Amp Emotiva Basx A-700 vs Marantz 8077

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Umm...Lol.. thanks PENG! For a few minutes last night I thought you was really mad at me. ;) what's that on top? One of those little hovercrafts? ;):p. Can't be a drone, that'll be kinda like me. Just trying to be part of the collective like the Borg! I have been assimilated!:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Umm...Lol.. thanks PENG! For a few minutes last night I thought you was really mad at me. ;) what that on top? One of those little hovercrafts? ;):p.
Never mad at anyone on AH lol.. I didn't realize the thing needs a good vacuum already, just show how trouble free it has been.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Like Denon, Yamaha, Sony, NAD, Anthem, Arcam and many other receiver manufacturers, they have been making all sorts of nice amps for years.
Yep, knew that just never seen a "tunnel" inside one. Good thing it wasn't a AVR, man TLS Guy, surely wouldn't like something like that in a amp..umm AVR. Just joking around man. I don't eat, live and breathe, transistors, diodes and resistors like you guys. But I do believe Hugo is the hulk in disguise. Gene said so once in a chat I had with him, in a inbox chat. ;)

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Do not put anything on top of that amp! Just cause it has a fan inside still doesn't mean it will not overheat and shut down on you. You did say you like high volume listening. If you really decide to get one treat that nice Marantz amp like you would a fine woman, be gentle, kind to it, but when you do need to heat it up ;), remember cool down is very important with electronics. Just like a fine woman. Cuddle your amp afterwards so to speak.:p:D. have a good one down in Brazil! Oh you know of someone who can get me a really good deal on Colombian coffee beans? That dude Juan Valdez, his product isn't as good as it used to be. ;) I want some coffee beans straight off the bush straight to me.:p;):D. that's some humor in this post. Joking around some, and if you believe my sense of humor is strange, wait till you get to know some of the older members. ;):D

I was kidding, i will use a silent cooler over the amp, want shake the house =))

If you can find a used MM8003 for a good price, go for it. It measured better than the 8077 by Sound and vision. There is no reason though, as the two amps are almost identical internally.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8003-preampprocessor-and-mm8003-multichannel-power-amplifier-measurements
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8801-surround-processor-amp-mm8077-amplifier-ht-labs-measures
Measurements for the 8003
image: https://www.soundandvision.com/images/archivesart/808mar.fig.jpg

This graph shows that the MM8003’s left amplifier channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads at 1kHz, reached 0.1% distortion at 174.8 watts and 1% distortion at 192.5 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reached 0.1% distortion at 248.0 watts and 1% distortion at 289.1 watts.
With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 127.1 watts and 1% distortion at 150.1 watts.
With eight channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 109.7 watts and 1% distortion at 122.3 watts. Under these conditions, the manufacturer’s stated distortion of 0.08 % was reached at 108.6 watts, which is considerably less than the 140Wpc specified by Marantz.
Is much hard find it here, but thanks.

I have this cooler too, i like.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all for try help.

My choice will be entry in the "Tunnel" of the marantz 8077 haha

The good think is with this design you can put other things over the amp, because the cooler is in lateral

It really should be a refined product, power consumption is 800w and delivers 108w on 7 simultaneous channels, while the emotive is 1000w and delivers 80w per channel all powered.
I wouldn't read too much into power consumption spec unless you know the particular basis of the spec.....for example is this maximum or some sort of nominal rating?

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I wouldn't read too much into power consumption spec unless you know the particular basis of the spec.....for example is this maximum or some sort of nominal rating?
In manual only says 800w, in back the unit too, but not say If is nominal or peak.

In my mind when more power consumption more power he have in each channel, class ab arround 70% efficiency ? In theory 560w/7 Channel = 80w.

And the a-700, says 1000w, so 700/7= 100w.

But in real world the 8077 have more output than the a-700 i really dont know how is possible hahah

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless you know the basis of the spec....

ACD ratings are only so useful in the real world, too, as that isn't something that's called upon all that often (i.e. full output to each channel simultaneously). I have an avr with a similarly stated power consumption spec (i.e. no particular basis mentioned) of 780W (class AB) but has been measured with output of 7x108wpc (at .1%THD, at 1% THD over 120wpc).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In manual only says 800w, in back the unit too, but not say If is nominal or peak.

In my mind when more power consumption more power he have in each channel, class ab arround 70% efficiency ? In theory 560w/7 Channel = 80w.

And the a-700, says 1000w, so 700/7= 100w.

But in real world the 8077 have more output than the a-700 i really dont know how is possible hahah
As HD alluded to, manufacturers define their own power consumption instead of following an universal approved standard. If may be a good indicator if you are comparing say the MM8055 to MM8077, because Marantz likely use the same standard for their multichannel amps, but not to Emotiva's or Yamaha's.

Your class AB, 70% eff criteria is a good one for estimating the actual output, but it only works if you know that 800 W is in fact (sadly, we don't know) the power consumption for all channel driven to the unit's rated output. A better way to look at is to consider the transformer's VA rating, and the storage capacitance but Emotiva does not provide such information for the A700.

From what I can see, the A700 does not offer more power output than your AVR-X3500H. In fact, the AVR-X3400H measured a little better on the bench.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review-test-bench
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-basx-system-review-test-bench

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I was kidding, i will use a silent cooler over the amp, want shake the house =))

Is much hard find it here, but thanks.

I have this cooler too, i like.
My friend quoting specs is one thing understanding them is a whole different ball game. Do your own research, your posting up what you are finding in the owner's manuals, or what you read on the back of the units your interested in it's a start. But like PENG, and Loveinthehd posted and commented on. They have just told you that Marantz amp with the "tunnel" thingy is a really good amp. Unless your going to spend a Lot more one a add on amp that Marantz will do the job easily for what your want to do. Loud all over your house ear bleeding sound.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
As HD alluded to, manufacturers define their own power consumption instead of following an universal approved standard. If may be a good indicator if you are comparing say the MM8055 to MM8077, because Marantz likely use the same standard for their multichannel amps, but not to Emotiva's or Yamaha's.

Your class AB, 70% eff criteria is a good one for estimating the actual output, but it only works if you know that 800 W is in fact (sadly, we don't know) the power consumption for all channel driven to the unit's rated output. A better way to look at is to consider the transformer's VA rating, and the storage capacitance but Emotiva does not provide such information for the A700.

From what I can see, the A700 does not offer more power output than your AVR-X3500H. In fact, the AVR-X3400H measured a little better on the bench.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x3400h-av-receiver-review-test-bench
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/emotiva-basx-system-review-test-bench
Excellent placement, had not researched about the power of the 3400 (3500 must be identical) and the a-500, I was reassured to know that my 3500 has firepower, because i imagined it to provide something around 30w in 5 channels.

Now you got me thinking about the 7055 vs 8077, in my country the 8077 is practically double the price, is the toroidal transformer vs ei a big impact on sound? (Because in power, both are practically identical),and the quality of the components makes up for the difference in value?

My friend quoting specs is one thing understanding them is a whole different ball game. Do your own research, your posting up what you are finding in the owner's manuals, or what you read on the back of the units your interested in it's a start. But like PENG, and Loveinthehd posted and commented on. They have just told you that Marantz amp with the "tunnel" thingy is a really good amp. Unless your going to spend a Lot more one a add on amp that Marantz will do the job easily for what your want to do. Loud all over your house ear bleeding sound.
Yeah, everybody are helping me with the final decision and I appreciate that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now you got me thinking about the 7055 vs 8077, in my country the 8077 is practically double the price, is the toroidal transformer vs ei a big impact on sound? (Because in power, both are practically identical),and the quality of the components makes up for the difference in value?
Yeah, everybody are helping me with the final decision and I appreciate that.
I like the 7055 too. The E-I core transformer looks big, and quiet/silent. It has similar tunnel/fan cooling scheme too.

S&V review with measurements:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures#BFqWIA0rBl6uB6gt.99

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.8 watts
1% distortion at 117.8 watts

In the German review, the 7055 did not measure well in the all 5 channels driven scenario, it could be due to different test protocols.

The 8077 however, measured very well in the German review:
http://audiovision.de/marantz-av7704-mm8077-test/

Aside from Portuguese, may be you can read German too, if not, Google translate should work.

The MM8077 also sells for double the price of the 7055, $2,399 vs $1,199.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I like the 7055 too. The E-I core transformer looks big, and quiet/silent. It has similar tunnel/fan cooling scheme too.

S&V review with measurements:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av7005-surround-processor-and-mm7055-amplifier-ht-labs-measures#BFqWIA0rBl6uB6gt.99

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 107.8 watts
1% distortion at 117.8 watts

In the German review, the 7055 did not measure well in the all 5 channels driven scenario, it could be due to different test protocols.

The 8077 however, measured very well in the German review:
http://audiovision.de/marantz-av7704-mm8077-test/

Aside from Portuguese, may be you can read German too, if not, Google translate should work.

The MM8077 also sells for double the price of the 7055, $2,399 vs $1,199.
Now i changed kkkk will buy the 7055, same power, good quality, but the price is the middle of 8077 in my contry.

=))

Great informations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis