American Communist Med Students graduate

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't forgotton and I didn't mean to do a disservice to those who have seen the words through. :eek: All I tried to put across was how hollow words by themselves are. :)

My parents were smart enough to work hard and save but never could've afforded to put me through private education. I didn't put in nearly the effort I should've at school and as a result I've got to where I am, in just as good a position as could be achieved by one privately educated, by hauling myself though further, further and even further education. :p

As an aside, there's a girl at work (summer student) who's going through Cambridge University (very prestigious) at present. She may well be highly educated; she certainly speaks good English, but to me she is just a silly little girl with rich parents who's no clue as to the value of things. How could she; she's probably never wanted for anything.

Being privately educated doesn't impress me whatsoever.
It shouldn't impress you, someone's education shouldn't be used as a measuring stick as far as their abilities, I have friends that are not as "educated" as other, but are extremely intellectual and well read. As for rich kids getting an education, let's just say the market weeds them out. I bussed tables at age 13, worked at Winn-Dixie (large supermarket chain) at 15, when I started university I couldn't work for the first two years due to the workload, but I was able to get part-time my last 3 (5 year program.)

My parent's work ethic was instilled in me, both of my parents worked so I could be privately educated, my grandma took care of me when I was young. I excelled in school because I liked it, I excell at what I do because I also like it, I've been taught not to be a parasite on society, pull my own weight, work hard (since I was 13), pay taxes, vote and be charitable to the needy. I thank my dad always for what he did for me and I'm trying to do the same for my son.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
If you want to qualify for financial aid for college and grad school, you HAVE to sign up for selective service. EVERYONE has to do it. And if a war does break out when you were signed up, and you were called upon, you HAVE to go.

Just for the record, I signed up for selective service when I started college, and renewed my membership for the next 7 years (all through grad school).
I didn't need to qualify for financial help, I did it because I was asked to.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
My parent's work ethic was instilled in me, both of my parents worked so I could be privately educated, my grandma took care of me when I was young. I excelled in school because I liked it, I excell at what I do because I also like it, I've been taught not to be a parasite on society, pull my own weight, work hard (since I was 13), pay taxes, vote and be charitable to the needy. I thank my dad always for what he did for me and I'm trying to do the same for my son.
I think that is an extremely important facet that your parents instilled it also happens to be one I am proud to share.

I grew up in a predominantly affluent area with many of my peers being greatly spoiled (there were all sorts of luxury cars in the high school parking lot from Vipers to Lexus to BMW) by their parents who work very hard. Few of them had jobs or tried at school they were just given money instead of parenting never learning the value of money. As I was growing up I was encouraged to do my chores, which many people I knew at school thought was odd, and as soon as I was old enough I got a job. My parents instilled a very similar work ethic in me especially due to their background: they immigrated to avoid religious persecution in the USSR with 800 dollars in their pocket and no knowledge of English now they are both extremely successful in their respective fields. While my work ethic didn't show in high school academically until my senior year it shines now. I take more classes than many people I know, actually doubling the average, and manage to work as well as volunteer my time at the hospital.

I guess my main point here is a good education starts at home it is as simple as that and to me one of the huge reasons America is falling apart.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
My parent's work ethic was...not to be a parasite on society, pull my own weight, work hard (since I was 13), pay taxes, vote and be charitable to the needy.
Exactly! :) With this in mind, don't you think that whilst a private school itself probably disciplines a pupil more so than a public school, that in the end a huge part of how a child turns out depends on the parents? In other words it's not your going to a private school that moulded you into a responsible concientious person, it was the quality of your parents as a role model and the drive by you to better yourself.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly! :) With this in mind, don't you think that whilst a private school itself probably disciplines a pupil more so than a public school, that in the end a huge part of how a child turns out depends on the parents? In other words it's not your going to a private school that moulded you into a responsible concientious person, it was the quality of your parents as a role model and the drive by you to better yourself.
We must have been posting at the same time because thats exactly what I said. Its the parents primary responsibility the school is more a babysitter ;). Nice to know I'm not the only one.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Absolutely correct, it starts at the home not at the school, but if you hear the political diatribe here in the states: "it takes a village", in other words your child should be taught by the state not the parents according to a well known female politician with a dubious background. A private education allows your child to be instructed in a controlled environment, manageable class size, material taught and values that the parents want to be instilled, civics, etc. Let me stress not all private schools are created equal and there were some my folks wouldn't even consider.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
And to think this all started because of Castro!:D:D:D What a troublemaker!:D:D:D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
You're such a democratic. Your view above is actually rather Stalinist and repressive in nature...read your history.

Why not proffer something productive...after all, you're the nut that originally posted this thread. Yet you refuse to acknowledge the rather poignant post #131.
I wonder if it's possible for you to debate issues instead of your constant, juvenile, sarcastic ad hominum attacks on these people. It would be a nice change, John.

Why don't you surprise everyone and actually present some solid justifications for your positions and sell us on 'your wisdom' instead of attacking everyone like some mad dog.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder if it's possible for you to debate issues instead of your constant, juvenile, sarcastic ad hominum attacks on these people. It would be a nice change, John.

Why don't you surprise everyone and actually present some solid justifications for your positions and sell us on 'your wisdom' instead of attacking everyone like some mad dog.
Why on earth do you keep spelling it hominum?

I explained in my rather lengthy diatribe to you (via pm) that it is hominem, as in argumentum ad hominem. And for some reason you then italicize and embolden it. How's this? If you correct your spelling, I'll stop the ad hominems. You're just too much!

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
edit - Turbans are worn by Sikhs. To my knowledge, there are no wars or terrorism being conducted by Sikhs anywhere in the world. It is a peaceful religion and should be respected.
Why sould it be respected,one good reason that applys to the violence in Iraq reason if you will.

This is where you & i differ,i believe that respect is earned not owed,i respect or trust nobody until they prove they are worthy of my respect,until then i treat all people the same & keep a close eye on them,blindly trusting or respecting people will get your wife raped,home robbed,children molested or a bullet in the head.

There are mini wars that have been going on for lifetimes over that religion,weather you call it a turbin,rag,towel or a helmet its the same thing,in that religion the feuds between clans & differences between beliefs can be so small as how many times a day each sect prays,the way they wear their towel or even at what time they pray,doing any of these activities differently than another sect can & has cost people their life.

Now tell me again why i should respect a religion who's members will kill over how many times a day their neighbor prays or how they wear their turbin.

Respect that religion i think not,its nothing more than a witch hunt.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Why on earth do you keep spelling it hominum?

I explained in my rather lengthy diatribe to you (via pm) that it is hominem, as in argumentum ad hominem. And for some reason you then italicize and embolden it. How's this? If you correct your spelling, I'll stop the ad hominems. You're just too much!
You say tomaatoes, I say tomahhtoes.....:p

Apparently dictionary dot com gives both spellings. I learned mine 45 years ago. You must have learned 'modern' Latin. LOL.

http://www.reference.com/search?q=ad hominum&r=d&db=web

I guess you have to stop the ad hominums now. ;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Apparently dictionary dot com gives both spellings. I learned mine 45 years ago.
Really? Dictionary.com, huh? Well, I don't know about all that, but your post made me question my memory of Latin. Your persistence prompted me to google hominum, and the first site to appear stated the following:

"Hominum is an informal support group to help gay men with challenges of being married, separated or single. We do not practice group therapy. ..."
Further information can be found at http://www.hominum.ca/

I don't know Tomorrow, but you may want to drop the hominum yesterday...not that there's anything wrong with that.;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Really? Dictionary.com, huh? Well, I don't know about all that, but your post made me question my memory of Latin. Your persistence prompted me to google hominum, and the first site to appear stated the following:

"Hominum is an informal support group to help gay men with challenges of being married, separated or single. We do not practice group therapy. ..."
Further information can be found at http://www.hominum.ca/

I don't know Tomorrow, but you may want to drop the hominum yesterday...not that there's anything wrong with that.;)
Do you have a problem with homosexuals?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Is this true? :confused: It seems pretty far fetched to me.
Hey Robbie,i agree far fetched is what any normal human being would think but it is very true, the different religous sects within Iraq most are only seperated by very small differences in the way they interepret Islam.

As said some differences are merely how many times a day each sect prays & others are only seperated by the way they wear their head gear,this is not crap i made up its all out there for the asking.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I would strongly advise using condoms during anal intercourse, as anal intercourse is one of the more physically traumatic (to the anus and the rectum) sexual practices, the risk of STD transmission is extremely high.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I would strongly advise using condoms during anal intercourse, as anal intercourse is one of the more physically traumatic (to the anus and the rectum) sexual practices, the risk of STD transmission is extremely high.
WOW,OUCH:eek:;)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
No. Not at all. Forgive me if I offended you, or anyone for that matter.

Why do you always insist on changing the topic to what you want to talk about? You seemingly get off point, digress and flounder (at least in this thread). No matter, you have helped make it more challenging.

We've pm'd each other about the correct spelling of hominem (as in argumentum ad hominem). It was a polite and insightful exchange...those are some of the things that I truly relish about this forum.

You continually insist that the correct spelling (in Latin) is hominum. I was taught hominem. I've written that to you. This is about correct spelling and Latin...not what you want to make it into.

Please forgive me (sincerely) if I have offended you. That was not my intent. Your persistence and adamance in mispelling the term "hominum" made me question myself...something I do not do lightly, but that I do regularly nevertheless. It was your adamant persistence that prompted me to question my memory, and ultimately google your version of the word "hominem," (in your case, "hominum").

I thought your adamant persistence opened the door wide open for me to perform a proper spell check. What I found under your version, in fact, the very first thing I found under your version, is what I wrote in the above post.

You are obviously a well-educated man, but apparently have a problem admitting a mistake (misspelling). That's o.k. You can keep "saying" (writing actually) "tomahhtoes," and I will refrain from correcting you correcting me when we both know you're the one in the wrong. No matter...I'm not a Latin professor.

Either way, I wish you peace and a good night. Johnd

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis