them yet for any of the brands using them. Audiosciencereview.com has some reviews of various implementations of these by a few brands.

If I'm going to go for a more powerful amp than the avr, I'd think mostly about improving the L/C/R as they're the most important....and I'd go L/C/R over just L/R in a multich system.

I looked back and you mention 7.4.2....so 7 ch bed layer, four subs and 2 Atmos? Or do you mean 2 subs and 4 Atmos?

Have you used this calculator to help determine/estimate your amp needs? http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Thanks again for your help. Yes the three channels makes more sense. Sorry I meant 2 subs and 4 height speakers.

I haven't used the calculator but I'll give it a whirl.

What are your thoughts on the wattage difference of monolith vs emotiva, is the 800 difference with that extra wattage with it or no?

Last edited:
P

Project SOG

Audioholic
VTV is relatively new but @PENG has one so I''d go with his comments on build quality and usefulness. The Hypex and Purifi amp modules are relatively new so not much long term info on them yet for any of the brands using them. Audiosciencereview.com has some reviews of various implementations of these by a few brands.

If I'm going to go for a more powerful amp than the avr, I'd think mostly about improving the L/C/R as they're the most important....and I'd go L/C/R over just L/R in a multich system.

I looked back and you mention 7.4.2....so 7 ch bed layer, four subs and 2 Atmos? Or do you mean 2 subs and 4 Atmos?

Have you used this calculator to help determine/estimate your amp needs? http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Also, here are the results. What do you think?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, here are the results. What do you think?
Why'd you use 140wpc? I usually run it more conservatively and just use 2 speakers with no boundary consideration, too. Even with that in mind I think you're fine as is myself....how loud do you usually listen?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They are for my two channel systems so I use balanced, but guys on ASR asked the same question so I tried my Monoprice RCA to XLR cable (that I had used successfully with my first pro amp, the QSC RMX850a) and used it to connected the Hypex amp to the Denon AVR-X4400H. It was near silent at up to volume 0, and even at +18, it was still noticeably quieter than the AV8801. That was expected anyway because I opened up the Monoprice connectors before and knew that they were connected as recommended by Hypex/Bruno. The gain of those amps are about 2 dB lower than that of the Monolith's but the Denon AVRs can output higher than 4 V and at 2 V SINAD would drop to about 75 dB that is 0.018% THD+N so it isn't a problem even if preamp mode cannot be used.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, I meant the BAS 2. The reason I was thinking about the monolith is because majority of the reviews seem to be extremely positive but at the same time it is the most expensive. Also, I'm new to all this so I don't have much knowledge and I'm trying to figure out out. With the BASx 2 it would be 40 wattage difference and it would be enough to extend the extra two channels but since I don't have a point of reference when it contra to amps, I'm not sure if the extra 800 is worth it for an extra channel and 40 watts. From your experience so you feel like it is or no?

I was also considering this one but it seems like there's not a lot of info on it online.

I sit about 11 feet away from LCR, I have BP9020's and a CS9080. Given the current situation what are your thoughts on my options?
There are tons of information on the Hypex amps, and I have gathered some links to make it easier for people like you who may be curious about class D amps but don't know much about them. VTV does not need to provide much info because they simply buy the parts, in some cases, kits from Hypex and Purifi and assembled them. If you want to dig into the details, you should read the manufacturers, that is, Hypex and Purifi's data sheets which have much more information than Monolith and Emotiva provide on their websites.

Class D power amplifiers | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

If you don't have time to read that much, you can just take a look of some reviews such as the following:

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Purifi Audio's Pint-Sized Powerhouses

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

Buckeye 6 Channel Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

The VTV hypex based amps and Buckeye amps both have very good build quality. VTV had some issues in the beginning but based on users and forum feedback they have made a lot of improvements, to the point I can't really find things to complain about. For values, I would go with Buckeye amps if you can live with the slightly longer delivery. As you mentioned, the business is owned and run by one individual who is working on his PhD.

I am so happy with those amps that I finally got rid of my beloved Bryston SST and Parasound Halo amps. The Monolith amps are good two for real world use, but in terms of specs and bench measurements, the Hypex/Purifi amps including those built by "an individual":) are far superior, no comparison at all.

If you must choose between the Monolith 200WX3 and the Emotiva's Bas X, I think the choice should be obvious.;)

Last edited:
P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Why'd you use 140wpc? I usually run it more conservatively and just use 2 speakers with no boundary consideration, too. Even with that in mind I think you're fine as is myself....how loud do you usually listen?
Sorry about that. I'm an idiot and wasn't sure what number to enter. I thought I was supposed to enter the amount of watts of the amp I would be considering.

When I'm watching a movie on my own, I listen at around - 30. My system has only been calibrated with Audessey but haven't used REW yet. Dealing with a little bit of time constraint

What's the right number to enter?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about that. I'm an idiot and wasn't sure what number to enter. I thought I was supposed to enter the amount of watts of the amp I would be considering.

When I'm watching a movie on my own, I listen at around - 30. My system has only been calibrated with Audessey but haven't used REW yet. Dealing with a little bit of time constraint

What's the right number to enter?
I was just expecting you'd plug in the existing amp's spec to start, but what you're aiming at would work as well. At your listening levels I'd not worry about more than the avr's amps....my usual levels are -20 and I'm being nicer to my ears in my old age :). Spend the money on getting up to the four subs instead :)

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
There are tons of information on the Hypex amps, and I have gathered some links to make it easier for people like you who may be curious about class D amps but don't know much about them. VTV does not need to provide much info because they simply buy the parts, in some cases, kits from Hypex and Purifi and assembled them. If you want to dig into the details, you should read the manufacturers, that is, Hypex and Purifi's data sheets which have much more information than Monolith and Emotiva provide on their websites.

Class D power amplifiers | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

If you don't have time to read that much, you can just take a look of some reviews such as the following:

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - Purifi Audio's Pint-Sized Powerhouses

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

Buckeye 6 Channel Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

The VTV hypex based amps and Buckeye amps both have very good build quality. VTV had some issues in the beginning but based on users and forum feedback they have made a lot of improvements, to the point I can't really find things to complain about. For values, I would go with Buckeye amps if you can live with the slightly longer delivery. As you mentioned, the business is owned and run by one individual who is working on his PhD.

I am so happy with those amps that I finally got rid of my beloved Bryston SST and Parasound Halo amps. The Monolith amps are good two for real world use, but in terms of specs and bench measurements, the Hypex/Purifi amps including those built by "an individual":) are far superior, no comparison at all.

If you must choose between the Monolith 200WX3 and the Emotiva's Bas X, I think the choice should be obvious.;)
PENG, thank you so much for being detailed in your response and taking the time to help me.

As you can see I really don't know much about this which is the reason why I was looking at videos and reviews. I know it's not the smartest thing to do because looking at the specs is definitely a lot more valuable. The only thing I know about amps, is that higher watts equals more power but I know there's a lot more to consider that I don't know about.

I was leaning towards the monolith but it's super expensive so if the 3x250 VTV is a better option and it's cheaper then it's definitely a top pick.

To know a little more about this, which one is a better amp, the class ab or class d? If my speakers can be driven with a 200 watt amp, would the 250 watt power channel still be ok with it or no?

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I was just expecting you'd plug in the existing amp's spec to start, but what you're aiming at would work as well. At your listening levels I'd not worry about more than the avr's amps....my usual levels are -20 and I'm being nicer to my ears in my old age :). Spend the money on getting up to the four subs instead :)
Hahaha... No waaaaaay on the for subs. The two PB 2000 Pro's, shake down the house. So do you feel that the VTV 3x250 would be too much? Would the Emotiva 3x140 suffice?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha... No waaaaaay on the for subs. The two PB 2000 Pro's, shake down the house. So do you feel that the VTV 3x250 would be too much? Would the Emotiva 3x140 suffice?
Even the Monolith would only net you a 2.0 dB advantage, the Emotiva less than that. At your listening levels why even bother with an external amp?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis