Amp Emotiva Basx A-700 vs Marantz 8077

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Hello somebody can help me with this ?

Emotiva Basx A-700 VS Marantz 8077

Emotiva =
Power Output (all channels driven):
80 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.

Marantz:
108 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): 100
The "Tunnel" of heat, is a good idea ?

What`s the best choice and why ?

My system 5.1 :
Denon 3500H
Centre = 20 — 120 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity Idk / Monitor audio bronze centre
Front = 30 — 100 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity 90dB / Monitor audio bronze 2
Surround = 15 — 70 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity 88 dB / Monitor audio bronze 1

Thanks for help +)

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The money would probably be better spent on speakers or a sub upgrade/second sub. Its very unlikly the denon is the limiting factor, unless you are adding atmos speakers and need more amplification for the added channels but then a good 2 or 3 channel amp would probably give you more return on investment.
Is your use mainly movies/tv or music?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
I want, more later, buy a processor marantz 7705 and more later 4 atmos.

I use for more movie and music multichannel, have 2 SB 3000, i think i really need amp in system.

I see too, the marantz 7055 but dont have toroidal, so is a Idea ?

I want do the 3500 at moment only processor.

Thanks.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General

I use for more movie and music multichannel, have 2 SB 3000, i think i really need amp in system.

Thanks.
I dont know these amps personally but i very much doubt the emotiva will be an much of an upgrade if at all from the denon. Maybe the marantz, but someone else probably know these better then me.
I hate to say it but you wont really gain much from separates with those speakers, im usually all for spending on amps but unless you plan on getting better speakers for the front later you wont get much return on the investment. I know its tempting, like most ive been there.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You have very nice subs, let them do the job they were made for.
What crossover setting do you use?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Hello somebody can help me with this ?

Emotiva Basx A-700 VS Marantz 8077

Emotiva =
80 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.

Marantz:
108 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): 100
The "Tunnel" of heat, is a good idea ?

What`s the best choice and why ?

My system 5.1 :
Denon 3500H
Centre = 20 — 120 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity Idk / Monitor audio bronze centre
Front = 30 — 100 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity 90dB / Monitor audio bronze 2
Surround = 15 — 70 W / 8 ohm / Sensitivity 88 dB / Monitor audio bronze 1

Thanks for help +)
Ok, so spes, are close with both amps. Now what are you trying to achieve? You didn't mention your room size how far you sit from your mains or even if you have roomtreatments. Where are your Subs, sub placed? Adding a cheap amp isn't going to make your setup sound any better than your Denon. PS, "tunnel" of heat", please enlighten fellow AH reader's just what is that terminology? How it applies to audio? Or is it something you read somewhere or someone told you that Marantz units run hot? I've never seen, read or even heard of Marantz having issues with " tunnel" of heat. Be careful on AH with the use of acronyms. Some of the more experience members may flame you out , just to check your actual knowledge of audio. If they do, don't worry, it would be all in fun.

Last edited:
fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
80hz

Room arround 1000 cubic feet.

Have Room treatments.

Subs placed inthe middle of front speakers.

I like run in high volume, in music, for all house listening in any room.

I think doing the 3500 only processor and run some amp i will Win some beneficts ir sound quality but im dont expert haha

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
80hz

Have Room treatments.

I think doing the 3500 only processor and run some amp i will Win some beneficts ir sound quality but im dont expert haha
With good quality speakers it can if you get a quality amp. A 5 or 7 channel amp that costs less then the reciever is very unlikly to. Todays recievers like your denon 3500h are very good for the money.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
80hz

Have Room treatments.

So you like ear bleeding volume huh? You won't gain anything going with that 80 watt add on amp. Your Denon is more than capable of making your ears bleed. Now you want, more power right? You want your ears to stop working when you reach 50 years old? Do you know what reference level is in dbs? at 0 on you Denon front display that would be past reference level sound. I would bet my last buck that EMO amp your wanting to add above reference level volume it would probably distort. Your Denon has better specs than that Emoe, amp. But that's just my thoughts. I've had amps 500 x 2. Running front mains, was my dynamic swing better? Yes and no, passed reference levels some but not by much. Remember it takes 10 times the power of a 100 x 2 to double the volume pressure dbs. Now do you really what to keep hearing your nice speakers you have or some other speakers you may want down the road? Say a pair of entry level audiophile speakers. Than keep your volume at reference or just below and enjoy your system that you have now. Throwing electronics at the speakers you have now won't improve much if any the sound reproduction. Patience young Padawan, my the force be with you. And remember it's the journey that counts with audio video how much money your willing to spend on it is your choice. Bronze audio speakers, there are good, but much better out there for sure. You'll have to shuck out a minimum of 2k for a nice mid level pair of front mains. Happy hunting.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks.
I think a lot of people feel like they need separate amplification or "better" electronics and in most cases it isn't going to provide any improvement in sound quality. I think you'll be better served upgrading your speakers first.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I think a lot of people feel like they need separate amplification or "better" electronics and in most cases it isn't going to provide any improvement in sound quality. I think you'll be better served upgrading your speakers first.
Yep, those monitor bronze speakers, are a entry level line, of speaker, doesn't that line have a silver and gold line? As you move up with that line of speaker, you get better driver's, better XO, maybe even a better speaker cabinet design. Can't say I haven't done my own research with that line or manufacturer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks.
The MM8077 has better specs than the Emoitva. Toroidal or not doesn't matter, but if you intend to go 7.1.4 then go for the MM8077. I have the 8 channel version, the MM8003 that I like a lot. It has been rock solid, very quiet, and well build. It also measured very well on the S&V bench, better than the MM8077 for whatever reasons. The MM8077 should perform the same as the internal guts are very much the same except it has one less channel.

The X3500H is an excellent prepro, with external amp you can set eco to "on" to reduce heat. The 7705 is obviously better built and has 11 channels, but I highly doubt it could sound audibly better. I would suggest you use the 3500 for now and wait to see what happen with the much anticipated 2020 models.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
So you like ear bleeding volume huh? You won't gain anything going with that 80 watt add on amp. Your Denon is more than capable of making your ears bleed. Now you want, more power right? You want your ears to stop working when you reach 50 years old? Do you know what reference level is in dbs? at 0 on you Denon front display that would be past reference level sound. I would bet my last buck that EMO amp your wanting to add above reference level volume it would probably distort. Your Denon has better specs than that Emoe, amp. But that's just my thoughts. I've had amps 500 x 2. Running front mains, was my dynamic swing better? Yes and no, passed reference levels some but not by much. Remember it takes 10 times the power of a 100 x 2 to double the volume pressure dbs. Now do you really what to keep hearing your nice speakers you have or some other speakers you may want down the road? Say a pair of entry level audiophile speakers. Than keep your volume at reference or just below and enjoy your system that you have now. Throwing electronics at the speakers you have now won't improve much if any the sound reproduction. Patience young Padawan, my the force be with you. And remember it's the journey that counts with audio video how much money your willing to spend on it is your choice. Bronze audio speakers, there are good, but much better out there for sure. You'll have to shuck out a minimum of 2k for a nice mid level pair of front mains. Happy hunting.

Hahahah i like your answer

I think I expressed myself wrong when I said that I like to listen very loudly, what I meant is that I thought that using a higher amp would be gaining dynamic / sound quality, would make the 3500 work quietly, could hear the sound all over the house (But I don't get my ear straight on the speaker, go out in other rooms, do exercises ...) and don't be afraid to clip.

I thought so because when I changed my sub to sb 3000, even though it was an exaggeration for 1000 cubic feet, it was what I was looking for and could feel the bass much better.

In my contry (Brazil) is hard to buy other brands and expensive, because it, i asked for a-700 and 8077... is more accessible here.

Today i found to buy a used arround 5 years years a Sunfire 2 Cinema Grand Signature 5ch, arround the same price of emotiva and marantz.

At moment i`m very confuse, i know of i want a amp, fecause in future i will upgrade my sistem, but what amp is the best choice ?

Thanks for people for try help me =)

The MM8077 has better specs than the Emoitva. Toroidal or not doesn't matter, but if you intend to go 7.1.4 then go for the MM8077. I have the 8 channel version, the MM8003 that I like a lot. It has been rock solid, very quiet, and well build. It also measured very well on the S&V bench, better than the MM8077 for whatever reasons. The MM8077 should perform the same as the internal guts are very much the same except it has one less channel.
The X3500H is an excellent prepro, with external amp you can set eco to "on" to reduce heat. The 7705 is obviously better built and has 11 channels, but I highly doubt it could sound audibly better. I would suggest you use the 3500 for now and wait to see what happen with the much anticipated 2020 models.
I thought that too, i really dont know if the "Tunnel"for heat is good, and if the fan have a failure ? but overall it represents a great product.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I didn't Google your Denon, I just saw Denon 3500, overlooked thw H thing. Anyways, do or try what PENG, suggested or go any route you choose your money. If your looking for clarity on Emotiva, cause they ship overseas or cause they are a cheapo option? Pull up Gene's post on his thoughts, on service and reliability on EMO gear. Gene is the Owner of this forum and website, I believe you may find his post and Threads interesting and educational.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
And about the used Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 2 ? is a good deal or the THD of 0.5 % is much ?

This is the "Tunnel" of marantz 8077, he have a fan in other side :

g642MM8077-o_sideview.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't Google your Denon, I just saw Denon 3500, overlooked thw H thing. Anyways, do or try what PENG, suggested or go any route you choose your money. If your looking for clarity on Emotiva, cause they ship overseas or cause they are a cheapo option? Pull up Gene's post on his thoughts, on service and reliability on EMO gear. Gene is the Owner of this forum and website, I believe you may find his post and Threads interesting and educational.
H is often left off citing the model number (as is the X), just stands for Heos.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
And about the used Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 2 ? is a good deal or the THD of 0.5 % is much ?

This is the "Tunnel" of marantz 8077, he have a fan in other side :

View attachment 30658
Well slap me silly! Buy that thing man!! How old is that unit? Where did you pull that photo up from? I would like to do some research myself on that unit. Tunnel huh? I would call it inverted heat sinks, meaning upside down symmetrical design. Similar but different than Yamaha design with their avrs. Where are the power trans at on those rails? PENG! Chime in bro! The People need your expertise!! Where did Marantz hide the Power trans? I still don't see them. Has a nice clean look inside for sure. Okay, i just went on Marantz website, that unit is a very sweet amp! Price is very reasonable, I need to read post all the way through. They do call it a tunnel, but that's just Marantz terminology marketing maybe? Anyways it's somewhat a beast in itself. Dam, Marantz huh?. I do believe I'll be researching their AVRS, cause I'm about done with Yamaha, Onkyos. ;)

Last edited:
fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Well slap me silly! Buy that thing man!! How old is that unit? Where did you pull that photo up from? I would like to do some research myself on that unit. Tunnel huh? I would call it inverted heat sinks, meaning upside down symmetrical design. Similar but different than Yamaha design with their avrs. Where are the power trans at on those rails? PENG! Chime in bro! The People need your expertise!! Where did Marantz hide the Power trans? I still don't see them. Has a nice clean look inside for sure. Okay, i just went on Marantz website, that unit is a very sweet amp! Price is very reasonable, I need to read post all the way through. They do call it a tunnel, but that's just Marantz terminology marketing maybe? Anyways it's somewhat a beast in itself. Dam, Marantz huh?. I do believe I'll be researching their AVRS, cause I'm about done with Yamaha, Onkyos. ;)
Sorry, but being from another country and because i`m not a expert in HT, I swear, I did not understand very well what you meant say, is a bad or good amp? haha

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Where did Marantz hide the Power trans? I still don't see them. Has a nice clean look inside for sure. Okay, i just went on Marantz website, that unit is a very sweet amp! Price is very reasonable, I need to read post all the way through.
They didn't hide it, if you can't see it clearly in that picture, I got another one for you.

Like my MM8003, it is amazingly light weight but the power transformer's VA rating is higher than that of comparable emotiva amps relatively (to output) speaking. In fact it is comparable to that of the 200 WX5 big and heavy XPA-5. It has much more storage capacitance, 2X50,000 = 100,000 uf vs the XPA-5 gen 1's 60,000 uf.

The fans in my MM8003 never turns on, whether my external fan is on or not. They probably would turn on if I push the amp to near its limit with the external one off.

This amp (again, I assume it is the same as my MM8003 minus one channel) is silent, no hum no nothing, and the trigger works flawlessly.

Interestingly, based on S&V's measurements, my Denon AVR-4308CI actually has more output, but there aren't too many 140 W multichannel power amps that beat the AVR-4308 or 3808 anyway, strange, but true.

1566345019175.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis