Amp Emotiva Basx A-700 vs Marantz 8077

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
View attachment 30659

I've been waiting to do that...

:p
Lmao! Man where you found that. i just snatched it I'm sending it to my brother. It's his fault I'm like I am!!:p:D .. PS you just moved to the top of my list of who to follow. I still can't stop lolo..brother just texted me back..lolo he goes in his text...lolo, shut the f$$k up bitch! ..lolo. told him the members on AH said it's your fault that I'm the way I am, and here is the proof. Lmao..

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
They didn't hide it, if you can't see it clearly in that picture, I got another one for you.

Like my MM8003, it is amazingly light weight but the power transformer's VA rating is higher than that of comparable emotiva amps relatively (to output) speaking. In fact it is comparable to that of the 200 WX5 big and heavy XPA-5. It has much more storage capacitance, 2X50,000 = 100,000 uf vs the XPA-5 gen 1's 60,000 uf.

The fans in my MM8003 never turns on, whether my external fan is on or not. They probably would turn on if I push the amp to near its limit with the external one off.

This amp (again, I assume it is the same as my MM8003 minus one channel) is silent, no hum no nothing, and the trigger works flawlessly.

Interestingly, based on S&V's measurements, my Denon AVR-4308CI actually has more output, but there aren't too many 140 W multichannel power amps that beat the AVR-4308 or 3808 anyway, strange, but true.

View attachment 30661
Umm, PENG I don't see them! Sorry but are they under the PC boards? They gotta be attached to the heat sinks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Umm, PENG I don't see them! Sorry but are they under the PC boards? They gotta be attached to the heat sinks.
In the first pic the power supply is somewhat obscured by wiring, but is behind the two large caps. Why would a power supply be connected to the heat sink vs the amp modules? You do see it in the second pic, right?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
In the first pic the power supply is somewhat obscured by wiring, but is behind the two large caps. Why would a power supply be connected to the heat sink vs the amp modules? You do see it in the second pic, right?
Ok, give me a minute or so, but I do understand what you're saying.
Like this rail..all those power trans mounted on the heatsink.
15663539673525661638253540898757.png

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
So you meant power transistors lol..
Ok I did ask, where are the power trans, at on the rail, I didn't say power supply.. in this case cause there are two in that amp design.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Yep, you da man bro! Woo thought I was really losing my mind for a sec. Look guys I'm no where near the tech level most of you guys here. But do know what a power transistor mounted on heatsink rail, is when I see one.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Maybe I should have said power transistors!! "Trans" for short I didn't feel like typing out transistor too long of a damn word..lol man acronyms can get a guy in a lot of trouble here. :p;)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
So I'll ask again, where did Marantz hide the dam power transistors? Inquiring minds want to know I don't see them gotta be under the boards? Huh? ..

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Never mind, wasn't really that important. Just thought since I haven't seen a amp design like that, and the "tunnel" thing that the OP had originally posted in his first post. Guess each manufacturer his to try and stay ahead of each other. I just feel for Gene, on his XPR crapping out on him just out of warranty and Emotiva refusing to service it. Even people with a BS degree get burnt sometimes I guess huh. My issues with my RBH speakers was just the wrong negative female speaker connectors. Glad I didn't take that marketing managers advice and solder the connectors to the drivers. :cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Obviously they are hidden from view. You will have to disassemble the amp assemblies to see how they are mounted. The output transistor pairs are the Sanken 2SA1216 and 2SC2922 in case you want to know.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Obviously they are hidden from view. You will have to disassemble the amp assemblies to see how they are mounted. The output transistor pairs are the Sanken 2SA1216 and 2SC2922 in case you want to know.
Thanks for the info, I just didn't realize that Marantz manufactured really nice amps. The first time I ever laid eyes on a Marantz AVR was on huge ship in the Gulf of Mexico. The ship was from Norway, it was used as a floatel, think hotel on water. It Housed a 150 men, galley and living quarters. Well lets just call it the tv room and sitting on a mantle was a Marantz AVR. That was back in umm 2007 if I remember right. Well from 2001 to about 2008, I hadn't had audio/video. Was to involved in my career and only having at the most 5 to 7 days back on land each month just didn't have time for this audio hobby. So really from 1996 till 2007 my involvement in audio video was very minimal. At most I'd have mostly a lil all in one cd player thing. But before 1996, and back to the mid 70's full out set-ups from , Marantz stereo receivers Pioneer, Realistic and few more if I think about it. But my very first AVR was in 95 a Sony ES with pre amp outs, had that paired with a TFM-25 , with a BBE sonic maximizer. Bob Carver amps back than wasn't an thing great to look at inside very simple laid out design. But kicked ass and was nice to enjoy. Anyways really appreciate you coming on this thread, as for the OP, he says his from Brazil , but who really knows huh? Far as I would know after all this being the internet, could be some kid in his room on his moms IPad.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Thanks all for try help.

My choice will be entry in the "Tunnel" of the marantz 8077 haha

The good think is with this design you can put other things over the amp, because the cooler is in lateral

It really should be a refined product, power consumption is 800w and delivers 108w on 7 simultaneous channels, while the emotive is 1000w and delivers 80w per channel all powered.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Thanks all for try help.

The good think is with this design you can put other things over the amp, because the cooler is in lateral

It really should be a refined product, power consumption is 800w and delivers 108w on 7 simultaneous channels, while the emotive is 1000w and delivers 80w per channel all powered.
Do not put anything on top of that amp! Just cause it has a fan inside still doesn't mean it will not overheat and shut down on you. You did say you like high volume listening. If you really decide to get one treat that nice Marantz amp like you would a fine woman, be gentle, kind to it, but when you do need to heat it up ;), remember cool down is very important with electronics. Just like a fine woman. Cuddle your amp afterwards so to speak.:p:D. have a good one down in Brazil! Oh you know of someone who can get me a really good deal on Colombian coffee beans? That dude Juan Valdez, his product isn't as good as it used to be. ;) I want some coffee beans straight off the bush straight to me.:p;):D. that's some humor in this post. Joking around some, and if you believe my sense of humor is strange, wait till you get to know some of the older members. ;):D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all for try help.

If you can find a used MM8003 for a good price, go for it. It measured better than the 8077 by Sound and vision. There is no reason though, as the two amps are almost identical internally.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8003-preampprocessor-and-mm8003-multichannel-power-amplifier-measurements
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-av8801-surround-processor-amp-mm8077-amplifier-ht-labs-measures

Measurements for the 8003

image: https://www.soundandvision.com/images/archivesart/808mar.fig.jpg

This graph shows that the MM8003’s left amplifier channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads at 1kHz, reached 0.1% distortion at 174.8 watts and 1% distortion at 192.5 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reached 0.1% distortion at 248.0 watts and 1% distortion at 289.1 watts.
With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 127.1 watts and 1% distortion at 150.1 watts.
With eight channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 109.7 watts and 1% distortion at 122.3 watts. Under these conditions, the manufacturer’s stated distortion of 0.08 % was reached at 108.6 watts, which is considerably less than the 140Wpc specified by Marantz.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Thanks all for try help.

Man, don't even mention Emotiva Marantz in the same sentence. Please use a different paragraph if possible.;):p

@ADTG, that's the last one Andrew!!;):D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the info, I just didn't realize that Marantz manufactured really nice amps.
Like Denon, Yamaha, Sony, NAD, Anthem, Arcam and many other receiver manufacturers, they have been making all sorts of nice amps for years.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis